Question on Name of the Wind

Lord Reek

Hey everybody, I have a question on "Name of the Wind" that I could just look up on the internet but I don't want to read any spoilers. Could somebody please answer it without giving up too much?

Basically, I was looking for a good fantasy read after ADwD because, well, TWoW will probably take several more years. I'm not really a fantasy fan on the one hand because I hate clichés (and probably nothing is so full of clichés as most fantasy) but on the other hand in fantasy anything is possible so sometimes it breaks free from all clichés.

I saw that The Name of the Wind was praised so I started reading it. Even though I do enjoy it (I'm about 1/4 through) I'm beginning to think this will just be another revenge story with a "purely evil" antagonist. This would bother me immensely, because as I said I do enjoy the read, but I don't want to find out that all this build up is just about Kvothe gaining more magical/fysical powers to defeat the evil demon that killed his parents. Could someone (please without giving away too much) tell me if this story is headed to this cliché? Thanks in advance!

While the eventual end point of the story might be about that, it really isn't about that at all - if such a contradiction makes any sense. It's about the life story of Kvothe and all the many things that happen to him, most of which have nothing to do with whoever it was that killed his parents.

It is an entertaining and fun read, worth sticking with in my opinion.

There is definitely a lot more than that. It is a complex, multilayered story, a bit long-winded for some (not for me... I enjoyed both volumes immensely), but in no way black-and-white. Some have called it "an adult version of Harry Potter" because of the university setting, and, while it certainly lacks the strong adult element of ASOIAF (both the sex and violence are very nuanced), there are enough realistic elements to appeal to GRRM fans. Personally speaking, I was hooked right from the start of The Name of the Wind. It may not be perfect, but it is very well-written and intricately plotted.

I have been taking part in a long and very involved discussion about these books over on another board over the last coupla weeks. Ironically, I have mostly taken the role of the naysayer over there. This, despite the fact that I have quite a bit of respect for the books.

There is a lot of depth to both NOTW and WMF. This is not a simple surface story of action and revenge. It's about stories, how stories get created and told and spread and changed. It's about which is more important -- story or "reality". It's about unintended consequences, and the damage that can be done by powerful people trying to do the right thing. It's about a lot of things. And it's a tragedy.

I don't think these books are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. In particular, the characterization of Kvothe often irritates the heck out of me because he is sometimes depicted as such a Gary Stu character. Nonetheless, I've already read NOTW twice and it's very likely that I'll end up reading all the books multiple times. IMHO these are books that greatly reward re-reading because there are so many layers to be revealed. So rest assured, this is very very far from "just another revenge story".

I don't think these books are perfect by any stretch of the imagination. In particular, the characterization of Kvothe often irritates the heck out of me because he is sometimes depicted as such a Gary Stu character. Nonetheless, I've already read NOTW twice and it's very likely that I'll end up reading all the books multiple times. IMHO these are books that greatly reward re-reading because there are so many layers to be revealed. So rest assured, this is very very far from "just another revenge story".

He's telling the story and I fully believe that some of the Gary Stu-ness comes from Kvothe-as-narrator himself.

He's telling the story and I fully believe that some of the Gary Stu-ness comes from Kvothe-as-narrator himself.

true but its his gary stuns that is the heart of his flaw. he is so aware of his infallibility that he is reckless and as ben put it, thoughtless. you see it throughout the book, he keeps making stupid mistakes because he's convinced that he can't make stupid mistakes.

also i don't think it will be very cliched with the whole good vs evil thing, mostly because we can see that kvorthe isn't the necessarily good character that we all want to believe he is, if anything he's like the fantasy version of batman.

oh and I'm pretty sure he never managed to kill the chandrian, which is something i picked up on in the first few chapters (ok he probably manages to kill cinder but i doubt anyone else).

It should probably be noted that Rothfuss LOVES deconstructing some cliches. So far the stage has been set for a classic revenge story with a Stuperior protagonist, but I have a feeling that cliche will be very deconstructed in the next book.

And now I need to go make a super spoiler post in the WMF thread.

It should probably be noted that Rothfuss LOVES deconstructing some cliches. So far the stage has been set for a classic revenge story with a Stuperior protagonist, but I have a feeling that cliche will be very deconstructed in the next book.

And now I need to go make a super spoiler post in the WMF thread.

Uh what fantasy cliches has he deconstructed?

Archived