Qyburn and his prisioners

khaleesiStormborn

I need help understanding what it is that Qyburn is doing to theese women in the dungeons! I remember in Cersei's chapter she was thinking of 'Senelle down there' and then something about 'puppets'. Now F****e is down there (I dont want to spoil anything so I wont put the whole name) Are they just prisioners or did I miss something more important. What does 'puppet' mean?

Having recently finished AFfC, I have to chalk this one up as another loose thread. Unless we both missed something, it's not explained. I'm only a couple of chapters into DwD, but if it gets explained there, it will be toward the end where the stories merge back together.

I think Qyburn was referred to as a necromancer at some point earlier on, but this seems to be something else. I'm pretty much chalking it up as a Josef Mengele kind of situation for now.

I need help understanding what it is that Qyburn is doing to theese women in the dungeons! I remember in Cersei's chapter she was thinking of 'Senelle down there' and then something about 'puppets'. Now F****e is down there (I dont want to spoil anything so I wont put the whole name) Are they just prisioners or did I miss something more important. What does 'puppet' mean?

Think Doctor Frankenstein.

I think it was mentioned somewhere in AFOC and earlier than Qyburn had his chain removed for dabbling in necromancy.

Haven't finished the book yet (thanks for the spoiler tags guys) but I remember a quote (paraphrasing) where Qyburn said, Maester's study the dead to learn about life, whereas he studies the living to learn about death.

In other words, he's performing "medical" experiments on the living prisoners to learn more about death and the (I guess) "dark arts."

I have a feeling this will tie into the Wights/Others action going on in the north

this is all just guesswork.....and im only at page 691

but i think he is using all the pieces of people that are alive to put the mountain back together in some stronger fashion......thats why it was just a "skull" they sent to dorne

thats why you never hear of his body being disposed of

thats why he is having cerseis armorer make a plate suit so heavy nobody should be able to wear it

thats why it was told he dealt in necromancy

thats why he keeps recieving people that are alive, but never leave, they are being used for parts

but anyway, thats just what i think

Haven't finished the book yet (thanks for the spoiler tags guys) but I remember a quote (paraphrasing) where Qyburn said, Maester's study the dead to learn about life, whereas he studies the living to learn about death.

In other words, he's performing "medical" experiments on the living prisoners to learn more about death and the (I guess) "dark arts."

I have a feeling this will tie into the Wights/Others action going on in the north

I get the same feeling ;).

But that is something we will probably discover in the final book.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I want to know what he's doing with them... and why the women? If he's making a Frankenstein Mountain, wouldn't male parts be better/bigger/stronger?

Just the parts on the outside :drunk:

Maybe he's making more things like Robert Strong, maybe female versions who knows?

And why name him Robert anyway?

Ha, maybe Robert is Qyburn's first name and if he is Robert's 'father' he named his son after him :stillsick: ? Your post makes me think about the names of the maesters. Is Qyburn a first name, or Coleman, or Cressen? Maester Aemon used his first name, that we know.

Maybe he's making more things like Robert Strong, maybe female versions who knows?

And why name him Robert anyway?

I think him having King Robert's name is supposed to symbolize his status as Cersei's "protector." Cersei being defended by a heroic champion with the name of her deceased husband gives her case an uneasy sense of credibility, in the same way that "Renly's ghost" coming back to fight for Joffrey did. The ignorant masses will find it poetic, and that will help Cersei's case... Well, it's perhaps a futile gesture after the nude parade, but still.

Of course, the fact that Robert was a drunk, whoring, abusive tool, and Strong is Gregor Clegane's reanimated corpse -- likely with bits and pieces of other "prisoners" sewn on for good measure -- adds a hint (just a little hint...) of irony to the whole "noble husband/champion" angle. :P

• 1 month later...

Hasn't someone said in one of the books (I think it was AFFC) saying that women and only women had the power to bring forth life

That was it in the House of Black and White

the kindly old man told Arya that there weren't many female servants of the Many faced God as it was their job to bring forth life

Archived