Casting the Greyjoy Brothers

Black Jack Bulwer

This needs to happen. NOW. I'm not familiar with him, but that one picture totally sold me. Robert Carlyle was my Damphair for a very long time, but that pictureis Damphair Besides, I love Robert Carlyle on Once Upon a Time and I want him to stay.

I've only seen him in Harry Potter, so not very familiar with him either, but he did audition for season 2 so there's a chance in the future.

I've only seen him in Harry Potter, so not very familiar with him either, but he did audition for season 2 so there's a chance in the future.

Oh, I just read that he was the Death Eater who stopped the train. I am going to rewatch that scene now.

On the Dornish casting thread, someone suggested Cliff Simonfor Oberyn, but I like him better as Euron. Of course Mads Mikkelsen would be a much better pick for Euron, but Cliff Simon would be amongst my top choices after Mads.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually really liked the priest they had last season at Theons baptising, wouldn't be that much of a stretch just to retcon him into being Damphair.

Indeed, while looking I thought "Look, that one is the Damphair, they made him quite good". To me he would be ok.

Ray Stevenson for Vicatrion and Henry Ian Cusick for Euron.

I totally agree with the Ray Stevenson bit, he's the perfect Victarion.

But HIC as Euron? Really? I just can't imagine him as a creepy looking, merciless pirate.

My perfect image of Euron would be Mads Mikkelsen, but he's very busy with Hannibal, so I don't think he's gonna be able to sign up for GoT as well.

So, what about James Purefoy?

I totally agree with the Ray Stevenson bit, he's the perfect Victarion.

But HIC as Euron? Really? I just can't imagine him as a creepy looking, merciless pirate.

My perfect image of Euron would be Mads Mikkelsen, but he's very busy with Hannibal, so I don't think he's gonna be able to sign up for GoT as well.

So, what about James Purefoy?

Purefoy's going to be in a show called The Following.

Euron- James Purefoy

Victarion- Ray Stevenson

I don't think anyone is as perfect for Euron as James Purefoy would be. He just plays the cunning/sleazy bad boy roles so well. As a back-up i'd say David Oakes (though I think he'd be much better cast as Daario). Ray would make sense as Victarion but theres already 2 Rome alumni joining the cast in season 3 and my pick for Euron is one too so i'm going to look elsewhere and say Dominic West like the OP did. He has a commanding presense like Victarion and he's large enough to pull off the physical requirment of the character.

• 7 months later...

Richard Armitage is currently filming as Thorin in The Hobbit:Desolation of Smaug due out in Dec. He'd probably be free for GoT 4 shooting schedule ,now that's it has been changed to Fall 2013.

He'd be a perfect fit for Euron Greyjoy. Armitage enjoys playing the bad guys and does it with fiery gusto.

http://allthingsrarmitage.blogspot.com/search?q=euron+greyjoy

I'd give Jaime Lannister's other hand and one of Dany's dragons for Mads Mikkelsen to be cast as Euron. He would be beyond perfect, plus everyone knows Hannibal is going to be cancelled anyway, just in time for Mads to get a new job.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN NINA GOLD!!!

ETA: renewed! damn you nbc

Armitage is just too handsome. He looks too soft, like in a rich guy kinda way. I wouldn't buy him as a guy like Euron. Of course Euron isn't ugly, but he should at least look a little more... what's the word I'm looking for? rough?

I think casting Armitage as Euron would be like how Once Upon a Time cast that pretty boy to play Captain Hook. He looks like a little girl, especially when Robert Carlyle acts circles around him.

Armitage is just too handsome. He looks too soft, like in a rich guy kinda way. I wouldn't buy him as a guy like Euron. Of course Euron isn't ugly, but he should at least look a little more... what's the word I'm looking for? rough?

I think casting Armitage as Euron would be like how Once Upon a Time cast that pretty boy to play Captain Hook. He looks like a little girl, especially when Robert Carlyle acts circles around him.

Here's Euron Greyjoy's physical attributes: "Euron is tall, pale handsome with brilliant blue eye, black hair and a dark beard." See Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield - he perfectly fits that description. Besides painting the exact picture Geo Martin describes, the actor has already portrayed dominating and ruthless characters with unflinching credibility.

Go to 20:00 of this recent Armitage interview, and you'll hear him describe himself as "looking" evil. Apparently that's why he can play dark characters with such conviction:

http://youtu.be/CVvR4S7Jys4

Archived