Small Questions XII

Stubby

Here comes another one just like the other one.

In an effort to keep this one to 'small questions' please use the 'multiquote' function if you addressing numerous posts.

Also, if a question has been answered, it is unnecessary to answer it again.

Finally, feel free to direct boarders to existing threads on issues canvassed here.

The last unaddressed question from the previous thread was that posted by The Brooding Wolf:

Have the Greyjoys ever married into a house outside of Ironmen? Same for any other clan from around there. Harlaw, Blacktyde, you know.

How many "Strangers" has the Hound had? I've read a few people saying that the Stranger in AFFC is actually his third horse, but given how Stranger is "gentle as an old gelding" with Sandor, I assumed he'd had Stranger for years.

Sandor's horse wasn't described in the Hand's Tourney scenes in AGOT and I can't remember if he was described in ACOK. When he quit the Battle of the Blackwater, he said he'd lost a third of his men, and then said "Horse too." But I thought by "Horse too" he meant a third of the horse component of his command.

Would he have owned several horses? If his horse died while fighting the BBW, how did he get another one so quickly--and a fierce warhorse at that--after deserting the battle?

I'm about to begin the Dunk and Egg series and I'm curious whether the two characters are of any historical importance in Westeros? I gather "Dunk" is short for Duncan and "Egg" is short for Aegon, thus making him a Targaryan of some sort.

If you can try and answer who they are without giving away too much of the plot, it would be appreciated. If it can't be done, then fine.

I'm about to begin the Dunk and Egg series and I'm curious whether the two characters are of any historical importance in Westeros? I gather "Dunk" is short for Duncan and "Egg" is short for Aegon, thus making him a Targaryan of some sort.

If you can try and answer who they are without giving away too much of the plot, it would be appreciated. If it can't be done, then fine.

As far as I know, some of this will become clear during the series itself. Suffice to say, yes, they are important.

How many "Strangers" has the Hound had? I've read a few people saying that the Stranger in AFFC is actually his third horse, but given how Stranger is "gentle as an old gelding" with Sandor, I assumed he'd had Stranger for years.

Sandor's horse wasn't described in the Hand's Tourney scenes in AGOT and I can't remember if he was described in ACOK. When he quit the Battle of the Blackwater, he said he'd lost a third of his men, and then said "Horse too." But I thought by "Horse too" he meant a third of the horse component of his command.

Would he have owned several horses? If his horse died while fighting the BBW, how did he get another one so quickly--and a fierce warhorse at that--after deserting the battle?

I think this is the one and only. I remember just after the riot in ACOK he's talking about how he wants to go out and find his horse. Either Sandor gets attached to horses quickly, or he likes this one a whole lot.

Aint read them yet either but i know that egg is maester aamons bro and dunc is ser duncan the tall from old nan's stories. Blood raven the three eye crow is in there too and something catastrophic happens in a place called summer hall which is mentioned in an Arya pov.

Aegon is Maester Aemon's brother and Dany's great-grandfather. Dunk is Ser Duncan the Tall, Commander of the Kingsguard and possibly Hodor and Brienne's ancestor

In ACoK, in the scene where the red woman is burning the figures of the Seven from Dragonstone's sept, Davos mentions something about Aegon having prayed there before sailing (to Kings Landing?), and that the statues had been carved from the masts of the ships in which the Targaryens sailed from Valyria. So if the Seven came to Westeros with the Targaryens, what gods did the people of Westeros worship before that? The Old Gods? It seems a really brief time (300 years) for the worship of the Old Gods to have disappeared everywhere but in the North.

In ACoK, in the scene where the red woman is burning the figures of the Seven from Dragonstone's sept, Davos mentions something about Aegon having prayed there before sailing (to Kings Landing?), and that the statues had been carved from the masts of the ships in which the Targaryens sailed from Valyria. So if the Seven came to Westeros with the Targaryens, what gods did the people of Westeros worship before that? The Old Gods? It seems a really brief time (300 years) for the worship of the Old Gods to have disappeared everywhere but in the North.

The Andals brought the Seven to Westeros, not the Targaryens. The Valyrians had a polytheistic religion (Vhagar, Meraxes, and Balerion were three of their gods), but the Targaryens appear to have converted to the Seven some time before invading Westeros, if Davos is to be believed. Before the Andals brought the Seven, most people in Westeros worshiped the old gods (though the ironmen may already have been worshiping their Drowned God by then), which had been the religion of the children of the forest.

No, the Valyrians worshiped thier own gods. The Andals brought the Seven to Westeros, 1000s of years before the plot.

He might own more than one horse, it's not clear if he does.

When sneaking up on the Twins, he tells Arya how Donnell Haigh might have recognized Strager if he had seen him at a tourney (and he has unhorsed him more than once already). So either Stranger is not his tourney horse of choice, though personally I wouldn't expect him to ride a charger instead of a destrier at tournaments (he is fairly heavy, after all), and two destriers seem a bit unnecessary, or (what I believe) Stranger is new, maybe the replacement for that horse he seems to lose during the riots.

Due to Stranger's bad temper (useful for a warhorse, less so for a plain riding horse) it might be advisable to have at least one other; Sandor could certainly afford it.

In ASOS Tywin says Tyrion's awful marriage to Sansa can be put aside if it is unconsummated, by the High Septon or A Council of the Faith.

What is a Council of the Faith?

This is from the wiki of Ice & Fire:

The Faith is ruled by a council of the highest ranking clergy of the Faith called the Most Devout. The Most Devout are lead by the High Septon, an office elected by the Most Devout. Although the High Septon is usually elected from among the Most Devout, this is not a requirement as non members of the Most Devout have been raised to the office in the past.

Archived