So I just started reading ADWD....

Bugger that

and even though I already knew it was going to happen (someone failed to put a spoiler tag in the general thread, bloody hell!), Jon chopping the head of Janos Slynt, just wow, that was one fantastic scene! The whole thing leading up to it, Jon changing his mind the last minute about the hanging (with that slimy, smirking f**ker believing for a second that Jon had chickened out of executing him) and unsheathing his sword and doing it properly, Eddard Stark style, booyah! Loved it! Will definitely go down as one of my favourite and most memorable scenes from the books.

If you respond to this, please, NO SPOILERS from later in the book!

That scene was...awesome.

I had an extreme sense of satisfaction after Slynt's head rolled, and like you said, the way Jon went about it was perfect. Initially I was thinking 'No, you can't hang him, that's not the way Ned taught you' and then BOOM. Leave it to GRRM to completely expect my reaction, and I'm sure the reaction of many, and give us exactly what we wanted. It just felt right, didn't it?

and even though I already knew it was going to happen (someone failed to put a spoiler tag in the general thread, bloody hell!), Jon chopping the head of Janos Slynt, just wow, that was one fantastic scene! The whole thing leading up to it, Jon changing his mind the last minute about the hanging (with that slimy, smirking f**ker believing for a second that Jon had chickened out of executing him) and unsheathing his sword and doing it properly, Eddard Stark style, booyah! Loved it! Will definitely go down as one of my favourite and most memorable scenes from the books.

If you respond to this, please, NO SPOILERS from later in the book!

That scene made me about as giddy as when Joffrey was killed!

• 10 months later...

Janos Slynt is a shit talker that hide behinds his men. Martin does a great job of making me hate the mofo. Whenever I would read about his face turning beat red and his jowls quivering when he was confronted my hate for him increased more and more.

Slynt waited too long to take back his snarky ass remarks and dickish beahavior. He waits right up until the sword is swung. Haha. The sad thing is, there are people like is in the real world and GRRM does a good job portraying douchebags.

I felt the scene had a lot of echoes of when Robb executed Rickard Karstark, though with none of the agonizing uncertainy on Robb's part. Karstark was a murderer but he was a powerful ally and the loss of the Karstarks really hurt Robb. Slynt was just an enormous douche who had no business being alive.

Does anyone remember the line near the end of book 1 when Sansa fantasizes that "some hero" would chop of Slynt's head like he helped behead Ned? Well she finally got her wish :-D

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Made me think of the scene at the very beginning when Ned beheads a guy himself and tells his kids that a man should always kill instead of just giving the order, or something along those lines.

SUCH a great scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived