Person of Interest - J.J. Abrams & Jonathan Nolan Show

drawkcabi

Anyone else watch this last night.

I thought it was pretty good, definitely the best of the new series premiering this month,

Kind of Minority Report meets Batman with 1984 thrown in. Reese (Jim Caveizel - not gonna look up the spelling) sold his character. It has a real Nolan Batman feel to it, Reese basically becomes a crime fighter that lurks in the shadows but without any superhero costume - though it's cool how the witnesses refer to him more than once as "just a guy in a suit" to the cop (Walker?) trying to figure out who he is.

Thought the writing was solid, plot kept me interested throughout, one of the darker shows I've seen on the main networks recently,

If they keep the show fresh and not let it stagnate into a formulaic series this could become one of my new favorite shows. Looking forward to next week's episode.

I recorded it - will weigh in once I've watched. Last night I was wrapped up in L O S T nostalgia (yes, I'm one of those people). I figured Emerson's new show could wait a day or 2.

The premise seems like a darker version of "Early Edition" - old show with Kyle Chandler where he'd mysteriously receive the newspaper a day early and then go save some poor soul from an impending house fire or robbery or whatnot.

I think it was good enough for a second look. A few bits of dialogue were kinda clunky, I'm hoping that was just a pilot thing. It did have a very Batman vibe, which is fine by me.

I'll be interested to see how it develops.

It shouldn't shock anyone that it has a Batman vibe. It's written and produced by Jonathan Nolan (Christopher's brother) who co-wrote The Dark Knight and it's upcoming sequel.

I thought it was pretty darn good. Michael Emerson really sells his character, and Jim Caviezel was very believable as the brooding badass. I thought it surprisingly brutal for network TV (was there a male antagonist that Reese didn't shoot?), but obviously with the gore played down it was kind of distracting. I'll give the second episode a go for sure.

This seemed kind of pointless to me. There's no overarching story here, just a promise of a series of case-of-the-week scenarios. The two main characters are very uncomplicated (and there's no hint at all that there is more to them), and I thought the guy playing Reese had some very badly delivered lines.

I liked it, but I'd watch anything with Michael Emerson in it (yes, I'm a Lostie). I suspect they'll delve into the characters more and create a deeper, more complex and compelling story arc as the season progresses.

It shouldn't shock anyone that it has a Batman vibe. It's written and produced by Jonathan Nolan (Christopher's brother) who co-wrote The Dark Knight and it's upcoming sequel.

I thought that was a given when I made the comparison, considering the title I made for the thread. Nolan brought a lot of what was good about The Dark Knight to this series, let's hope he can continue.

This seemed kind of pointless to me. There's no overarching story here, just a promise of a series of case-of-the-week scenarios. The two main characters are very uncomplicated (and there's no hint at all that there is more to them), and I thought the guy playing Reese had some very badly delivered lines.

I'm hoping for an overarching story. It seems ripe for a conspiracy unraveling type arc, maybe conspiracies within conspiracies just as long as it doesn't get too Alias or X-Files-ish with the teasing.

There was a lot of set up needed to be accomplshed in the pilot, even so they did initiate the police officer Walker's interest in the homeless guy/man in a suit. She's going to be digging deeper but she might end up being in the Jim Gordon role.

And there was only enough exposition going into Caveizel's and Emerson's characters' backgrounds to get the viewer to get a basic idea of where these characters are coming from, there's lots of room there to uncover things they did and were involved in in the past.

I really want to see how all this progresses.

However, if the show does end up being just a series of case-of-the-week scenarios, that's what I meant by letting it stagnate into formulaic television. If that happens I will be disappointed.

However, if the show does end up being just a series of case-of-the-week scenarios, that's what I meant by letting it stagnate into formulaic television. If that happens I will be disappointed.

haven't watched it yet, but i heard this is what the plan is. sad, but that's what gets ratings

haven't watched it yet, but i heard this is what the plan is. sad, but that's what gets ratings

I can't help but think of Fringe here, which start out very monster/bad guy of the week-y and transitioned into a deep over arching plot.

Hell they get the SSNs from a patriot act Orwellian super computer. How is that not a major conspiracy waiting to happen.

Also it would appear Reese and Finch have both lost loved ones in the past. Is there really anyone who doesn't want to watch Emerson hunt the bastards that killed his daughter/wife/whoever? I didn't think so.

Regardless of what direction they take it, I'm on board for now.

I enjoyed this show. I can watch Emmerson act any time. I think he is brilliant. The one thing that I think that show is lacking is a character with a sense of humor to break the tension. That was my basic problem with the show The Event. I really enjoyed the premise, but it was just hard to sit through without a break...

I'm on board with this show as well. There seemed to be plenty of potential for overarching storylines. We just have to be patient for 5 or 6 episodes of bad-guys-of-the-week in the A-story as the ground work for the unraveling of the conspiracies is set in the B-story. Thereafter, the attempts to solve the mysteries will become the more prominent storyline. I think the first season of Dollhouse is an example of how that type of thing works.

I liked the premiere well enough to keep watching the show, though like others on this thread I have worries that it will be just a series of case-of-the-week scenarios with little or no overarching story. Oh, and I think it a bit strange that the police officer didn't ask the various persons who'd met "a guy in a suit" to describe him to a sketch artist.

I'm on board with this show as well. There seemed to be plenty of potential for overarching storylines. We just have to be patient for 5 or 6 episodes of bad-guys-of-the-week in the A-story as the ground work for the unraveling of the conspiracies is set in the B-story. Thereafter, the attempts to solve the mysteries will become the more prominent storyline. I think the first season of Dollhouse is an example of how that type of thing works.

ok i watched it, and while i liked the pilot, i don't see what conspiracies will be unraveled. Seems like they set it up nicely. The best parts of the show were how Ben hired him and of course, later explained the system. My hope would be that there is more backstory to revela about the two leads. Otherwsie, it really seems like they are in place to just get a number each week and investigate. And while the show is well done, the first case they took on was not really interesting. It's likely that we just saw the best episode. I will keep watching, just in case but it is CBS, my expectations are grounded.

Finally watched the pilot, and I really enjoyed it. Emerson is great - he's still on an island with seemingly limitless resources at his disposal, but he's using his power for good now. Caviezel does "brooding dangerous good guy" just the way I like it. I'm willing to suspend disbelief and go along for the ride.

Considering that it was created by the same guy who wrote Memento, The Prestige and The Dark Knight, I was expecting great things from the pilot, but it was slightly disappointing. Compared to the rest of the fall season shows though, it's really good.

The premise is interesting and the pilot sets up what could be an awesome season, but it feels far from what could be "the next big thing on TV."

James Caviezel does a pretty good job being such a badass though. And Michael Emerson is solid, but hasn't had much to do yet.

I'm not ready to crown this show the next big thing on TV after only the pilot. But after watching it I am eagerly anticipating the next episode. If it turns out to be a bad guy of the week show, well I'll just keep watching until I feel I'm losing interest.

If it turns out to be more substantial than that, that would be great and CBS better not dare cancel it. :tantrum:

I don't need it to be the next big thing at this point, I was just pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the first episode, it was one of those situations where I knew next nothing about this new show before it aired and just ended up watching it because it was on after The Big Bang Theory, so I had no expectations.

To my delight I enjoyed it more than any other show that started this fall and I'm happy to come back for more. It's up to the show to keep me feeling that way now.

Archived