Why Renly? Why? Damn It!

Rody

So I am reading CoK and I am well past that night with Cat, Brienne and Renly in that tent.

But, anyways, once I started reading Cat´s POV where she me met Renly, I was hooked into the guy, he seemed to be a good king and all, with a huge ego, but still cool in his own way.

But then Martin goes and

kills the guy

I was like WTF right away, but then again I remembered that Martin has no mercy to anyone on the books lol.

Thank you Martin, for making me like a characted and then throw it down the drain, all authors should be badass as Martin.

Totally - it was that moment that made me find these forums. While a few of my friends watched GoT, none have yet been hooked into the books, and I needed to share my shock at that moment!

GRRM's willingness to kill off/seriously hurt/show in a bad light major characters is one of the things that makes the story so gripping. Usually even in the most perilous scene, you know the hero is going to survive - here you really feel the peril.

I'm still sad about Renly though - and for poor Loras losing him.

I was more shocked by how Renly died than his actual death. I didn't like him at all. He was an arrogant and foolish boy. Holding tourneys during his march to lay siege to a city? Taking his wife with him into a battle? Stannis has a just claim to the throne but because Renly's friendly and fun he thinks he should be king? Good thing he was a child when Robert took the iron throne. He would have ended a similar way.

In the TV series we see that they ARE gay, but in the book I just could not pick up the hints of their "love", so can anyone guide to me to certain parts of the book that I can read so I can finally get the hints that Martin threw around.

Hints of their love:

- someone called Loras "Renly's little rose".

- when Sansa married... other someone (I don't know how make "spoiler") Garlan Tyrell said something about Loras he could be worse husband than this someone.

- Loras Tyrell went to White Cloaks, he could forget about marriage and producing heirs then.

- Loras Tyrell went mad after Renly's death and killed some Rainbow Guardsmen.

- Loras Tyrell said "when the sun is lost, candle is'nt recompensation" (or something similar I don't remember all phrase)

I hope I helped.

True, at first I did not see it while reading that Mel actually drank the poison, I thought she made Cressen drink first.

But now I went back and saw it, so CoK opens up with some sort of magic.

But she did fail at making the flaming sword in the beginning though

I agree, Renly was pretty sweet, and a really likable guy. Probably would have made the best king of all the different contenders. For the first third of ACOK, I was really rooting for Renly. But his death really through a twist into things, and I thought it was really int interesting how Stannis suddenly became so powerful. Anyways, now that Renly is gone, I'm rooting for the Lannisters!

Don't forget what Donal said about Renly. He was nice to look at, but in the end not much worth.

Given how he had tourneys while men fought and died in other parts of the realm, and was planning to stage an attack at the moment when it would benefit Stannis the most out of sheer arrogance they would surrender, I'm not quite sure if Renly dying was such a bad thing.

• 1 month later...

Hints of their love:

- someone called Loras "Renly's little rose".

- when Sansa married... other someone (I don't know how make "spoiler") Garlan Tyrell said something about Loras he could be worse husband than this someone.

- Loras Tyrell went to White Cloaks, he could forget about marriage and producing heirs then.

- Loras Tyrell went mad after Renly's death and killed some Rainbow Guardsmen.

- Loras Tyrell said "when the sun is lost, candle is'nt recompensation" (or something similar I don't remember all phrase)

I hope I helped.

Also the fact that no one really doubts Margaery being a virgin. (spoiler?)

I agree with You, "Winterfell is burning".

Why Renly?

Because Renly was nice, smiling, charismatic, handsome, pretty clothed and armored...traitor.

He has feelings and rights of his older brother in his backside. Together with:

- wellbeings and lives of his "niece" and "nephews" /he did'nt know about incest/;

- honor and feelings of his other niece;

- promise of Stannis "You'll become Heir of Crown and member of my Small Council, if you'll bend a knee".

Stannis will be remember Renly's peach all his life.

Renly could be forget Stannis's death after one week.

Archived