Red wedding

Fab

I'm approaching the Red Wedding chapters...(I'm midway thru Catelyn's second to last chapter) and I know what's coming and I'm SCARED TO READ IT. I feel like I have to go to the doctor to get a shot...I know it's gonna hurt!!! Help! How do I get thru it?

I am also approaching the same thing and dreading it. I don't know if I will be able to read it at one go. I think I'll need several attempts before I get there. Tears fill my eyes as I write this. But it will be extremely difficult to let 2 Starks go at the same time. Let's face it, Walder Frey isn't really the most lovable guy out there, but didn't expect him to be this cruel. Even Craster seems like an angel if compared to him.

I registered at this forum after reading these chapters (Catelyn + Arya). I had to close a book after that. I wasn't that mad to throw it away but I have to admit - that was shocking.

Personally - I didn't like Boltons from the very beginning. Now I hate them. Apparently Roose doesn't have blood in his veins. He seemed so cold that it was disgusting.

This + the growing suspicion on my part that none of the characters that we have read literaly many hundreds of pages about, characters whos motives and lives we have put a ton of thought and feeling into, will have little or nothing to do with the end game in the final book. They will have an influence but there will be no real satisfying ending, not jon snow, nor daenys, nor bran, nor arya, not even sansa or tyrion will sit the throne, or will rebuild winterfell and reign as kings of the north etc. I just don't see a positive forming up that equals the negative of the rw. I see some other characters introduced in the last three books being the end-game characters. That from what I've read so far (up to about 200 pages into affc), and what I've seen from others who have read more. It is leading up to a legendary failure of an anti-climax and I'm not sure I want to experience that so intensely. I will, but only as a casual reader who doesn't take the story or the characters, or the author too seriously. GRRM treats his characters like a role playing game player who grows tired of playing one character so he kills it and creates another. Bleh.

^^^If I wanted more "life experience" I would volunteer at a nursing home or homeless shelter instead of reading fantasy novels. I am not looking for a happy ending everyone is great life is so happy type thing either. I enjoy books like "The Road", "The Forgotten Soldier" etc. that are considered incredibly depressing but the story arcs in them leave one with a sense of satisfaction at least. I just don't see that coming with asoiaf, I can't see how it could without a deus ex machina, and if anything, GRRM seems to favor the opposite of that. "Everyone you like dies or becomes irrelevent and you just have to accept that the people I like are going to win in the end". Thats a bit TOO life like really lol.

Like in the book The Road- if the little boy is tortured and murdered on the last page and the sun just sets forever and everyone dies lol. If you read that book you'd see the parrallel here and why such an ending would be an epic fail where that work is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

The Red Wedding was terrible. The climatic feeling, the rain, the bad food, the music etc... it was foreshadowed. Im eager to read about the ressurected Cat. 2 more starks down... I hope Sansa and Arya can atleast survive.. they are my favorites :leer:

Life is tough...get a helmet. If you want to read something where the goodguys always win and Santa comes down from heaven to make everything all better...you are in the wrong series my friend.

Try The Lion the Witch and the wardrobe. :)

I stopped reading after the RW too...I plan to pick the book up again, it's been a few days now but I can't comprehend that sort of injustice and general BS....I mean I realize it is realistic...but it's just ughhhhh ...I was really hoping maybe Robb lived and his mother died. I could cope with that, but killing the Stark children's last real hope?

I know GOT tends to turn archetypes around on us, but I thought maybe since Robb was showing major signs of distress (not changing his bloody clothing, and ignoring his wife, etc) that he would CHANGE as a person, but not be killed. I am gonna tear up seeing the RW on the show because they've given Robb more depth. The actor portraying him will also be missed. :(

• 2 weeks later...

An extremely tough Chapter because we have become so invested in Robb. I was so enthusiastic about his plan to retake the North!

I keep thinking of the different things they could of done! I try to think how would of Eddard handled all of this?

I hated this Chapter especially the way it builds you up and then the doom comes and does not abate, it is complete and utter crushing defeat.

I have powered onto 1st book of ADOD, and I cling onto the fact the whole things has to surely end in joy, it has to revert to type to not be cliche if that makes sense.

Dany is gonna rule, with perhaps Jon or Bran their loyal vassal of the north with Rickon, a famed warrior, Jorah Lord of Bear Island and all those treacherous rogues given justice.

I think my dreamed ideal ending is too clean but I have to cling to it to keep myself reading.

Fab, believe me, all of us came to a dead stop after the Red Wedding.

I didn't I was actually quite glad Catelyn kicked the bucket, her decisions and meddling since Ned left Winterfell have had dire consequences for her family. Robb I had no affiliation towards him, he was like the anti-Joffrey so seeing him die was not nice but I wouldn't say I stopped reading the book because two characters that I had no real love of were offed in such a gruesome and well written scene. Truth be told, there was a bucket load of foreshadowing of the RW and though for a first time reader of the books it was hard to figure out what exactly was going to happen you knew through Catelyn's POV that putting a bun in young Westerling's oven was going to have hard hitting consequences for Robb. You knew going to the Twins was a bad idea and you knew that something was going to go down especially since Arya was on her way to the Twins with the hound and Roose Bolton's scenes with Jamie didn't sit right. Robb had lost the support of the Freys, the Karstarks and Riverrun lords were tired of fighting. He was quickly losing all credibility as a King and a leader. Back of your mind you all knew something was going to happen.

Truth be told I 'grieved' more for Small Jon Umber and all Robb's loyal banner men than I did for Catelyn

I just kept on reading, because I was curious about its impact on the rest of the story.

And I actually thought, "Well, George, now that you killed Robb - how about that brat Joffrey? That would do justice to both Houses." In terms of House Lannister vs. House Stark.

Keep reading. The last third of Storm of Swords is my favorite part of the series. I cried tears of pain and joy. I hate to say that Robb "got what he deserved" but you can't call yourself a king and then behave like a boy. Cat knew, Robb should have.

Roslin frey was good choice for robb. she was normal and not ugly what robb imagined.

Red Wedding was the part after which I started worship the series. Don't get me wrong: By the time I finished the chapter I had my mouth wide-open and couldn't believe what I've just read but that's exactly why I love GOT so much: You will NEVER know what will happen next. In any other series the characters who seem to be kinda protagonists look untouchable and rarly someone dies. In GOT it may happens that 3 main characters die at once which is exactly why I don't read child-books anymore: I want to be surprised. I started the book series bc I couldn't wait for season 3 on TV which I didn't like until in the end of the very first episode Bran fell from the tower which totally took me by surprise.

I love it! Keeps me reading!

Please R.R. Martin, don't kill Tyrion! :(

Archived