Game of Thrones and True Blood Compared

Westeros

HBO is really slowly turning into Showtime - a station that has terrific shows and then after few seasons they become worse and worse until they are unwatchable.
It used to be quality till the end - Sopranos, Six Feed Under, Deadwood. True Blood was really good in season 1, kinda cool in season 2 and then ever season 3 it became something people watch to laugh at it. I'd say HBO has truly great shows and guilty pleasure shows and after this season GoT goes to the latter category for me.

Still I doubt they'll ever reach the awfulness of vampires getting high and wandering the streets in one of the recent seasons or that whole faeries subplot.

It's more like unpure garbage, but that's why I watch. :lol:

They do a nice job showcasing the lines of the male cast, let's just say.

Oh yes. The show may be stupid but at least they aren't mysoginistic. And they showed us ASkars full frontal. That's a point in their favor :)

ASkars... :drool: Of course, they showed him burning up in that scene, but then nearly all of womankind voiced outrage to the point the showrunner had to say something. "They love him!," he said. Finally we got their attention.

I agree with the starts off well and gradually declines theory, for both shows. The more Game of Thrones strays from the books, the worse it gets, for me. True Blood, the books were never good, but the show was never this bad. If they'd laugh at themselves more, we could laugh with them.

ASkars... :drool: Of course, they showed him burning up in that scene, but then nearly all of womankind voiced outrage to the point the showrunner had to say something. "They love him!," he said. Finally we got their attention.

I agree with the starts off well and gradually declines theory, for both shows. The more Game of Thrones strays from the books, the worse it gets, for me. True Blood, the books were never good, but the show was never this bad. If they'd laugh at themselves more, we could laugh with them.

My fav book was 4th one - the one with Wiccans - and I just couldn't believe my eyes what they did with it in the series. They just made everything so stupid and cheesy and it was boring. In season 2 the whole Maenad craziness was at least entertaining. I'm not watching the new season but I'm sure I'll see it one day though after I saw entire season - the one with this weird headquarters and blood goddess - in one day once I thought my brain turned into sponge.

again no contest here i already admit i have watched tb from the start and still do.
but its not a better show and thats not an opinion. if someone tells me they like it better then got then ok thats there opinion.

but better show means better acting better scrips & writers tb simply lack these.

and ive talked about there fiction before as well i mean i no its sci fiction but come on.
you can usally say oh this is why something works this way or thats way it works that way.
or its out rite told to you in story.
not with tb almost every epi i find it impossible to make sense of some part of there very own fiction.

ive given other examples in this tread but off the top of my head ill throw 1 more quick 1 out there.

sams a shifter and can turn into about any animal he wants. were as the werewolfs can turn only to wolfs and there version of werewolfs to me are really under powered.
i still like the werewolfs from the orginal howling but im old school anyway ot.

my point theres 1 animal even lions wont attack in africa thats rite elehants.
so why do the shifters always seem imtiadated by the wolfs?
shit just turn into an elehant or grizzly or tiger and boom no more wolf.

like i said i watch it manly its a guilty pleasure and my wife likes it but man so much about it bothers me.

HBO is really slowly turning into Showtime - a station that has terrific shows and then after few seasons they become worse and worse until they are unwatchable.

It used to be quality till the end - Sopranos, Six Feed Under, Deadwood. True Blood was really good in season 1, kinda cool in season 2 and then ever season 3 it became something people watch to laugh at it. I'd say HBO has truly great shows and guilty pleasure shows and after this season GoT goes to the latter category for me.

You don't have to feel guilty about liking GoT. Almost everyone out there would commend your taste if you said you liked it.

I have watched all 6 seasons of True Blood and I am still keeping up with the second.

I don't compare it to GoT because I'm a die hard GoT fan and True Blood doesn't compare. My appeal for True Blood is because the show doesn't seem to take itself seriously; it's more of a comedy than a drama. I love the cold opens for every episode; they make me laugh every time. GoT needs more cold opens like the one in S04E01. That was beautiful.

If I was to compare GoT to another show however, I'd choose The Walking Dead. TWD is filled with compelling gray characters.

True Blood was great for the first few seasons. It's definitely a trivial, comedic telling of the story but I've never read the books. I just love how ridiculous Jason is, he's hilarious! Also Pam has some of the best one-liners!

Alan Ball is a great film/TV writer, as evidenced by American Beauty and Six Feet Under. I just think he mostly saw the comic potential in True Blood and kinda got lost story-wise somewhere down the season 3 plot lines.

True Blood was great for the first few seasons. It's definitely a trivial, comedic telling of the story but I've never read the books. I just love how ridiculous Jason is, he's hilarious! Also Pam has some of the best one-liners!

Alan Ball is a great film/TV writer, as evidenced by American Beauty and Six Feet Under. I just think he mostly saw the comic potential in True Blood and kinda got lost story-wise somewhere down the season 3 plot lines.

:agree:

I'm afraid i am thinking GOT is going the way of TB. I was bitterly disappointed with season 4, felt I was being disloyal at first but now its been a few weeks since seasons end I feel I can say it. The writing for much of season 4 was appalling. the invented scenes and story lines added nothing, and they are changing things for absolutely no reason, little things which cost nothing to keep the same but yet deteriorate the world GRRM built by their exclusion. I am seriously doubting if I'll watch season 5. :(

TB has gotten ridiculous! but as I never read the books for that, nor TWD actually. I enjoy them for what they are, TB is a comedy to me and yes its not as good as it once was. TWD has waxed and waned for me. Sometimes I love it and feel excited for where they are taking it, other times it feels predictable, and at times it gets dull.

I'm enjoying this season of TB more than I thought I would mainly as I had completely abandoned all expectations after the last several poor seasons and was watching mainly just so I could say I saw it through to the end.

I'm afraid i am thinking GOT is going the way of TB. I was bitterly disappointed with season 4, felt I was being disloyal at first but now its been a few weeks since seasons end I feel I can say it. The writing for much of season 4 was appalling. the invented scenes and story lines added nothing, and they are changing things for absolutely no reason, little things which cost nothing to keep the same but yet deteriorate the world GRRM built by their exclusion. I am seriously doubting if I'll watch season 5. :(

Oh, yes, same here. There's nothing I'm looking forward to, which is so odd, since there are so many good stories in the books. I would have paid five times the price to see them, and the thing is, the non-readers would love to see them, too. What they replace the book stories with isn't as good! Also, like you say, this has nothing to do with time or cost.

:bowdown:

Oh, yes, same here. There's nothing I'm looking forward to, which is so odd, since there are so many good stories in the books. I would have paid five times the price to see them, and the thing is, the non-readers would love to see them, too. What they replace the book stories with isn't as good! Also, like you say, this has nothing to do with time or cost.

Well I'm glad its not just me who is feeling this way. I've been spending some time on a FB ASOIAF page recently, and the outrage if you display any dissatisfaction with the show.

I honestly am not sure I will watch season 5 :(

Archived