[ADwD Spoilers] Sansa and Tyrion

Septa Morgaine

However, Tyrion does explicitly mention that he misses Tysha and then mentioning her again as his wife seems overkill. He didn't add "my brother, my brother, I miss the brother who lied to me" to his missing Jaime.

I'm just not sure who Tyrion is referring to. Would be an interesting question that Martin probably wouldn't answer.

Jaime's admission has left him with a huge guilt complex over Tysha and he's been brooding on the way she was treated. He doesn't have that with Jaime.

I agree that it's possible he's referring to either Tysha or Sansa, but Tysha seems more likely: she's the wife he chose for himself, and their brief marriage sounds like it was the happiest time of his life. There isn't much for him to miss with Sansa. There was no such tenderness in their marriage and it would seem strange for him to suddenly romanticise it in retrospect.

There isn't much for him to miss with Sansa. There was no such tenderness in their marriage and it would seem strange for him to suddenly romanticise it in retrospect.

True enough, but Tyrion's emotions can be pretty strange and maybe that is the point of this ambiguous line. After all, it seems strange for him to miss Shae as well, considering it was made very clear to him that everything between them was a lie based on his gold (he should have realised that mostly before the trial already, but he did delude himself to a certain point).

Tyrion does want a beautiful and preferably highborn wife to love him, Sansa could still act as his projection of that fantasy.

Martin could have avoided any confusion by changing the quote to this:

"Jaime, thought Tyrion. Shae. Tysha, my wife, I miss my wife, the wife I hardly knew."

2 small changes (comma instead of point, no capital "M" with the point gone), and no confusion possible. Unless this was an error in editing, it seems like he wanted to create some confusion here.

Tyrion does want a beautiful and preferably highborn wife to love him, Sansa could still act as his projection of that fantasy.

Not really. Sansa made it perfectly clear to him just how much she hated being his wife. Love him? He was convinced that she was praying for his death. She ran away from him and framed him for Joffrey's murder. In ASOS, he thinks that when he was climbing into bed with her he could never forget that he was a hideous Lannister dwarf from her stiffness and the way she would look at him. Any fantasy that Tyrion had of Sansa being the beautiful highborn wife who would love him got blown apart on the wedding night. She then danced on the ashes of his fantasy for the rest of the marriage. It doesn't make sense; his time with Tysha was pleasant (until the end) and Sansa made him terribly miserable.

I don't think a comma would have made any difference. We are all here to theorize, after all, and where would this board be without wishful thinking? :) I am looking at YOU, Tyrion Targaryen Waters theorists!

Archived