#1 Starkess

Starkess

so totally yay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:27 PM

Anyone else watching this?

I love Zooey Deschanel so I was happy to see her come to TV. Have caught the first two episodes and I'm not sure what to think.

On the one hand, I might throw up if I hear this show or her characters described as "adorkable" again. It's so blatantly being pushed as "Hey! She's quirky! She sings to herself and does quirky, zany things! Isn't she lovable? And quirky?"

But on the other hand...she is lovable. She's fun to watch and easy to root for. Watching her go through the stages of a break-up is really believable and relatable. The group of guys is a fun dynamic, too, to play her against.

I guess my main doubt now is what kind of legs this show has. I mean, how long can they build on her just being quirky? That can very quickly lead to ridiculous territory in trying to one-up previous episodes. The only chance a show like this has is to really develop the relationships/friendships between the characters. So far I'm not sure they have succeeded, but it takes longer than 2 shows for that to gel, so I guess I'll keep tuning in.

Already seeing the set-up for the guy-who-was-dumped-by-Caroline (I seriously have no clue what his name is) and Jess, am okay with it. Think it's the only connection so far the really rings genuine.

#2 Myrddin

Myrddin

Master of Stairway Wit

• Members
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

I enjoyed the pilot, but last night seemed off when they swapped out roommates (I guess Wayan's other show was picked up for a second season?). Damon Wayan's son was hilarious, quirky, and had great chemistry with the other three mains. The new guys feels like the "token black guy" who used to live there and now has moved back in. He wasn't bad, but compared to Wayan, he's not as interesting.

We'll see how the new guy's character develops.

#3 Tormund Ukrainesbane

Tormund Ukrainesbane

Steely eyed and resolute

• Members
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

I watch it with the wife and spent the whole episode last night trying to figure out who this new person was and what happened to the other guy. Did they even say?

#4 Starkess

Starkess

so totally yay

• Members
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, agreed that Coach was a better character, but I love his other show (Happy Endings), so I won't begrudge his absence.

I watch it with the wife and spent the whole episode last night trying to figure out who this new person was and what happened to the other guy. Did they even say?

They made brief reference to it at the beginning of the episode, setting up the swap.

#5 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

I am watching right now on demand. I just realized that FOX has an on demand option now. She is absolutely adorable. I think that I can watch her for a long time. I also really like the fact that this show doesn't have a laugh track. As a matter of fact, I see very little difference between this show and Whitney except the laugh track on Whitney makes it unwatchable.

#6 Francis Buck

Francis Buck

pleistocene vampire

• Members
  • 3,294 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

I am watching right now on demand. I just realized that FOX has an on demand option now. She is absolutely adorable. I think that I can watch her for a long time. I also really like the fact that this show doesn't have a laugh track. As a matter of fact, I see very little difference between this show and Whitney except the laugh track on Whitney makes it unwatchable.

Agreed on the laugh track thing. For me, laugh tracks literally ruin a show almost instantly (I think it's part of what initially drew me to It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia...well that and the fact that I live right next to Philadelphia).

I haven't watched this show yet, but I do find Zooey Deschanel to be painfully attractive, so I'll probably end up checking it out just for her...

#7 WrathOfTinyKittens

WrathOfTinyKittens

Snuggly, with claws

• Members
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:50 PM

I really enjoy the show. Like Starkess, I'm a big Zooey Deschanel fan, but she can only carry the show so far... I think the supporting characters are solid. The new black guy (can't remember the character's name) will need some time to develop, but the other two are, for me, solid.

#8 RedEyedGhost

RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• Members
  • 6,931 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

I also thought the pilot was better than last night's episode.

Yeah, agreed that Coach was a better character, but I love his other show (Happy Endings), so I won't begrudge his absence.

I liked Coach quite a bit more than the new guy too. He just seemed to jell better with the others. I don't know why but I thought his random attack of rage in the first episode was freaking hilarious.

I think she is one of the most attractive famous people on the planet; she's just got the entire package. And yet we still get posts like this from another thread:

[tangent] I don't get why Zooey is considered hot around here. Because various indy-movie geek protagonists vied for her attention? [/tangent]

#9 Reposado

Reposado

Trop de tequila ou pas assez?

• Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

decent show, but totally carried by zoey. She's funny. Leo is okay, and the the other two look like they aren't bringing anything to the table.

But I'll keep watching for a while. Wasn't a Zoey fan beforehand, don't think she is spectacularly attractive, (average for a celebrity) but she is good.

#10 Eyelesbarrow

Eyelesbarrow

Catastrophe Waitress

• Members
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Watched this. I generally like ZD, especially as She and Him, but I get the complaint that the cuteness and quirks can be annoying. I like the set up and the guy friends and I hope they veer away very soon from the storyline where the guys back Jess up when she does something over her head. I want more variety. And Cece. There should be more Cece.

#11 ICE CROW

ICE CROW

She's the closest to Heaven that i've ever been.

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

I have to say that i have not been a fan of the sitcoms that have been on television for the last decade. I just watched the first episode of this and was shocked at how much i enjoyed it. Zoey D was fantastic, i can't say that ive been a fan of hers, but i have enjoyed pretty much everything ive seen her in. I was surprised at how i didn't instantly hate any of the characters either. Usually there is always one character who even from the first episode of the show is someone i detest, this wasn't the case this time. I also thought there was decent chemistry between the cast, granted ive only watched the one episode so time will tell.

I don't know if im a fan of what i think their setting up as the romance scenario for the show. It seems like to me their gonna have it so Zoey ends up at some point falling for not Coach or Shmidt but the other guy.

All in all, very surprised at how much i enjoyed this show.

Ok so a quick edit, just watched the second epiode of the show and am pissed off. Damon Wayans Jr was recast and this new guy, is just not as good in my opinion. Supposedly Wayans is also on some other show Happy Endings, that also got picked up but on that one he has a bigger role. I don't know anymore, Wayans had a chemistry with the rest of the cast in that first episode, that i am not getting from the new guy.

Edited by ICE CROW, 29 September 2011 - 04:28 AM.

#12 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Ok so a quick edit, just watched the second epiode of the show and am pissed off. Damon Wayans Jr was recast and this new guy, is just not as good in my opinion. Supposedly Wayans is also on some other show Happy Endings, that also got picked up but on that one he has a bigger role. I don't know anymore, Wayans had a chemistry with the rest of the cast in that first episode, that i am not getting from the new guy.

I just watched the second episode, and had the exact opposite reaction. I thought that Coach was just a little awkward with the anger thing. The new guy seems to be a little more cohesive with the cast especially with Schmidt. It also seems to give the show a straight man that I think is much needed. I am looking forward to watching more of this.

best line this week...

"you've got Schmidt on your face"

#13 Spaceman Hobbes

Spaceman Hobbes

Council Member

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

I just watched the second episode, and had the exact opposite reaction. I thought that Coach was just a little awkward with the anger thing. The new guy seems to be a little more cohesive with the cast especially with Schmidt. It also seems to give the show a straight man that I think is much needed. I am looking forward to watching more of this.

best line this week...

"you've got Schmidt on your face"

See I felt this way too. After the pilot I thought Coach's entire character was, "I don't understand women, so I get nervous and yell." He was the least developed character in the pilot. And so far I'm loving the interactions between new guy and Schmidt.

#14 SkynJay

SkynJay

Now, what did we learn?

• Members
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

This show as gotten better and better. It is pure awkward humor, but I am enjoying it a lot. And the beauty that plays CeCe may be my current celeb crush.

Anyone else still watching? Anyone else still laughing at a turkey in the dryer?

#15 RedEyedGhost

RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• Members
  • 6,931 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

Anyone else still watching? Anyone else still laughing at a turkey in the dryer?

Yep, and that was probably the best episode yet. Justin Long was great.

Raising Hope afterwards was freaking hilarious!

#16 Horus Ex Machina

Horus Ex Machina

Laughing Man

• Members
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

Just netflixed this series. Although the MPDG isn't really my thing in a woman, I do have to admit that I have long been hooked by Zooey Daschanel's cuteness factor. It happens to me from time to time. I'm a bit divided as to whether I preferred Wayans or the new guy. I also thought that like some of the last few ppl to comment that Wayans was funnier, but he was also kinda jarring. This new guy is not as funny, but he gels with the chemistry of the show better. It's interesting that his backstory is so similar to coach's. As for whether they may overuse Zooey's character quirks was answered mostly in the Cece episode where she seemed to be more of the straight mature character with her quirks toned-down a bit. There should be more episodes like that to make her seem the "normal" character from time to time. Cool show.

Edited by Horus Bergeron, 17 November 2011 - 03:07 AM.

#17 WrathOfTinyKittens

WrathOfTinyKittens

Snuggly, with claws

• Members
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

This show as gotten better and better. It is pure awkward humor, but I am enjoying it a lot. And the beauty that plays CeCe may be my current celeb crush.

Cece is damn attractive. It is known.

I'm loving this show. I think Schmidt might be my favorite character, though Winston has grown into his role a lot over the past few episodes. I was in tears last night for the scene where Nick and Jess were arguing in the hall. The clincher for that already-funny scene was the brief shot of Scmidt grinning and fist pumping for Justin Long.

#18 Starkess

Starkess

so totally yay

• Members
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

It is definitely improving. The Thanksgiving episode was so fantastic. I really like the Nick-Jess vibe, although of course this is sitcom-land so we all know how that is going to go.

And Schmidt is totally growing on me. As is Winston. Really they all are!

#19 Bronn is God

Bronn is God

Council Member

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

Watched the pilot, it was ok. DW Jr carried the funny for me. Watched the second episode, realized DW Jr was replaced and I stopped just before the intro and never tuned in again.

#20 Renasko

Renasko

Council Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

From what I saw of it (first couple of episodes), it looked like a complete mind-drain, but I do find Zooey quite charming, and if Justin Long is involved...

Reply to this topic