Stuck on what to read while waiting for Winds

Ser-Arthur-Dayne

Ser-Arthur-Dayne, just so it's clear and in case you didn't know, when he mentions Stannek's Ruin Mist series with no context whatsoever Tormund is fucking with you. Stannek is a self-published author, manic about self-publicity and obsessively hostile to those who say nasty things about his work to the point at which it's kind of creepy. The books are reportedly terrible, and Stannek is a major target for ridicule here on the literature board -- search for the thread "Robert Stannek shat directly into my soul" for some of the best stuff.

I'm currently reading Dan Simmons The Terror and Alan Moore's From Hell

Oh my, The Terror....the theme of which "nothing is so bad that it can't get far far worse and never ever gets better." It's the only book I've ever owned that I deliberately left somewhere (a campground laundry room in this case) but I didn't want it anywhere near me anymore. Otherwise I keep all of my books, regardless of how much I disliked them.

How about "The Kingkiller Chronicles" by Patrick Rothfuss?

Ser-Arthur-Dayne, just so it's clear and in case you didn't know, when he mentions Stannek's Ruin Mist series with no context whatsoever Tormund is fucking with you. Stannek is a self-published author, manic about self-publicity and obsessively hostile to those who say nasty things about his work to the point at which it's kind of creepy. The books are reportedly terrible, and Stannek is a major target for ridicule here on the literature board -- search for the thread "Robert Stannek shat directly into my soul" for some of the best stuff.

This is a tissue of lies. Clearly Stanek's works are exactly what that OP was asking for. They rank among the greats of fantasy literature, comparable to Robert Newcomb, John Ringo, or Terry Goodkind!

All this other stuff he listed is simply a list of the most popular and best selling fantasy works in history. How can the people at the board be asked to choose between them, particularly having done so literally hundreds of times? The only answer is Stanek.

As to the books you mention ... dude! Try them all! If you're reading them whilst you wait for GRRM to go through the writing process on The Winds of Winter you'll have time. Lots and lots of time.

I have read a few:

Robin Hobb: Definitely worth a try. Went through a period where Hobb was my favourite writer, probably without exception. That didn't last very long, but her work has many good points. It's epic fantasy set in an imagined world, but focuses on the inner lives of the characters. If it's the fast-paced plots and counter-plots of the first three books that draw you to Martin most you might want to skip these, but if it's the characters then yes definitely try them. Hobb can also write very moving sequences sometimes. As others have mentioned, the main character of Farseer / Tawny Man does have, shall we say, an over-active angsting capacity, and this may be connected to an overall tendency in Hobb's work toward excess: Less is never more with Hobb; she's always gotta lay things out, and this can slow events to a snail's pace. But the unfolding relationships between the characters and the exploration of how they and the world around them relate to magic is well-worth this sometimes slow pace. [i haven't read Soldier's Son, or anything since.]

Raymond Feist: I'm a big nostalgic fan of the first series -- Magician Apprentice, Magician Master, Silverthorn, A Darkness At Sethanon -- and if you're after light, fun fantasy with echoes of 80s D&D to them these are some of the cream of the crop. This is pretty definitely the kind of stuff Martin's books are often characterized as moving beyond, but they've got their own merits and are fun. Good relaxing reads. Since that first series -- and by all reports the Empire Trilogy, though I haven't read it -- the quality of Feist's novels has dropped significantly. The subseries called Serpentwar is still decent fun, but everything since is imo pretty shite. The writing, the plotting, the characters that feel like pale shadows of earlier characters and character types from the original Riftwar books, it's just all very messy and lacking in heart. Everyone's got their own tastes; everything's subjective; but I really can't imagine there are many people who'd argue with a straight face that Feist still has the power; the drop in quality has been quite significant. Feist's portrayal of female characters has also grown quite extraordinarily misogynist, starting in about the mid-90s and growing steadily worse.

Steven Erikson: I read the first one, and tried to get into each of the next three, and it's not my thing, but you should totally try it. If you like grand, sweeping scale, well, Erikson's got that shit covered. Worldshaking magic, enormously powerful characters bestriding the land, clashes between many different cultures and civilizations; all this is where Malazan lives, on the epic stage. Also, Erikson can write a mean passage -- I find his prose style has some problems, occasional repetitious tendencies being one of them, but he can bring the awesome with words sometimes. I found it difficult to get attached to the fictional people and had a hard time caring about what was going on on a visceral level. Some of the big awe-inspiring sequences can also feel somewhat over-the-top, if you're not invested. [This is fantasy, obviously, and it should be able to go over the top if it wants, but buying such sequences requires that you be invested in the first place.]

Tad Williams [specifically Memory Sorrow and Thorn; he's also got some quite different stuff]: I haven't read these in years, but loved them very much. That more traditional boy-saves-world type of fantasy? This is some of the very best of that. On a graver, heftier scale than Feist but still often very fun. I still have favourite characters from these. And as DrownedCrow mentioned Memory Sorrow and Thorn was one of the series which prompted GRRM to think he could maybe take fantasy seriously. [Note: The first third of the first book is slow. Like, quite slow.]

The Wheel of Time: I love The Wheel of Time, and it's a very important work to modern fantasy. That being said, I'm not sure I'd have been able to get into it as completely if I'd already been a Martin fan when I was introduced to Jordan. You should try it for sure, but you're as likely to be put off by the farmboy lead characters and the cleaner, less morally ambiguous tone as you are to be sucked in by the intricate world and backstory and really quite entertaining characters who do have more layers if you're patient. I'd say try it for sure, but from a library if possible. Don't spend money unless you're sure; it could backfire badly.

If you'll excuse someone stepping outside the original list, for me Durham's Acacia books best fit the "like ASOIAF" mold as far as the balancing of an epic backdrop with carefully measured character building.

From the original list I'd go with Robin Hobb. I like Donaldson, Erikson, and the one Williams I read thus far (War of the Flowers), but I wouldn't say any of those gave me an Ice and Fire vibe.

Second the Hobb recs here. I actually loved the three trilogies (not counting soldier son since I haven't read that), though enjoyed the Liveship books the most.

Another rec: World War Z. It's balls out awesome.

AND Connie Willis, The Doomsday Book. If you like Martin's gritty medieval-ish time period, Willis makes him look like puppies and rainbows. It's a fab novel.

I dont understand how people ask these kinds of questions without mentioning dragonlance. Go to any bookstore, they practically have their own freaking section. Boggles my mind.

If you don't pick up Dragons of Autumn Twilight, and then immediately snatch up the rest of the series, then I dont know how I could help you, other then suggesting you try Ed Greenwood. If you dont like that you dont have a soul.

It cracks me up sometimes how people make the jump from "I like ASOIAF" to recommending Bakker. Have some of you people actually READ any Bakker? His works and ASOIAF are nothing alike, even remotely. Now, I'm currently reading The White Luck Warrior and loving it, but it really boggles my mind how anyone can relate the two. Just because two things are shelved in the same part of the bookstore doesn't make them alike.

Ok, mini rant over.

Read Glen Cook.

Yeah, I'm amused when folks make jumps from A to B and they make no sense really. That goes for Bakker, who I also enjoy, and for people comparing Tad Williams MST to ASOIAF as well. On a side note, as much as I love Glen Cook, not really a good comparison there either.

Anyway, of the 6 series the OP listed I'd kinda lump Tad Williams and the Thomas Convenant books into the same type of books. The both have rather whiny angst ridden protagonists who bitch and moan a lot as they travel through the series. These are both well written series, but none of the main characters are all that interesting or likable, and both series are extremely lacking in in depth plotting that I would put at the core of ASOIAF, and they are also lacking in action really. On the whole I found both series fairly tedious, both were just interesting enough to make me not stop reading, but nothing special. If you are wanting to read something by Donaldson I'd suggest his Science Fiction Gap series, as it is very good.

Hobb's Soldier Son series is bloody awful, but her first two series (Farseer and the liveship books) are very good. Both are well worth a read. The second Farseer series is decent, but not up to the same quality as the previous trilogy. I haven't read her most recent rain wilds books yet, as her first two Soldier's son books were so bad it just put me off her period for the time being. Her books are very character oriented pieces.

Feist's Riftwar is kinda like a popcorn novel compared to the rest of your list. I enjoyed the series for what it was back when I read it, but it's like watching a good Arnold action movie back in the early 80s, entertaining but not high on plot and brains. It does have some very entertaining characters, but I'd probably put it well behind Erikson, Jordan, and Hobb for reading.

Erikson as mentioned tends to split people, he tends to be a love him or hate him author. I personally find him to be excellent. Very high magic world, with some of the best world building period of any series. Personally if you give him a try at least read the second and third books, if you don't like the second or third book you won't like him period pretty much. His first book is kinda disjointed and not as well written as the rest, though I still enjoyed it a great deal.

Jordan is a bit behind Erikson for me, and as mentioned his middle books sucked. 1-7 are solid, 8-10 blow, and 11-13 have picked up again. Since Sanderson will be finishing the series next year I'd say give this series a try. Much like Erikson Jordan's first book is different in tone and not as good as the next couple.

Anyway, I;d suggest Erikson, Jordan, and Hobb as what to read, by the time WoW comes out you'll likely be able to read all three even if you read at a slow pace.

This is a tissue of lies. Clearly Stanek's works are exactly what that OP was asking for. They rank among the greats of fantasy literature, comparable to Robert Newcomb, John Ringo, or Terry Goodkind!

All this other stuff he listed is simply a list of the most popular and best selling fantasy works in history. How can the people at the board be asked to choose between them, particularly having done so literally hundreds of times? The only answer is Stanek.

Hey now, John Ringo may be a creepy fucked up GOP nutbag, but at least he's a nice guy in real life!

Yeah, I'm amused when folks make jumps from A to B and they make no sense really. That goes for Bakker, who I also enjoy, and for people comparing Tad Williams MST to ASOIAF as well. On a side note, as much as I love Glen Cook, not really a good comparison there either.

Well, I think the reason MST comes up is because MArtini mentions it as an influence, although I agree they aren't very similar. And I just always bring up Glen Cook. Because he rocks.

Skip all that and read the Ruin Mist series by Robert Stanek. It is seriously the best fantasy being written today.

Haha, I actually knew about Stanek before. Some of the reviews I found way back were hilarious. I mean, he was listed as number 1 (Newcomb as second) on the Top 10 Worst Fantasy Books

By the way, I didn't mean that I want one series to read while waiting for Winds, I meant what I should get started with. Of course, the unfortunate (or maybe not) truth is that I'm probably gonna have time to read all of them and more (so I have no problem with people rec other works) :)

By the way, right now I think I'm gonna get started on Hobb and Erickson, but definitely gonna read all of the list and more

Skip all that and read the Ruin Mist series by Robert Stanek. It is seriously the best fantasy being written today.

I dunno, I think Runelords by Farland is slightly better.

:lol:

Don't even get me started on Wheel of Time. Blurgh. By Book 3 I felt like I was reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. You know.. those kind of authors where every single book is exactly the same and has the exact-same formula? No thanks, lol.

Wanted to comment on this. Book 3 (The Dragon Reborn) is the last of the archetypal "quest" novels in WoT - which by the way was intentional on the part of the author. Also, Sword of Truth is widely regarded to have ripped off WoT. Won't comment on your opinion of the series past that...

well, I haven't read all of those books you mentioned, but I enjoyed The Riftwar Saga.

Actually, I think you should read the 3 books. The Magician.Silverthorn, Darkness in Sethanon by Feist.

Other than that, I think you should try out the Inheritance Cycle by C. Paolini. (the 4th and final book will be out on 11/08)

I know, none of these are like ASOIF but I don't think that we really like to read exact the same thing in different versions!

Are you serious?

I have read most of Erikson's series. The only reason I haven't finished them is a lack of money and other access to the books. I plan to resolve that soon enough. I love the series, one of my favorites.

I read Feist years ago, back when I was first starting to get into fantasy. If you are intent on reading the series, then you should keep these things in mind: 1) Stop at the end of The SerpentWar Saga, the books turn to shit after that. 2) Avoid the The Riftwar Legacy books (Krondor: Enter Title Here volumes 1-3) at all costs.

Other than that, I think you should try out the Inheritance Cycle by C. Paolini. (the 4th and final book will be out on 11/08)

:stunned:

Not attempting to offend anyone, but I was was kindof looking for something a little mature. Honestly, I have tried Paolini. Here is how the story goes. One day I recommended ASOIAF to this friend of mine. She agreed to try it if only I tried Eragon. So I agreed (thinking it can’t be THAT bad). But it was. For me Paolini was a shut off. On the other hand, guess what she thought of Martin?? Got it? Good…

I dont understand how people ask these kinds of questions without mentioning dragonlance. Go to any bookstore, they practically have their own freaking section. Boggles my mind.

If you don't pick up Dragons of Autumn Twilight, and then immediately snatch up the rest of the series, then I dont know how I could help you, other then suggesting you try Ed Greenwood. If you dont like that you dont have a soul.

Maybe because I HAVE read Dragonlance. When I was about 13, I read the whole series. It was good back then, in fact my introductory to fantasy. But now I'm 17. Looking back, I really can't see myself get into it as much. After reading Tolkien, Martin, etc.. Dragonlance is defenatly incomparable. It might haved seemed good when I haven't read anything better, but after reading other things, well....

The other recs have been great, thanks guys! Even Stanek and Newcomb :laugh:

Maybe because I HAVE read Dragonlance. When I was about 13, I read the whole series. It was good back then, in fact my introductory to fantasy. But now I'm 17. Looking back, I really can't see myself get into it as much. After reading Tolkien, Martin, etc.. Dragonlance is defenatly incomparable. It might haved seemed good when I haven't read anything better, but after reading other things, well....

I hate to point this out to you, but Feist isn't much better than Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms. Same shit, different setting.

:stunned:

Not attempting to offend anyone, but I was was kindof looking for something a little mature. Honestly, I have tried Paolini. Here is how the story goes. One day I recommended ASOIAF to this friend of mine. She agreed to try it if only I tried Eragon. So I agreed (thinking it can’t be THAT bad). But it was. For me Paolini was a shut off. On the other hand, guess what she thought of Martin?? Got it? Good…

I can't imagine how you find a teenagers star wars+dragons fan fiction immature. :rolleyes: [long rant about how shitty Eragon is]

I hate to point this out to you, but Feist isn't much better than Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms. Same shit, different setting.

Really? Thanks bro, I thought it was considerably better. Saved me time. Maybe I'll look in to it later, but now I need to get some of the good fantasy core down.

Archived