Which city would you want to live in?

Melpomene

This is a no-brainer for me: Oldtown. I've always been a big fan of books and the acquisition of knowledge generally, and I think living in a sort of college town would suit me well. Plus I love the idea of whiling away my free time at the Quill and Tankard, drinking the "fearsomely strong" cider and watching the Honeywine flow by.

Not to mention that while it is one of the two major cities of Westeros, it is (seemingly) considerably cleaner than King's Landing.

Unfortunately there aren't too many islands in teh temperate zone. And being an Islander I'm not too keen on the continent. I'm not interested in being Ironborn so by process of latitudinal elmination I think Faircastle is the place for me. But it's too close to the Iron Islands for my liking. Though I'm thinking Faircastle is too insignificant a raiding destination so it might be safe from reaving despite its proximity. Proximity to Lannisport means regular visits to a big, wealthy city for some fun.

• 2 months later...

White Harbour if I chose to live in The North. I have always loved the sea, and the city sounds a very comforting place, and I have always had an urge to see the Merman's court!

Yet, I would have to go with Storms End!!! Housed by my favourite house, The Baratheons. And it can with stand the mightiest of armies during a strong siege, so a place of safety! (untill Randyll Tarly decides to starve the city into submission of course)

Of all the cities we have seen, I would usually pick Oldtown. If I were freakingly dirty rotten rich, I would pick Volantis or Qarth, buy a palace and fill it with...well...with "pleasant staff".

But now Oldtown is in great danger of being caught between the ironborn and the dornish (if the latter support Aegon´s claims), and Volantis is likely going to burn, so I will go for Braavos, at least until the war ends.

I would love to travel Martin's world, but not live there. But if I had to pick, as a lace lover I would pick Myr. I'm not a big fan of the Free Cities, but at least I can imagine myself doing something I enjoy for a living there, learning the trade or working in the industry in some other capacity. I love Winterfell and the Eyrie, but what would I do there, if I wasn't a Lady? Be a maid or a washerwoman all my life? Nah.

Another vote for the free cities for sure, I'll have to go with Braavos, based on its more Northernly, presumably cooler climate and melting pot type culture. The huge amount of commercial activity seems like there might be opportunities to make a living.

In Westeros, I think I'd be less sure. I'm staying away from anything in the center of the continent - the Riverlands and areas nearby seem to be overrun by war on a regular basis. Dorne seems to be fairly quiet throughout ASOIAF and the southern/eastern coastlines seem beautiful. I might have to go with the city that surrounds sunspear if I went with Westeros at all.

Archived