Just started GOT

lady-avalon

you should have spent a lot more time reading the books Rody, cause now you´ll have to wait some years to know what will happen next.

im halfthrough the 3rd one and not in a hurry at all. i think i´ll start the fourth one once the 2nd season of the shows is finished.

you should have spent a lot more time reading the books Rody, cause now you´ll have to wait some years to know what will happen next.

im halfthrough the 3rd one and not in a hurry at all. i think i´ll start the fourth one once the 2nd season of the shows is finished.

your curiosity will get the better of you, I predict.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Actually I was horrified to find that the story hasn't ended yet and I will have to wait years before I know the end. I always thought it's a trilogy and when I found three books safe and sound on amazon, I felt pretty safe to dive into watching the series. Only to find there will be 7 (or God knows how many)! EEK! But on the other hand, I love that GRRM isn't just "skipping forward" and making some characters age. Would have been such a shame to miss the parts in between. That's also why I'm not worried at all by the bad recensions of ADWD. Who takes a 7th slice out of a story and judges it on its own? I will read it to the end, no matter how long it takes and no matter how much action there is evenly spread across the books.

I have started watching the series and then curiosity threatened to kill me, so I moved onwards to reading ACoK, now half into ASoS. I will probably fill the gap between book 6 and 7 by re-reading all of them, this time starting with the first book. I feel like I am a cheater, but I have so little spare time that I was afraid I'd never finish them.

Anyway, welcome and yes, definitely bookmark your own thread and avoid the other forums. I just got majorly spoiled just browsing thread titles... :frown5:

Greetings,

Steph

I just started reading recently too. I'm not too far in yet (I believe I last left off with Jon going to the wall and Ned and Robert going back to King's Landing) but it has been awesome so far. I've seen the first season on HBO and unfortunately I already know a good deal of spoilers because of the internet but I'm really trying to avoid any further ones.

I'm going to go read another chunk now actually, I'll periodically check in here as well.

I'm on page 362 now....right after Ned throws away his status as the King's Hand. This book is almost impossible to put down. As good as the show is, the book is better.

One thing though....has anyone noticed that GRRM has a ton of bald headed characters? They are everywhere. At one point during the book someone explains to another that he was referring to the bald headed man and then they go oh ok. I was lauging to myself because it seems as though they are everywhere and would be hard to distinguish =P

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go into any threads but your own, until you're at least through the whole of this book, and then confine yourself to the still reading threads relating to books you're already finished.

Enjoy the ride, and definitely don't watch the TV series until you've read the books. That goes equally for season 2 / Clash of Kings.

You've got a bit of reading to do before April rolls around.

Thanks for the advice, I haven't. I'm about halfway done, should be done by the weekend. I've also bought A Clash of Kings so I'm not waiting around too long. I'm really looking forward to the next books. I can't wait to see what some of these characters do.

I agree with above posts about staying in still reading threads. it is way too easy to spoil stuff, and the stuff that isn't spoiled will be spoiled anyway by the fact that nobody mentions it. I.E. all your theories are wrong.

Me, I was reluctant to read these books because whenever anyone mentioned the series to me they would say, "Everyone dies!!" I was like...why would I want to read a book where everyone dies...? So I was not into it, and even after I got Game of Thrones I was very skeptical until I got to a certain accident on page 100. That hooked me and I really wanted to know what happens next, and read 100 pages the next day! Now these are my favorite books and love making new friends with people who read them.

And just so you know, not everyone dies.

The show is great, but if you want to be on these forums you gotta read all the books. The show doesn't grasp the amount of crazy conspiracies that the books allow. Be careful exploring these forums because most of us are five books in and can easily spoil things for you.

Enjoy the book. I am in the middle of my first re-read and I am probably just a few chapters ahead of you. I will say now--look at this book as a unique fantasy. We have no unstoppable heroes or clear-cut evil villains. George R. R. Martin loves a grey-area in his characters. You will be surprised about basically everything so be ready for a wild ride.

The funny thing for me and part I enjoy is the things I don't see coming. Because the show first got me into ASOIAF I no some of what's coming, but I love the little details that GRRM puts in that the show didn't have, or the backstories, etc. I am so excited for the other books though.

The funny thing for me and part I enjoy is the things I don't see coming. Because the show first got me into ASOIAF I no some of what's coming, but I love the little details that GRRM puts in that the show didn't have, or the backstories, etc. I am so excited for the other books though.

Same. It's all the little side stories and conspiracies that make the books so addictive.

It's such an easy read, I could have easily read it all by now if I powered through. Taking my time though. I usually read 3-4 chapters ever few days; been reading since November and still only on AFFC. Was planning on taking a break after ASoS but who was I kidding? I probably won't read anything else until I finish ADWD.

Don't want it to end but as people have said, a lot more people have had to wait a lot longer for new books so I'm in no position to complain! :P

Archived