Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country

Topher

Tons of mentions about the Styria/Union war but none about Khalul VS Bayaz... Personally I can't wait to see that showdown, and I hope Ferro puts them both in the ground.

Personally I believe the reason Bayaz is testing out the cannons is to try and bring down the walls of the Gurkish. That's going to be the big conflict at the end. If Joe does another triology with some of the original POVs I think the Union will beat Styria somewhat easily and then have another war with the Gurks.

Oh, we also need to see the Bloody nine one more time.

I'd like to see Carlot. She hasn't much more places left to flee, has she?

That's who i was hoping to see but i'd forgotten her name. She seems to be a survivor and it may be fun if she's the "al swearangen" type.

• 2 weeks later...

If Red Country is inspired by Deadwood, then I hope he learns from that show about how to write a scene featuring two female characters. Deadwood isn't just about Al; it's hailed for its rich, realistic relationships, especially between women--Trixie and Mrs. Garret, Jonie and Jane. The scene where Trixie and Alama share a cigarette is one of the best scenes between two women I've ever seen on TV (the scene between Joan and Peggy at the end of Madmen Season 4 is the only one that comes close to that). Great Westerns have always paid the proper homage to frontier women, I hope Abercrombie can do the same :)

What I'm trying to say is: Abercrombie is pretty good at writing female characters. Now if only he would put two in a scene together and have them talk about something other than the men around them! Yeah, I know he doesn't even give his male characters friendships - so maybe a nice female friendship is too much to ask.

• 2 months later...

According to The Book Depository, a Joe Abercrombie short story collection will be published in 2014:

A collection of short stories from the world of The First Law

A collection of superb short stories, featuring some of his most loved characters, from #11 SUNDAY TIMES bestseller Joe Abercrombie. These stories are ideal for publication in one volume, as well as for inclusion in enhanced eBook editions of his novels.

http://www.bookdepos...e/9780575104679

There are also lots of upcoming novels scheduled for the author:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search/advanced?searchAuthor=Joe+Abercrombie&searchTerm=&searchSortBy=pubdate_high_low

Has he ever stated that he would write more about the main people in TFL? or just continue doing side stories? I don't mind standalones but i want to know what Ferro,Jezal,Glokta and maybe Logen and West(assuming they live, West was in bad shape and logen might be dead) are up too.

When I chatted with him two years ago at a london con he stated the plan was to do 3 stand-alones and then hopefully a second trilogy featuring everyone (or catching up with TFL cast at least). This seemed to be the case at some signings as well, although he said himself that these things are always liable to change. For instance I'd totally understand if he was enjoying the stand-alones (and his publishers were nejoying the sales) if he increased them from 3. His approach to the standalones seems to be mixing genres we've had crime/revenge, war and next up is a western. I imagine the stand-alones make it easier to do these mash-ups than launching into the next trilogy would, so i guess it's a case of how many other genres Joe wants to play with. I'd like to see him make a stab at horror and spy thrillers too.

Dates on forthcoming stuff after the next book are always going to be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

I'm contracted to do three more books in the same world after A Red Country, probably those will be a trilogy, they might well involve the central cast of The First Law more closely than the standalones have to now but they might also not. If it was a trilogy I'd want to spend some time planning and probably drafting most if not all of it before releasing the first book, make sure the whole thing's as cohesive as I can make it, so that might mean a fair gap between Red Country and what comes next, hopefully allowing for shorter gaps between volumes of a trilogy. All speculation at this stage, though.

There's also a contract to publish an anthology of short stories set in this world, some of which will have appeared in other multi-author anthologies, some of which will have been written for special editions or what have you. That'll just come out when there are enough stories, and that probably won't be for a while. 2014 seems very optimistic.

Dates on forthcoming stuff after the next book are always going to be pretty vague, I'm afraid.

I'm contracted to do three more books in the same world after A Red Country, probably those will be a trilogy, they might well involve the central cast of The First Law more closely than the standalones have to now but they might also not. If it was a trilogy I'd want to spend some time planning and probably drafting most if not all of it before releasing the first book, make sure the whole thing's as cohesive as I can make it, so that might mean a fair gap between Red Country and what comes next, hopefully allowing for shorter gaps between volumes of a trilogy. All speculation at this stage, though.

There's also a contract to publish an anthology of short stories set in this world, some of which will have appeared in other multi-author anthologies, some of which will have been written for special editions or what have you. That'll just come out when there are enough stories, and that probably won't be for a while. 2014 seems very optimistic.

Its pretty cool that we have authors posting on this site.

I just wanted to say that you, Mr. Abercrombie, are my favorite author. I would read the phonebook if it were written by you. No doubt it would be filled with vicious ads for throwing axes, but with a dab of dark humor to make you remember what number to dial for the order. Please keep on writing and, I am sure, we will keep on reading. Thanks!

I just finished reading the First Law Trilogy and I just have to say that Bayaz is one of the most evil motherfuckers I have ever encountered in my entire 25+ years of reading literature. Not getting into any specifics because I don't know how to do that spolier thing but he needs to die and I don't care who does it in the end preferably one someone on the Union side.

Thanks Joe for the clarifications of the plans for the upcoming novels. There was some confusion in that regard.

I have big hopes for A Red Country. And I'll welcome any bit of information we can get on Juvems, the Old Empire and its downfall. :)

So if we get a trilogy, we may have to wait a while. It makes sense that you'd need the extra time to make sure the trilogy works first though. I'm sure the wait would be much greater if you got halfway through book 2 and then realised it was all a mess and had to keep increasing the number of books or be lumbered with a plot development you wish you'd never put in book 1.

Hey man, this is the Westeros forum we've been put through the test of (ice and) fire when it comes to waiting. Write the stories you want to write, we'll be here when they're ready, eager to devour the story then fan gush all about it. I'm just very happy that you're continuing in TFL universe and think the short stories are a great idea!

Its pretty cool that we have authors posting on this site.

:agree:

Love TFL trilogy and the subsequent stand alones! Way to go on writng such great works and carving out a very cool and unique niche in a genre that writers who are worth their salt need to be careful not to trip over the cliches that are all over the place, but you even went so far as to flip those cliches on their heads very creatively and with fantastic storytelling. (And yes, I'm aware I tripped over a cliche or two myself in writing this post.) :P

ETA:

Since you may be reading this Mr. Abercrombie, I just wanted to mention my mother is convinced your name is a pseudonym for some reason. Maybe because it sounds like a name that if someone could choose as a nom de plume they would, and when she gets an idea in her head it sticks. I just find it humorous and hopefully you do too or at the very least not offensive in any way as of course none is intended.

Happy writing.

Hey man, this is the Westeros forum we've been put through the test of (ice and) fire when it comes to waiting. Write the stories you want to write, we'll be here when they're ready, eager to devour the story then fan gush all about it. I'm just very happy that you're continuing in TFL universe and think the short stories are a great idea!

:agree:

Since you may be reading this Mr. Abercrombie, I just wanted to mention my mother is convinced your name is a pseudonym for some reason. Maybe because it sounds like a name that if someone could choose as a nom de plume they would, and when she gets an idea in her head it sticks. I just find it humorous and hopefully you do too or at the very least not offensive in any way as of course none is intended.

With me it's more people going "Like the clothes store?" when I try to recommend/order books at a local bookstore.

You definitely need to put work into your Israeli fan base, because as far as I can tell it's made of three people and a dog.

Archived