Can we please talk about Brienne's last word again?

Gray Ghost

I refuse to believe that Brienne would betray Jaime. Everything we know about her character suggests that she would die rather than dishonor herself.

Maybe she understands the value of lying to protect her honour and plays along and trys to bring the scenario to her favor.

Maybe she learns a little from Jaime, and tries to be a little underhanded to do an honourable thing.

Maybe she understands the value of lying to protect her honour and plays along and trys to bring the scenario to her favor.

Maybe she learns a little from Jaime, and tries to be a little underhanded to do an honourable thing.

Which is an interesting thought in terms of her possible story arc and the issues she might face. She has always been so honourable and wants so much to adhere to the ideals of knighthood, so will she ever be forced into a situation of 'which oath', or be asked to do something that she would see as dishonourable in order to save someone, or do a greater good?

• 1 year later...

She certainly behaves as if she still views Catelyn as Catelyn. Also, in her first chapter she explicitly says that the oaths we swear to the dead are extra super special important.

I wondered prevously also, whether she could be released from her vows once Cat dies and then became undead so to speak.

I am inclined to think that while she may have said a word such as "sword", she may still have no intention of killing Jaime. The reason being is that if Brienne views vows to the dead as being sacrosanct, she may choose to honour the original vow she made to Cat before becoming undead rather than any statements of promise or intent she made to Lady Stoneheart, hence her primary purpose may be to enlist Jaime's help to search for Sansa and Arya and return them to her, and hence may resolve the moral connundrum she might otherwise face as an oathbreaker. Although, I am board with the whole Brienne accusing Stoneheart of being an oathbreaker as well as that appears to make a lot of sense.

I don't think she'd say 'Lysa'; they were suspending her considerable weight a few feet in the air by the throat. She wouldn't have the air in her lungs to have a full conversation or really get all that much out. A conversation while dieing of strangulation is relatively uncommon, so I'm guessing it was limited to one word.

But I'll be unoriginal and say 'Sword' :P

I think this has been pretty solidly given away - I hope so because I will not tolerate an undead Brienne!

Maybe - maybe Brienne, for Podrick's sake, cried "I agree! I'll kill Jaime!"

But... it was one word... I don't know.

That's the gist of the one word favored to be that word. Except of course she wont. I hope.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived