The Three Betrayals?

Candor

1. For Gold

2. For Love

3. For Blood

Excuse any naivety about this, but I'm just trying to get my head straight. Most of the POV characters are in Westeros, so I always feel mildly confused in Daenerys' because I spend less time reading about her part of the world.

For blood I believe is in GoT when Mirri Maz Durr did her little witchery bit.

But I'm wondering... for gold + for love = Which one would Ser Jorah fall into for being an informant towards the beginning of the saga? [bTW - anyone else feel this was made a lot more clear in the tv show than the book? Or is it just me?]

Anything someone could explain about the three treasons, who does them, or the significance would be appreciated. My brain is much too tired from work, so I decided to just give up and ask for help :blush:

1. For Gold

2. For Love

3. For Blood

Excuse any naivety about this, but I'm just trying to get my head straight. Most of the POV characters are in Westeros, so I always feel mildly confused in Daenerys' because I spend less time reading about her part of the world.

For blood I believe is in GoT when Mirri Maz Durr did her little witchery bit.

But I'm wondering... for gold + for love = Which one would Ser Jorah fall into for being an informant towards the beginning of the saga? [bTW - anyone else feel this was made a lot more clear in the tv show than the book? Or is it just me?]

Anything someone could explain about the three treasons, who does them, or the significance would be appreciated. My brain is much too tired from work, so I decided to just give up and ask for help blush.gif

This is one mystery that I don't think will be made clear until the last book comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be wrong, but wasn't this prediction made long after Ser Jorah stopped spying on Dany in Clash of Kings? It's been a while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure it was referring to the future, as in "You will be betrayed three times".

You are right Alan, which is what leads me to believe that the betrayal has nothing to do with Ser Jorah, also because Dany doesn't love Jorah back she thinks of him (in my opinion) as almost like a pet. Plus, Jorah's "love" is more like an infatuation that is heavily backed by his previous relationship. So... no, I don't think that one has anything to do with Jorah.

As for gold, he wasn't taking any gold to betray her by after the predictions. Not unless he decides to do something about this later... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And let me just say how annoying it is to see a significant part of the book happen in another part of the world and yet only see a map of Westeros.

:huh:

And let me just say how annoying it is to see a significant part of the book happen in another part of the world and yet only see a map of Westeros.

:huh:

Exactly. Trying to envision the "where" things are happening give me a reaction near to this... :leaving: then :bang:

I gave up trying to picture it after a while, I think...

Jorah was still taking gold for info on Dany when they got to Mereene. That is why she felt so betrayed. After she lost Drogo and her son and they made it through the "red waste lands" that brought them to the slaver cities she felt like they had been to hell and back together, all those who traveled with her are her people now and he was still selling her out. That's why she banished him after he and Ser Barristian both came back alive from their mission to get into Mereene.

Jorah was still taking gold for info on Dany when they got to Mereene. That is why she felt so betrayed. After she lost Drogo and her son and they made it through the "red waste lands" that brought them to the slaver cities she felt like they had been to hell and back together, all those who traveled with her are her people now and he was still selling her out. That's why she banished him after he and Ser Barristian both came back alive from their mission to get into Mereene.

He wasn't still giving reports on her when they got to Meereen. IIRC, he made his last report sometime around the HOTU incident. So, yes after the red waste but not all the way up to Mereen.

I honesty don't think Ser Jorah is one of the Three betrayals. Sure he betrayed her at the beginning, but has been loyal since he fell in love with her! He has betrayed her, but not to the extent Mirri Maz Durr did!

By the same token, if I felt like it, I could easily write up a very good argument about how MMD did not betray the woman who enslaved her after her village was sacked, her friends killed, and her life ruined so as to fund an invasion of said woman's homeland. Daenerys may have perceived it as betrayal, but only because her own naivete made her think that MMD would be grateful to her for personally enslaving her.

OTOH, Jorah came into her service under false pretenses (as a spy for Varys). MMD came into her "service" because Daenerys enslaved her.

I don't believe that Jorah is part of the 3 betrayals, he loves her, or lusts her, too much to betray her but there's still more to read so he just might. It would seem as if one of the betrayals for blood would've been the price she paid, Drogo for her babies, but I don't believe it to be. In order for Dany to have been betrayed by Mirri Maz Durr she had to trust her, Dany never did not to the extent of being betrayed. Though Dany is naive and had Mirri Maz do her thing to Drogo, I don't believe Dany fully trusted the woman.

Alexia- I like your point of view.

The 3 betrayals will come into play after Mirri Maz gave that speech. So I think that the 3 betrayals will later come into play. Part of me believes that the betrayals will have something to do with her dragons or at least one of them. She'll fall in love with someone, she'll think the man loves her but he'll love her dragons, she'll wake one morning to find both her love and a dragon gone. For gold and for blood, this I'm not sure of yet. GRRM has such a way with writing you can't predict what will happen.

Now, I heard about the books after my boyfriend told me about them several months ago as well as the show. I watched the first season and was really intrigued. I did not read the first book, I started on A Clash of Kings and I am now on A Storm of Swords. I know I have to go back and read the first book but I'd rather do that once I've finished reading ASoS. So there may be plots/information to GoT that I didn't get from the show. So my views may be a little skewed for not having read the book but instead watching the show.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally think the three betrayals prophecy was just a load of crap. I'm hoping Dany will sooner or later discover this and understand you can never 100% know the loyalty of any other people, nor can you trust the words of any soothsayer.

I find it hard to trust anyone who makes a prophecy in asoiaf. Can't help but think they're letting hidden agendas or a fragile state of mind lead on their "visions".

Mirri for blood.

Ser Jorah for gold. (He betrayed her FOR the gold and possibility of returning to Westeros.) But maybe not.

Dany might just be so mad she had selective hearing towards the words "love" and "gold." I for one hope Jorah comes back into the story.

I think at least one of the betrayals is going to cost her a dragon. But that's just my prediction.

• 1 year later...

The three betrayals are as follows:

Mirri Maz Duur for Blood

She holds Dany responsible for her villages death and kills both Drogo and Rhaego in revenge when Dany trusted her to save them.

Ser Jorah Mormont for Love

He sold secrets to Varys the Spider in exchange for his being allowed to return home from exile, but also to protect her, as Varys was the reason she was still alive.

Brown Ben Plumm for Gold

One of Dany's trusted advisors, he switches sides to the Yunkai'i after he learns that Dany's dragons are uncontrollable, along with his sellsword company the Second Sons.

• 7 months later...

i have to disagree on the fact that Jorah didnt betray her "as much" as Mirri...because according to Mirri...her people had been raped and pillaged as it was and she was basically just getting revenge...Although Dany "claimed her and her other Lhazerine, they were already destroyed by her husbands Dothraki...she didnt give a fuck...i do believe Mirri is one of the betrayals tho... as for Jorah being gold or love? I think its gold and we will not find out love until later on.

Archived