Ser Duncan's progeny

Which Tyler

The Cleganes can't be descendents of Dunk, I remember somewhere that their father was excited to have Gregor knighted because it meant they finally had a knight in the family- something he wouldn't say if they were descended from a Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of the Cleganes being descendants of Dunk. That doesn't mean Dunk couldn't have gotten his groove on with one of the eventual grandmothers of the Clegane boys when he was still technically a hedge knight. And perhaps the affair was secret. We just don't know.

The only descendant I feel comfortable calling is Brienne. Hodor is a decent candidate as well, but there's little to no support for that except his size and Bran's vision of a girl (Old Nan when she wasn't so old?) kissing a really tall knight in the WF godswood.

Just so. He went all way to Dorne. So he was more in love than just lusty. Right?

False distinction IMO I am using lusty to mean he had a sex drive like everyone else and yes its your more romantic or virginal person whose sex/romance drive would send em on such a journey!

Back to topic: I only noticed Brienne as a descendent but now I have looked at the wiki I agree Small Paul is likely. No reason to think Cleganes other than size, thats not enough. Why Left and Right, is there anything more than size as an argument?

False distinction IMO I am using lusty to mean he had a sex drive like everyone else and yes its your more romantic or virginal person whose sex/romance drive would send em on such a journey!

Back to topic: I only noticed Brienne as a descendent but now I have looked at the wiki I agree Small Paul is likely. No reason to think Cleganes other than size, thats not enough. Why Left and Right, is there anything more than size as an argument?

So far size is the main factor that is leading the speculations. The only other clues some connections through symbols (Dunk's shield on Tarth), themes (the truest knights aren't really knights), and some turns of phrase (Dunk and Small Paul being called "thick as a castle wall"). Still, speculation is fun.

I personally think it would be great if a small person wound up being a descendant of Dunk. Like Ser Shadrich.

So far size is the main factor that is leading the speculations. The only other clues some connections through symbols (Dunk's shield on Tarth), themes (the truest knights aren't really knights), and some turns of phrase (Dunk and Small Paul being called "thick as a castle wall"). Still, speculation is fun.

I personally think it would be great if a small person wound up being a descendant of Dunk. Like Ser Shadrich.

It's like the old joke that nobody was ever "nobody" in their previous life. They were always someone rich and famous. It would be hilarious if Dunk's descendant turned out to be Moon Boy or Patchface.

Some other Brienne as duncs descendant that I didn't see mentioned on a skim through.

Brienne and pod as not a knight pretending to be a hedge knight with an odd squire parallels dunc and egg.

Also Brienne comes to Jamie in dance when he's at pennytree.

:agree: I've always felt that Brienne and Pod was a tribute to Dunk and Egg. Maybe Pod is a Targ and AA? :eek:

It's like the old joke that nobody was ever "nobody" in their previous life. They were always someone rich and famous. It would be hilarious if Dunk's descendant turned out to be Moon Boy or Patchface.

Or Shitmouth.

OR that poor sodding bystander that gets killed by Gregor while he's fighting Oberyn. Now that would be anti-climactic.

Some other Brienne as duncs descendant that I didn't see mentioned on a skim through.

Brienne and pod as not a knight pretending to be a hedge knight with an odd squire parallels dunc and egg.

Also Brienne comes to Jamie in dance when he's at pennytree.

Pennytree is also the town right next to Raventree, the home of the Blackwoods. The point of this chapter is that Jaime respectfully takes the castle and welcomes the Blackwoods back to the King's Peace. He has to take a hostage, but chooses NOT to take Blackwood's treasured-only daughter. He accepts his very tall, goofy, bookish son Hoster Tully. Jaime muses that Hoster "could tell him the story of Pennytree." Pennytree is discussed several times in the chapter, which immediately makes the brain think of Dunk and Egg. A big part of the chapter talks about the Teats and so you don't really notice Hoster Blackwood too much.

He's a descendant of Dunk, and doesn't seem thick at all.

Eh, I'm not a big fan of the Cleganes being descendants of Dunk. That doesn't mean Dunk couldn't have gotten his groove on with one of the eventual grandmothers of the Clegane boys when he was still technically a hedge knight. And perhaps the affair was secret. We just don't know.

The only descendant I feel comfortable calling is Brienne. Hodor is a decent candidate as well, but there's little to no support for that except his size and Bran's vision of a girl (Old Nan when she wasn't so old?) kissing a really tall knight in the WF godswood.

I don't think that a girl would keep it a secret. I mean she has to give some story and there's no point about keeping a secret if she is a is commoner, which it is most likely that they were. Basically, there no evidence for the Cleganes to be descendents and from what we know about their father it is likely that he would have bragged about had it been known.

:agree: I've always felt that Brienne and Pod was a tribute to Dunk and Egg. Maybe Pod is a Targ and AA? :eek:

actually I thought Pod might be a Dunk escendent because his backstory - deprived sort of childhood - got into trouble - saved and given as a squire to Tyrion whom he becomes deeply attached to - can hardly speak - says he can fight and proved he can - is similar, but I think you just get the same themes and similar characters all through ASOIF.

• 7 months later...

It was mentioned somewhere as a So Spake Martin - and that there were 4 (or possibly 4 that we've met).

Brienne - size, nature, shield (and choice of shield)

Oh that's a good one. Since Duncan is heading to winterfell then Hodor makes lots of sense. Brienne with the shield....the Cleganes don't feel right to me though. Maybe someone in the riverlands related to Jenny of Oldstones? The old lady on the hill maybe a mother?

There seems to be 2 things that always some up in threads about Dunk's progeny.

1. That Every single tall person is descended from him.

2. That shy old Dunk becomes some sort of sex god bedding so many ladies to sire them. That this contradicts his established nature and the fact he is in the Kingsguard.

My thought on 1. are that we can exclude tall folk like Umbars and Baratheons as they seem to be tall longer than Dunk's been around (Lyonel Baratheon is huge, the Umbars have always used a giant). I think Brienne is a definite because of the shield. Hodor pretty much too because of Bran's vision of the tall Knights. Others like the Cleganes and Left/Right are less certain.

To address number 2. it's possible for Dunk to have heaps of progeny and still only have had a few romances.

Here's a hypothetical I have in mind:

Dunk heads north and beds Young Nan, leaves before either know she's pregnant. - Hodor's line is established.

Dunk get's rewarded as the Knight/Lord of Penny Tree at some point (We see in AFFC Penny Tree is a Royal Fiefdom exempt from the Riverlands).

Dunk marries the daughter of the Lord of Tarth, this daughter has brothers so she's not the heir. However something happens and they die leaving Dunk's child to take the Tarth name and be lord/heir. - Brienne's Line is established

The Lady of Tarth dies. Dunk forgoes remarrying. With his son as Lord of Tarth he surrenders the Fiefdom of Penny Tree back tot the Throne and joins the Kingsuard.

Years later, his son visiting Casterly Rock beds a servant who issues the Clegane Ancestor.

Possibly another son or grandson gives off Left and Right's line.

At the time of TMK ironborn are raiding west coast from westerland to north. There may be alliance Rock and WF. Dunk is heading to winterfell. There he fights for starks, establishes Hodor's ancestory, Ironborn after being defeated in north concentrate on westerlands. Stark in WF sends soldiers to westetlands via sea/land. Dunk is with them. There he establishes clageme ancestory.

Could be. My father was 1.93 and I'm 1.50.

There seems to be 2 things that always some up in threads about Dunk's progeny.

1. That Every single tall person is descended from him.

2. That shy old Dunk becomes some sort of sex god bedding so many ladies to sire them. That this contradicts his established nature and the fact he is in the Kingsguard.

He's the Ashara Dayne of his time :/

Archived