Hugos: For Your Consideration - UPDATED for 2013 starting at post 144

LugaJetboyGirl

JBG,

I thought nominations closed on 1/31.

No, the nomination period ends on March 11th. January 31st was the last day to make yourself eligible to nominate.

I thought someone mentioned that you can change your nominations up until March 11, so that if you want to add something to the ballot that you already filled out, you can. I have not, however, found any references to that on the Hugo/Chicon site.

No, the nomination period ends on March 11th. January 31st was the last day to make yourself eligible to nominate.

I thought someone mentioned that you can change your nominations up until March 11, so that if you want to add something to the ballot that you already filled out, you can. I have not, however, found any references to that on the Hugo/Chicon site.

I mentioned it, it was the case with the Aussiecon vote, so I assumed it would be the same here.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what my official votes for the Hugo Awards will be this next month. Not likely it matters to anyone and why the hell should it, I accept this and still post, not sure why.

Best Novels

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. by some guy I can't remember his name.

THE HEROES. Joe Abercrombie

11/22/63. Stephen King

EMBASSYTOWN. China Mieville

WiseMans Fear. Patrick Rothfuss

Best Artist.

Jon Foster.

Someone asked me what he did this last year, from what I can recall he did the Subterranean Press edition of ShipBreaker by bacigalupi and Ganymede and Clementine for Cherie Priest all great works and his style is so distinctive. Art is probably the most subjective medium so who knows. For instance I think Picacio's renderings of most of Westeros are ridiculous, his color palette and faces are all incongruous with the mood and setting(but really liked his cover for Drood) and the general populous on the GRRM board seem to love them.

Best Films

GAME OF THRONES SEASON 1 without question

WALKING DEAD SEASON 1 with some internal doubt, if it wasn't such a dry year for the big screen I wouldn't nominate it

RANGO. fun stuff

HUGO.

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. Human characters were terrible so I'm still on the fence.

BEST SHORT FILMS

GAME OF THRONES. going to rewatch on dvd next week to make my favorite five. Not going to vote for The Pointy End just because GRRM wrote it though, it might go in on merit alone but most people seem to just vote for the name which is moronic.

OK, perhaps nobody cares, but those are my fiction nominations:

For Best Novel:

The White-Luck Warrior R. Scott Bakker

The Clockwork Rocket Greg Egan

A Dance with Dragons George R. R. Martin

The Quantum Thief Hannu Rajaniemi

Among Others Jo Walton

For Best Novella:

The Alchemist Paolo Bacigalupi

The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary Ken Liu

Blue and Gold K. J. Parker

The Ants of Flanders Robert Reed

Silently and Very Fast Catherynne M. Valente

For Best Novelette:

A Long Way Home Jay Lake

Ghostweight Yoon Ha Lee

Altogether Elsewhere, Vast Herds of Reindeer Ken Liu

A Small Price to Pay for Birdsong K. J. Parker

A Response from EST17 Tom Purdom

For Best Short Story:

Shipbirth Aliette de Bodard

Conservation of Shadows Yoon Ha Lee

The Server and the Dragon Hannu Rajaniemi

The Bread We Eat in Dreams Catherynne M. Valente

The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees E. Lily Yu

Thanks to those of you who have posted your votes. And thanks to JBG for updating the thread on the first page. Being reminded of all the possible nominations is helpful.

I have finished an epic Fringe marathon viewing and I'm going to add these three tv episodes to my nominations:

Fringe, "The Firefly", Season 3, Episode 10

Fringe, "6B", Season 3, Episode 14

Fringe, "The Day We Died", Season 3, Episode 22

Thanks for the updates, guys. Just a few things:

Tannersack, as far as I am aware, Game of Thrones is the only tv show eligible for Best Dramatic Presentation - Long Form. If you want a show nominated for Short Form, you need to give an episode title.

The Campbell Award:

1) Does anyone know if Ben Aaronovitch is actually eligible since he has some previous novelisations of Dr Who episodes?

2) Is Hannu Rajaniemi eligible again, since he came in third last year?

For good measure, I am nominating:

Being Human (US), 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Me Killing You' (season 1 finale)

EDIT:

Don't forget, the nominations are due Sunday, March 11, 2012, 23:59.

Hi, JetBoyGirl --

Good question on the Campbell Award. Rajaniemi's name didn't ring a bell as a Campbell nominee last year. I'm not sure who came in third, but the 2011 nominees were Lauren Beukes, Saladin Ahmed, Dan Wells, Larry Correia, and Lev Grossman (winner). Still, your mention made me wonder if he's eligible -- and I'll be honest, even after Googling, I'm still not sure. Debut novel in 2010, which would suggest that he's in his 2nd year of eligibility for the award, and thus eligible. BUT he has a slew of presumably professional story sales since 2003, and I would think at least some of that would've made him eligible before 2010, and thus ineligible now. However, the Campbell rules are slippery, as noted in the following link (which includes a current list of 1st and 2nd year eligibilities......Ben Aaronovitch isn't on this list either.......but I wouldn't necessarily assume this to be complete....). FWIW -- http://www.writertopia.com/awards/campbell

Hi, JetBoyGirl --

Good question on the Campbell Award. Rajaniemi's name didn't ring a bell as a Campbell nominee last year. I'm not sure who came in third, but the 2011 nominees were Lauren Beukes, Saladin Ahmed, Dan Wells, Larry Correia, and Lev Grossman (winner). Still, your mention made me wonder if he's eligible -- and I'll be honest, even after Googling, I'm still not sure. Debut novel in 2010, which would suggest that he's in his 2nd year of eligibility for the award, and thus eligible. BUT he has a slew of presumably professional story sales since 2003, and I would think at least some of that would've made him eligible before 2010, and thus ineligible now. However, the Campbell rules are slippery, as noted in the following link (which includes a current list of 1st and 2nd year eligibilities......Ben Aaronovitch isn't on this list either.......but I wouldn't necessarily assume this to be complete....). FWIW -- http://www.writertop...awards/campbell

Thanks. I thought Rajaniemi was nominated last year because of this website, but it turns out this isn't the actual list of finalists. And thanks for the links you provided, since the FAQs page it had was pretty useful. I will adjust the list accordingly.

Thanks. I thought Rajaniemi was nominated last year because of this website, but it turns out this isn't the actual list of finalists. And thanks for the links you provided, since the FAQs page it had was pretty useful. I will adjust the list accordingly.

I believe Rajaniemi was writing some short fiction for several years and is therefore not eligible. BTW my Campbell list was:

Ty Franck, Mark Lawrence, Dexter Palmer, Mazarkis Williams, E. Lily Yu .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived