Theon Greyjoy; Azor Ahai Reborn?

By the logic that Bran Stark is a candidate for being Azor Ahai, Theon Greyjoy is also a candidate. It is theorized that a dragon was awakened when Winterfell burnt to the ground, and who else was there when it burnt down? Theon. I'm not saying that it's true, or even that I believe it, but Theon is at the very least a better candidate for being AA than Bran. Bran wasn't reborn among smoke and salt nearly as much as Theon. (Twice). He became Reek after Winterfell was razed, and he became Theon again when he returned to Winterfell.

Just something for you all to consider.

Rickon is Azor Ahai reborn. When Winterfell was razed (smoke), everybody was crying for the little Starks (salt). Plus he's in Skagos (an island; salt again) and he will wake a dragon out of stone (Skagos means stone in the Old tongue).

Yes but I cant see a six year old welding a flaming sword and beating the others

Yea what about lightbringer? I've always thought it was daenerys but she doesn't have the sword either...yet.

By the way, is Lightbringer an explicit part of any prophecy about AA returning? While Mel equips Stannis with a red sword to make the parallel with AA more obvious, I don't remember reading that the AA reborn has to have a Lightbringer-thingy again, it just would be the icing on the cake... please correct me if I misremember.

In any case, even if I do misremember and Lightbringer is a necessity: If Dany is supposed to be AA, then her fire-spewing weapons (the dragons) are probably Lightbringerish enough to count (especially when you consider how Drogo went on the pyre that woke the dragons and that that was her third attempt to wake them - that mirrors the story of AA tempering the sword successfully only on the third attempt where it went into the heart of his wife).

I really struggle with the notion that crying counts for "salt" in these prophesies.

Valyria's volcano or Dragonstone are so much more logical.

I was thinking that Victarion is a decent candidate now that he's had his come-to-the-red-god moment and it was at least truly by salt (sea) and fire. He says, too, that his arm never felt stronger. Didn't he pass by Valyria much to his crew's dismay, as well? He's off to save Dany (she'll now have her fleet for her people to return to Westeros-- by the EASTERN route, BTW). He doesn't have a magical sword but he does have a boat that I can practically guarantee will eventually catch on fire. His "resurrection" could be his turning from the Drowned God officially and embracing R'hllgor (sp?).

It's a stretch, I know. Deep down I don't think he's AA, but it's as possible as Theon, or Davos, or...

Jaime is the hidden Targ, equivalent to Egg (Aegon the Unlikely) and is AA reborn.

He was reborn amidst smoke and salt when his hand was cut off; the major turning point in his life that sent him down the path of redemption. Upon his arrival at Harrenhal, he shared a hot steam bath (smoke) with Brienne (i.e. Dunk) and explained to her that Aerys (his father) had planned to burn King's Landing to the ground in defiance of the rebels. This redeemed him in her eyes, as she realized that Jaime was a "true knight", who had defended the weak (i.e. smallfolk) from the strong (i.e. Mad King Aerys). He then "shared bread and salt" with Roose Bolton afterwards, and was told that instead of being executed, he would finally be freed from captivity; a man reborn. His life and freedom were given back to him.

But what are we to make of "The Red Star bleeds"? Could that be a literal reference to the comet? I suppose. But I'd like to think the meaning isn't quite so obvious. If we are to read it in a cryptic sense, "the Red Star bleeds" could be in reference to the death of Oberyn Martell (i.e. the sigil of House Martell is a red star pierced by a yellow spear). When the Red Viper fell in combat to Gregor Clegane, Tyrion was condemned to death. This led to a series of events that would forever transform Jaime's life; he freed Tyrion from jail and told him the truth about Tysha, which led to their falling out. Tyrion then returned the favor by telling Jaime the truth about Cersei, which left him disillusioned with their relationship. And finally, Tyrion ultimately murdered his father, Tywin (just as Jaime had murdered his father, Aerys) and the family Jaime once knew was gone.

Lastly, "to wake dragons from stone" will come with the revelation that Jaime and Cersei are hidden Targaryens... i.e. to wake dragons (Targaryens) from stone (Casterly Rock). By then Jaime's transformation will be complete. At the same time, Bran will probably go down the opposite path and become a villain up there with Bloodraven and his White Walkers. So, in hindsight, people will say, "If only Jaime had killed Bran"... There's a lot of foreshadowing that Jaime will eventually be king, IMO. He's the one Ned Stark finds sitting on the throne when he entered the throne room at the conclusion of Robert's Rebellion, and when King Robert Baratheon traveled to Winterfell, Arya thinks to herself that Jaime should be king instead of Robert because he looks like a king. Plus, whenever offered power, Jaime always turns it down, which is what an ideal ruler is supposed to do (like Cincinnatus). Perhaps the term "Kingslayer" will have a larger meaning by the end, if Jaime ultimately abolishes the kingship and establishes a parliament or senate.

Hey, it might be a totally crackpot theory, but I've always thought Jaime will play a much larger role in the story than most people expect. And after recently reading the Dunk & Egg stories (which I hadn't gotten around to until now), I'm convinced Jaime and Brienne are analogous to Dunk & Egg. In their wanderings, Jaime shaves his head so he won't be noticed, and Brienne, who is of a similar size to Dunk, carries (or carried) Dunk's shield, and acts as Jaime's protector. Jaime even tells her she's "thick as a castle wall" on a number of occasions (most notably during their bath together after his hand was lopped off). In any case, I think they will factor in big to the overall storyline.

Yea what about lightbringer? I've always thought it was daenerys but she doesn't have the sword either...yet.

Oathkeeper = Lightbringer

it will be driven through Jaime Lannister's heart by Brienne, and then she will use it to kill Catelyn, and it will become lightbringer.

Like the story of Azor and Nissa Nissa.

First, Azor was trying to forge the sword of heroes, and when he was done thrust the sword into water and it broke. (Ned's sword was taken and broken in two.)

He tried again. Next Azor drove it into the heart of a lion and it broke. (Jaime is the lion of Lannister, and she'll have to kill him, driving it through his heart. Ice was reforged as Oathkeeper, but the oath is broken by Brienne.)

Lastly Azor drove the blade into his beloved wife Nissa-Nissa, and the blade became the Sword of Heroes. (Ned's sword reforged as Oathkeeper will somehow wind up slaying Catelyn Stark, the beloved wife of the original holder of the steel. Her "fire" or whatever will go into the sword fulfilling the prophecy.) Brienne is the warrior who pulls lightbringer from the fire.

oh yeah... and Stannis's people feed Theon and his Greyjoy king's blood into the red god's fires as a sacrifice... and Asha is powerless to stop it.

it will be driven through Jaime Lannister's heart by Brienne, and then she will use it to kill Catelyn, and it will become lightbringer.

First, Azor was trying to forge the sword of heroes, and when he was done thrust the sword into water and it broke. (Ned's sword was taken and broken in two.)

He tried again. Next Azor drove it into the heart of a lion and it broke. (Jaime is the lion of Lannister, and she'll have to kill him, driving it through his heart. Ice was reforged as Oathkeeper, but the oath is broken by Brienne.)

Lastly Azor drove the blade into his beloved wife Nissa-Nissa, and the blade became the Sword of Heroes. (Ned's sword reforged as Oathkeeper will somehow wind up slaying Catelyn Stark, the beloved wife of the original holder of the steel. Her "fire" or whatever will go into the sword fulfilling the prophecy.) Brienne is the warrior who pulls lightbringer from the fire.

oh yeah... and Stannis's people feed Theon and his Greyjoy king's blood into the red god's fires as a sacrifice... and Asha is powerless to stop it.

You are saying Brienne is AA? For real?

Tyrion attends AA meetings. Penny is his sponsor. (Winds of Winter plotline).

Theon's a pooper. He poops hisself. Jeyne shows him there's another way. "You could bathe like me. That way your scent wouldn't be so altogether asinine (AA)." The northern mountain men were just starting to take a shine to Theon, but then, from their point of view, he started putting on airs by bathing. (tWoW)

AA is Davos Seaworth.

Red star bleeding = that big ass red comet

Fire and salt = Everything was on fire, and then he fell into the sea

Reborn = All that talking with the gods he did on his little island

Waking the dragons from stone = ...Im sure he'll get around to that one

Lightbringer = He has to have a sword somewhere, and he even has people he loves to plunge the blade into if he has to

Not a perfect fit, but a better one than many. Even Im almost convinced! Wouldn't it be funny if the savior of the Red Faith is someone who doesn't even care for it? And with Davos' meteoric rise to power, going from Smuggler to Knight to Lord to God wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Vote Davos Seaworth for Azor Ahai!

I like your theory, but I doubt Brienne is AA. Although it would be totally awesome if she was, and she would be completely vindicated. Well, at least until someone else decides to laugh about her behind her back.

Ice was made into TWO swords. Joffrey was given one. Jaime the other (as I understand).

Breaking Oathkeeper shouldn't fulfill the prophesy (though I LOVE the creativity of the connections!).

The two swords will sooner or later be reuinted and Ice reforged into something else-- now THERE you might get the Ice and Fire connection and the real Lightbringer prophesy.

Brienne's "fire" being a steam bath is a bit of a stretch. I hope GRRM doesn't resort to that.

Theon's more plausible, but we need something more direct. He's been months away from the burning of Winterfell and while he's definitely someone else now (or schizophrenic thanks to Roose) it seems to me these things should happen pretty quickly in succession.

By the way, is Lightbringer an explicit part of any prophecy about AA returning? While Mel equips Stannis with a red sword to make the parallel with AA more obvious, I don't remember reading that the AA reborn has to have a Lightbringer-thingy again, it just would be the icing on the cake... please correct me if I misremember.

To paraphrase the prophecy (or at least that version of the prophecy), in a time of trouble and strife a warrior shall draw the sword from the flame and the sword will be called Lightbringer and by this he'll be known as AA.

Basically, I think all the business of smoke and salt and red stars etc. comes under the heading of signs and portents. As discussed all over the place there are any number of possible candidates who fit the smoke, salt etc. bits, but its only the drawing of the sword which will turn the "true" warrior into AA - complicated of course by the likelihood its a metaphorical rather than actual sword

Archived