Orson Scott Card 'updates' Hamlet For Modern Sensibilites, Hilarity Ensues

Yagathai

Despite knowing I would like it, I have avoided Ender's Game completely because of the idiot behind it. This is just one more reason for me to skip over his little section of the bookstore.

edit: These tags are new right? Never noticed them before. Spiffy.

Wow indeed! I found this quote from Publishers Weekly on Amazon:

"The writing and pacing have the feel of a draft for a longer and more introspective work that might have fleshed out Hamlet's indecision and brooding; instead, the focus is primarily on linking homosexuality with the life-destroying horrors of pedophilia, a focus most fans of possibly bisexual Shakespeare are unlikely to appreciate."

Just when you thought nothing could surprise you...

Fantastic! I can't wait for the rest of the series so lets guess what highlights are coming:

Anthony & Cleopatra. Well Anthony is gay obviously, which is why Cleopatra kills herself and why they get beaten by Octavian.

Macbeth. Macbeth is gay which is why he wears a skirt. And also why he kills.

Henry V. The Lords and Bishops tell Henry to forget all this salic law business - the King of France is gay and he's turned his whole army gay - victory is assured! Cry havoc and let slip the gaydar of war!

Othello. Iago tricks Cassio into telling Othello that Desdamona thinks he's gay so he has to kill her.

The sonnets might need a bit more of an overhaul though...

Card started going apeshit bananas in the last 90s, and its been spiraling down sense. None of this is really new, he just doesn't even pretend to hide it now. (Not that he did a good job before, but at least he tried). The only difference now is he throws in the islamaphobia.

Can we all just pretend Ender's Game was written by a different person?

NOt if you read it when your older and understand what that crazy fucker is trying to say.

I'm kind of GLAD he wrote this Hamlet monstrosity, now when people try to tell me Card isn't homophobic I can hold this up....and then hit them with it.

Grack21,

NOt if you read it when your older and understand what that crazy fucker is trying to say.

I'm kind of GLAD he wrote this Hamlet monstrosity, now when people try to tell me Card isn't homophobic I can hold this up....and then hit them with it.

For those of us who didn't read Ender's Game when we were older please enlighten us with what Card was actually trying to say.

Grack21,

For those of us who didn't read Ender's Game when we were older please enlighten us with what Card was actually trying to say.

I think Grack21 was probably getting at the points made in this article:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm

Weirdly, I agree with the article author's thesis and interpretation of OSC, and still think Ender's Game is a good book.

OSC was always off the reservation, but at the very least, he used to be off the reservation in an interesting and artistically valid way. One need not agree with a writer's philosophy or outlook to agree that the writer wrote a good, even great piece of fiction. Unfortunately, if it was not clear before, it is very clear now that OSC is no longer capable of doing this.

Archived