EasterCon 2012: BwB Shenanigans (Attendance List first post)

Chaldanya

By posting here you have completed the arduous joining process. Congratulations and welcome to the BWB :cheers:

Eastercon takes place at the Radisson Hotel, Heathrow Airport, London, UK over the 2012 Easter weekend. Full details about the convention can be found on the website: http://olympus2012.org/index.php

I hope you'll be able to join us, it will be a great opportunity to hang out with George and many fellow GRRM fans.

OMG this is amazing! I hope that I'll be able to come.

Don't suppose we can get a group rate for one of the cheaper hotels? Don't think I can spring for the Radisson!

quirksome: The con itself may be organising group rates at the Radisson otherwise I'm not sure that enough BwBers would be going to negotiate this with a hotel near to the con site. (And getting a consensus on what hotel/how much to pay would be difficult and would necessitate someone standing guarantor for the rooms!) I do believe that there is a Premier Inn close by which would have rooms for approx £40 per night.

N

The Radisson is now officially full, so you'll have to stay off site anyway (or sleep on someone's floor, or in the video room, neither of which options I can publicly condone, of course).

The Radisson rate of £84/room/night quoted on the Eastercon website was the group rate: the usual rate is £118 and even the standard advance rate is £94. To my knowledge there are no con rates at any of the other nearby hotels. If you need a room share, there are options for getting one, including asking right here.

The Radisson is now officially full, so you'll have to stay off site anyway (or sleep on someone's floor, or in the video room, neither of which options I can publicly condone, of course).

The Radisson rate of £84/room/night quoted on the Eastercon website was the group rate: the usual rate is £118 and even the standard advance rate is £94. To my knowledge there are no con rates at any of the other nearby hotels. If you need a room share, there are options for getting one, including asking right here.

Ok - deepbreath - would any lady boarder be able to offer a room share for 6th or 8th? Tidy 27-year old accountant, don't snore, drink and/or murder axes.

Edit: of course would pay the going rate pp for the room. Please PM!

I just booked - Radisson Edwardian Heathrow still has a few rooms available.

Radisson website - advance non-refundable double rooms from £130.

Via telephone - 0800 37 44 11 - I was quoted like £190 not incl tax!

Also - Steph Swainston is quitting writing?! Alas poor lady...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...

I just bought a membership, booked flights and got a room at Skylark Guesthouse (on Bath Road, too).

I booked a room for two, so if someone is still looking for a not too expansive room (325 pounds for the 2-bed-room for 5 nights including breakfast) go on and ask. :)

I'll be staying from Thursday, April 5 until Tuesday, April 10. :D

By posting here you have completed the arduous joining process. Congratulations and welcome to the BWB :cheers:

Eastercon takes place at the Radisson Hotel, Heathrow Airport, London, UK over the 2012 Easter weekend. Full details about the convention can be found on the website: http://olympus2012.org/index.php

I hope you'll be able to join us, it will be a great opportunity to hang out with George and many fellow GRRM fans.

So, have I joined now? New(ish) here, and was wondering how many would attend EasterCon. It sounds great, I'm definitely going.

How do I volunteer to help? I don't have an awful lot of time on my hands at the mo, but would like to chip in if possible.

:cheers:

In terms of volunteering to help at Eastercon, the help required from now on will be at-con. Turn up to the convention and express willingness to help: things will be found for you to do, for there are always more things.

I just booked - Radisson Edwardian Heathrow still has a few rooms available.

Radisson website - advance non-refundable double rooms from £130.

Via telephone - 0800 37 44 11 - I was quoted like £190 not incl tax!

Also - Steph Swainston is quitting writing?! Alas poor lady...

I've just booked a room at the Radisson, £100/night + VAT. I'd tried yesterday and couldn't for some reason. Today I joined the 'club Carlson' or something before trying to book the room and no probs. It seems they still have plenty of rooms available...

I'll be there (hopefully). I'm not sure if I'll still be on my secondment or back at my old post at work. I'm rostered to be at work during this period under my official post's shift pattern, but I'd be off most of it under my secondment's roster. I'm booked up anyway.

Quirksome and I may room together on Saturday, if her friend is not in town. However, if anyone else (clean, tidy, female) has space on Friday and Saturday as a backup plan, please let me know. I can take a rollaway bed, if needed, and willing to pay cash or PayPal.

Hiya

I have a room booked from the 6th to the 9th but at the mo I'm still unsure whether a friend will be coming with or not. I can drop you a line as soon as I know, that way you may be able to confirm a backup plan.

I've never done a Con across the pond, so please let me know how best to get in touch with everyone...in the US, we tend to text message each other. However, I've heard that using a US cell phone anywhere other than the US and Canada is an invitation to a HUGE phone bill...so, if you have any hints, please let me know!!

Chats - I was over in November and used a cheap mobile, the sort you can buy just about anywhere (including Tesco's, the grocery store) with a number that's good for about three months. Calling and texting rates were cheap by Canadian standards. The only thing was letting people know the number, but if you collect enough mobile numbers by PM before you go, that's easy enough to do. :) (Pre-trip I swore I would never take up texting as I knew I'd become addicted very quickly; during my stay there I went over to the dark side.)

I will be there. Friday, or Friday and Saturday, not sure at this point.

I've never done a Con across the pond, so please let me know how best to get in touch with everyone...in the US, we tend to text message each other. However, I've heard that using a US cell phone anywhere other than the US and Canada is an invitation to a HUGE phone bill...so, if you have any hints, please let me know!!

Quirksome and I may room together on Saturday, if her friend is not in town. However, if anyone else (clean, tidy, female) has space on Friday and Saturday as a backup plan, please let me know. I can take a rollaway bed, if needed, and willing to pay cash or PayPal.

If you unlock your phone (you normally have to contact your provider before you leave), you can buy a new sim card for it on a Pay as you go system. for about £5. Or oyu can get a cheep mobile for about £20-£30 which allready has a sim.

I may even have an old mobile you can use If I can find the charger It should still work, just needs some credit. - I'll let you know

is anyone going to be around on Thursday? We'll need to book flights and room soon, so I'm wondering what day it's best to arrive.

MCGeek and I will be there from Thursday evening (but we'll be helping set up, or at least he definitely will and I will chip in after I get back from fencing with whatever's left at gone 11pm). If you want to arrive on Friday, bear in mind the following:

• Programming will start either at 10am or 12noon
  • The formal opening ceremony is highly likely to be at either 4pm, 5pm or 6pm, if opening ceremonies are your thing (they aren't mine)
  • The hotel's official check in time is 2pm, but there are likely to be very large queues at this point for all the other people turning up on Friday, and based on last time's reception mistakes if you get to the desk at 2.15 you are unlikely to get into your room before 3.30. Best to get in touch with a friend who checked in on Thursday so you have somewhere to dump luggage, assuming you have luggage.

Us PMing you with our phone numbers for future texting is probably the best bet, given that at this stage your UK mobile number is unknown. Pebble and Angalin have good advice on how to get said UK phone number without breaking the bank.

Best take a rollaway bed that fits into a suitcase, if that becomes necessary, so you can sneak it into the hotel. The con members won't care but the hotel receptionists might.

LOL - what I meant was "I can sleep on a [hotel] rollaway bed..." There's no way to sneak rollaway bed into a hotel room, much less on a plane! :) It's about the size of a twin bed, folded up. In the US, hotels charge about $20 for a rollaway bed.

Ohhhhh. :P Take into the hotel versus can manage to sleep on. I don't know how many folding beds will be left in the hotel after the con's got through with them - it's worth a check, I guess!

Ice ive got a spare bed in the ibis. If youve booked, or are looking for greater comfort then np, the spare bed is open for anyone else willing to cough up half (£55 roughly). Its booked friday night- monday morning

Archived