Syrio Forel

Ice & Fire

Why isn't Trant dead then? More than likely he was shamed into defeat by Syrio, who then escaped his clutches. I could then see him telling his Lannister cohorts to keep quiet about it otherwise they would all be in trouble with the Lannister officers/commanders for losing Arya. Probably even start a rumour that Arya is dead (I mean, it wasn't exactly long before everyone started assuming Arya was dead). We don't hear Tyrion/Cersei or anyone on the small council mention a "dancing instructor" who singler handedly destroyed a squad of Lannister men-at-arms.

This thing with Syrio reminds me of "the Russian" mystery that surrounded The Sopranos. If you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

I'm watching The Sopranos currently, and saw the mystery about the Russian a few weeks ago, and yeah, it reminds me of Syrio aswell.

Hopefully it turns out I am right and Meyrn Trant is in fact Syrio Forel. Shapeshifting, ftw!

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love Syrio as a character, and I love the idea of him living, part of me is sure that he's dead. I'm almost sure that if he were alive he would have popped back up at some point.

However, despite my belief that he is indeed dead, part of me will always have this tiny flicker of hope that he'll reappear and surprise me. All "OH HELLO! FIRST SWORD OF BRAAVOS WHAT WHAT?!"

Okay, maybe not in THOSE exact words, and perhaps much more eloquently........... :uhoh:

• 3 months later...

Syrio was a fabulous character and the man who played him in the show made me love him much more! It was exciting to watch him and listen to his words. But personally, I think it's okay if he's back or not. He fulfilled his mission, taught Arya to fight, think, be a dancer. There are some theories that he might be back as a different face but i don't think it's true. Also, we know that untill now, nothing good has happened for our lead characters, no one hesitates to get killed or something. (Thanks to Martin -_-) And the fact that Syrio was a good man can give us the idea of him being dead. (Damn -_-)

We do hear a sword clanging to the ground but it doesn't mean it was from Syrio's fight with Trant.

However i do hope Syrio returns, he's such a nice character! Also, the actor who plays Syrio in the series is from my country (Cyprus) and I'm so proud :D

• 2 weeks later...

In 2005, GRRM pointed out that Syrio seems to have been left in a hopeless situation when he was last seen, and suggested readers should “draw your own conclusions” based on this, which seems to imply that syrio forel was in fact killed. More recent reports (but, it should be said, unconfirmed) indicate GRRM does not understand why he gets asked the question repeatedly, pointing out that Syrio is not immortal; if accurate, this seems to more heavily imply that Syrio Forel is dead.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/1999/

As someone who has loved Syrio from the beginning, I refuse to believe that he died in the book -- although in the series it did sound to me like he died.. who knows! There are so many theories knocking around, like him actually defeating Trant and assuming his identity (cuz he's a faceless man), or even him being Jaqen H'gar - all interesting views

• 2 weeks later...

Arya ran away before the fight had an end. So you won't get any evidence if he's dead or not, in my humble opinion I believe he is dead. Firstly, his job was to teach arya something he certainly achieved "fear cuts deeper then swords" is said every other paragraph. Secondly, it's Martin we're talking about here, once he's had his fun with a character, it's off with his head lol

As someone who has loved Syrio from the beginning, I refuse to believe that he died in the book -- although in the series it did sound to me like he died.. who knows! There are so many theories knocking around, like him actually defeating Trant and assuming his identity (cuz he's a faceless man), or even him being Jaqen H'gar - all interesting views

My impression reading the book was that he was killed, it suprised me that others felt differently. He died a very honorable death.

Archived