How to kill a knight in full plate armour?

The Red Lion

Well, yes once you get into range, no armor is going to protect you from an arquebus shot, except if it misses.

There's a reason full plate and chainmail disappeared from the battlefield in early modern times. ;)

Although admittingly political changes were part of that reason as well.

Chainmail is indeed much more labour intensive to make then Plate. All those rings you have to forge and combine...

Ultimately though both chainmail and plate weren't up to scratch when arquebuses were issued among the infantry on the field. But al least the plate breatplate went on in service amongst the Polish Hussars and French Cuirassiers.

Male equivalent of needlework and doubtless paid better :bang:

Yes, definetly paid better, make a mail hauberk sell it and you are richer then 90% of people in medievel times. Good work, but hard and you have to know what you are doing.

You don't need to break the armour to break the man - blunt trauma (eg, mace, hammer, anything else used with enough force) will break bones and liquify organs through plate. Concussion from headshots. That's why you wear padding underneath. That, and stabby stabby knives through eyeslits, across throats, into armpits, groin, back of knees, and other joints and vulnerable areas....

/ medieval re-enactor, not an expert, but been battered enough to believe the history

ETA: 1942 guide to vulnerable areas, for your information

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/allinfighting.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I think the major factor in the myth is the Whiggish historical trend in vogue at the time (and which still isn't fully dead) that from the fall of Rome onwards history represents a straight line of unalloyed progress in every respect.

I agree with that - I still find it baffling that ancient Rome's secret of making concrete was lost for hundreds of years.

Reading this thread has really made me think about fighting in plate armor. A one on one fight in plate would be a lot like a boxing match. I imagine their would be a huge amount of blows landed until damage was actually done, The fighters must have been ridiculously strong and fit. But I suppose they would have trained in the armor everyday.

The tactics/ weapons etc used by each knight must have depended on their own physical attributes.

In fact fuck boxing and the ufc I wanna see the world heavy weight plate armor championship (needs a catchier name)

Ser Gregor Clegane: Pah, I'll step on this mewling kitten's face and shift my weight slightly and then I can go home and eat a sandwich.

Sweetrobin Arryn: I say *sickly cough, spews up some phlegm*, I am a rather sickly child, might you be a good sport old Greg, and just take of that ridunculously heavy armour?

Ser Gregor Clegane: No. Wanna tissue?

Sweetrobin Arryn: No.

Ser Gregor Clegane: Good. Well. I'm gonna kill you now.

Sweetrobin Arryn: Hey Greg! GREG! Look! A raccoon!

Ser Gregor Clegane: I FU***** HATE RACCOONS

Sweetrobin Arryn: Quickly now, squire. Sansa, woman- bring Sweetrobin his Sweetbazooka.

Sansa Stark: My name is Alayne Stone.

Sweetrobin Arryn: Haha, as if you're an interesting POV character and I value your opinion, now hurry!

Ser Gregor Clegane: Hey, I didn't see no raccoon. But if I had. It woulda been deaded. Like THAT.

*Sansa returns and hands Sweetrobin a package*

Sweetrobin Arryn: Come at meh, Greg.

Ser Gregor Clegane: ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*Sweetrobin fires his mighty Sweetbazooka*

Ser Gregor Clegane: Oh HAMBURGERS

*fiery explosion violently engulfs Gregor Clegane, and no more is seen of him.*

Sweetrobin Arryn: Requiescat in Pace.

AND THAT IS HOW YOU DEAL WITH HEAVY PLATE. I HOPE IT WAS ENJOYABLE. HODOR. THAT IS ALL.

Archived