Is Ros the only character in the show that is not in the books?

Mildrid

Actually, Ros is in the books. Jon alludes to her in the first book when he tells Sam about his failed adventure in a brothel. He cockblocks himself with his own surname. Impressive.

ETA: ^^this is lies. Can't find anything like this in the books.

Interestingly enough, that scene seems to have been stuck in the heads of quite a few people. I had recently a discussion with my husband about it who was quite convinced that a similar scene was in the books even though he couldn't remember exactly where.

He was also convinced that Tyrion had gone to whores in Winterfell, a scene also only in the show, afaik.

For the Jon talking about whores thing - Imho it's part of the problem of aging up the boys in the show. (not the same problem for Dany) They don't work the same way anymore in the show without their sweet naivety. I can believe 14 year old Jon/Robb being virgins and being very shy about the whole thing. For a 14 year old it's also realistic that he is idealistic enough to totally reject the whole idea of fathering a bastard since he doesn't know anything about sex. It's only ridiculous or at least contrived when 25ish Jon Show talks about his (embarrassing) experiences with whores and his reasoning for it.

She is in the books, she's the "red haired whore". She just isn't given a name in the books and is a more important character in the tv series. Season 2 has at least 1 character who isn't in the books and several that have been renamed.

I don't think we can claim that Ros is a character in the books just because one of the many whores encountered in the books has red hair.

I don't recall Robb being part of the story that Jon told to Sam. In any event, it was mostly the whole "I don't want to father a bastard" thing that I was thinking of when I said that it could plausibly happen in the books.

I believe Jon had a similar exchange with Ygritte in Storm about why he didn't want to sleep with her, and also the convo with BenJen in Game.

I don't recall Robb being part of the story that Jon told to Sam.

In any event, it was mostly the whole "I don't want to father a bastard" thing that I was thinking of when I said that it could plausibly happen in the books.

The issue I was addressing was the idea that Ros in the show was a good fit with the characters in the book. She isn't. ShowRobb may not have talked about using Ros in the show, but ShowJon does, and mentions her by name. And we see Theon literally banging her. That's two out of three using Ros, and I guess you could assume that she was either the only whore around Winterfell or just the most sought after one. In that instance I dont think ShowRobb would want to be the odd man out. (so gross!)

Like was said above, BookJon & BookRobb's youth an innocence are in part derived from their much younger ages than the ones of the actors playing these characters. I found the vulgarity and snickering worldliness kind of gross coming from ShowRobb in particular. Maybe because he was so innocent and naive in the book and that made him endearing. I sort of mourn that they found that too hard to adapt to the series, in a way. That may have been the first scene that struck a sour chord for me.

Edit:

Interestingly enough, that scene seems to have been stuck in the heads of quite a few people.

This is an odd phenomena, ... Phantom BookRos. Go away, ShowRos; BookRos doesnt exist.

I'm confused. Which scene are you referring to with the following?: "I found the vulgarity and snickering worldliness kind of gross coming from ShowRobb in particular. Maybe because he was so innocent and naive in the book and that made him endearing. I sort of mourn that they found that too hard to adapt to the series, in a way. That may have been the first scene that struck a sour chord for me."

I don't believe the King's Landing Butler dude was ever in the books. He doesn't get a name at all, but he's the guy that asks Ned to change for the small council meeting when he first arrives in King's Landing.

I'm confused. Which scene are you referring to with the following?: "I found the vulgarity and snickering worldliness kind of gross coming from ShowRobb in particular. Maybe because he was so innocent and naive in the book and that made him endearing. I sort of mourn that they found that too hard to adapt to the series, in a way. That may have been the first scene that struck a sour chord for me."

The women-bait scene of robb, theon & jon shirtless getting shaved...in a smokehouse(?).

They were joking about fucking in a lockerroom-y way. And I initially thought Robb told Theon that "Jon hasnt found a girl that he liked more than his hand" :( Robb just came off as smarmy, there.

I don't believe the King's Landing Butler dude was ever in the books. He doesn't get a name at all, but he's the guy that asks Ned to change for the small council meeting when he first arrives in King's Landing.

He's so out of place. He looks like he should be in an Airport! comedy. I keep waiting for him to say a double entandre or do an eyeroll or something.

Oh, I agree, I very much dislike Ros.

Agreed as well.

With the exception of introducing us to Tyrion earlier than the books did, she has had no real purpose. They did use her to give Theon a minute or 2 to talk about the Iron Islands, but who cares, she is useless.

The women-bait scene of robb, theon & jon shirtless getting shaved...in a smokehouse(?).

They were joking about fucking in a lockerroom-y way. And I initially thought Robb told Theon that "Jon hasnt found a girl that he liked more than his hand" :( Robb just came off as smarmy, there.

Um, that's weird. I didn't think they were really talking about girls at all. They teased Jon about how he didn't like girls as much as he liked his hair which was hilaaaarious and spoke to Jon's vanity more than anything. Only Theon was really talking filthy and well, that's Theon. Where was Robb being filthy about anything? I don't see it.

As for Jon/Robb/Sam being too young to still be a virgin or to be ashamed about sex, that's ridiculous. Their characters are only 17 turning 18 (and Daenerys is 16 turning 17). Seventeen is definitely not too young to be a virgin in any time period, and I know men who are over 20, some virgins some not, who still have deep, deep issues surrounding sex. Healthy/open attitudes about sex are rare now, and would be extremely rare back then. Such attitudes would be considered immoral and wrong. Triple that in Jon's case since he's got such issues surrounding his bastardy.

I think creating a whore-with-a-name in Ros will possibly serve as a stand-in for all the raping that goes on in the book, and which we will probably not see on screen, lest it spark controversy. As a replacement, we have the cheerful whore fucking every character in sight, to make the series look sufficiently bad-ass.

I don't think we can claim that Ros is a character in the books just because one of the many whores encountered in the books has red hair.

Before they gave her the name Ros her name was 'red whore' so it is likely a reference to that 'character'. I like how worked up people are getting about her, lol.

Um, that's weird. I didn't think they were really talking about girls at all. They teased Jon about how he didn't like girls as much as he liked his hair which was hilaaaarious and spoke to Jon's vanity more than anything. Only Theon was really talking filthy and well, that's Theon. Where was Robb being filthy about anything? I don't see it.

As for Jon/Robb/Sam being too young to still be a virgin or to be ashamed about sex, that's ridiculous. Their characters are only 17 turning 18 (and Daenerys is 16 turning 17). Seventeen is definitely not too young to be a virgin in any time period, and I know men who are over 20, some virgins some not, who still have deep, deep issues surrounding sex. Healthy/open attitudes about sex are rare now, and would be extremely rare back then. Such attitudes would be considered immoral and wrong. Triple that in Jon's case since he's got such issues surrounding his bastardy.

Did I say "fiithy"? Theyre acting like typical assholes in a lockerroom. I think it's more the demeanor than what theyre saying. Robb (Named after Ned's friend Robbert? I never thought of that...) says something like, 'I hear the prince is a right prick." Does BookRobb ever use a swear word in the books? It's an odd thing to start out with with his character. And even Theon... who the fuck wrote his line?: "Think of all the southern girls he gets to stab with that prick." Ouch, so clunky... like that scene. And where is BookJon ever shown as vain? I can see that said about that ActorJon, because, well,t his shirt off and is posing a bit, but BookJon?

And.. i have no idea what the second part of your post is about so it must not be directed at me...

I think creating a whore-with-a-name in Ros will possibly serve as a stand-in for all the raping that goes on in the book, and which we will probably not see on screen, lest it spark controversy. As a replacement, we have the cheerful whore fucking every character in sight, to make the series look sufficiently bad-ass.

That concept is supremely gross. But I can see them calculating this, in terms of the price of women's flesh = $. I wish there was a way to combat the evil that is Ros. Sorry, ActressRos.

Before they gave her the name Ros her name was 'red whore' so it is likely a reference to that 'character'. I like how worked up people are getting about her, lol.

Where was this 'red whore' mentioned in the book? Specifically.

Are you a guy? How would you like a random worthless-to-the-plot gay prostitute to show up randomly sucking up time & storyline, wagging his dick in the camera and literally sucking cock & reaming assholes as much as Ros is onscreen nude, sucking cock and sticking her fist up assholes?

With the exception of introducing us to Tyrion earlier than the books did, she has had no real purpose. They did use her to give Theon a minute or 2 to talk about the Iron Islands, but who cares, she is useless.

She serves a purpose, it's just a really clunky and annoying one. I didn't mind her when I first saw the scene with her and Tyrion, but then they just kept going back to her and even had other characters discussing her when she's not even onscreen. I think the writers originally only intended to use her as a way of introducing Tyrion, which makes sense since his first POV chapter is after Bran falls, so they needed him to do something in the first episode besides speak to Jon after the feast. But then for whatever reason they decided to expand the role, which is pretty silly to me as the cast is already huge and some scenes were cut short for hers. Also, most of her scenes are very clunky and kind of obviously only in there as a way of revealing backstory. I'm not a big fan of flashbacks, but I'd prefer that than more Ros scenes.

I think her worst scene is the one with her on the Turnip cart with Theon. When I first saw it, I thought "okay, why the hell did they include that in the show". Then it became apparent in the next episode that they included a mini scene with her and Theon just to explain why she's now in King's Landing working for Littlefinger. And that Littlefinger scene just goes on way too long and makes little sense. I'm not a big fan of flashbacks, but I'd prefer that than more Ros scenes.

I think her worst scene is the one with her on the Turnip cart with Theon. When I first saw it, I thought "okay, why the hell did they include that in the show". Then it became apparent in the next episode that they included a mini scene with her and Theon just to explain why she's now in King's Landing working for Littlefinger.

That's funny, because I thought it was her strongest scene in the sense of making her an actual character. We learn she is chasing the war, which strongly implies that she's being guided by some spymaster. When she works to ingratiate herself to LF, we have reason to now suspect it is NOT him, leaving Varys as the obvious choice. I find it hard to watch that scene and not conclude that she's not really in it for the few coins a shlump like Theon can send her way. Whoring is her cover, not her job. The coins are just a bonus.

Plus it made Theon a little more human. He actually seems to care for her.

That's funny, because I thought it was her strongest scene in the sense of making her an actual character. We learn she is chasing the war, which strongly implies that she's being guided by some spymaster. When she works to ingratiate herself to LF, we have reason to now suspect it is NOT him, leaving Varys as the obvious choice. I find it hard to watch that scene and not conclude that she's not really in it for the few coins a shlump like Theon can send her way. Whoring is her cover, not her job. The coins are just a bonus.

Plus it made Theon a little more human. He actually seems to care for her.

Interesting. I took the scene as just a way to get Ros from Winterfell to King's Landing so they could do the scene with Littlefinger, but Ros as a spy for Varys seems plausible. Varys does mention--in the show--that he has his "little birds" up north when explaining to Catelyn how he knew about the knife, so he could have learned that from Ros who probably heard about the knife from Theon. Her as a spy and making her a character could be better than just having her show up constantly so various male characters can explain their backstories and motivations during sex, but then again I would probably prefer if they just cut out the character entirely. My confidence level for the writers to make Ros an interesting or engaging character is not high, plus I would prefer if they just left out the character and used the time on stuff from the books.

Whoring is her cover, not her job.

Everyone seems to know she is a prostitute. Jon, Theon Robb...etc. So it is her job. And what would she gain from letting Theon or Jon fuck her, other than coin. If she's a spy, it's only in addition to being a whore.

Theon was just sorry to see the only pussy available in Winterfell leaving. Although he was smart enough to point out the hazards of fucking anyone for money.

There's no fucking debate on this. Her role is to be a piece of ass first, and then maybe whatever hokey undercover shit they try to pass her off as next. Go away, Ros.

Archived