Are Reek & Ramsay really cut?

Bastard of Balmora

I can safely say you are wrong. D&D have been very faithful to the series so far. They are not going to suddenly diverge hugely after S2. They have as much as said that themselves.

GRRM has more than 3 years to write tWoW (with some chapters already written that were excised from aDwD). More importantly, D&D and GRRM can actually talk to each other. They are already aware of some of the big secrets in aSoIaF. They saw aDwD a lot earlier than us. I'm sure they'll see tWoW a lot earlier than us also. So they don't have to worry about material for 6 seasons at least. There may be an issue subsequently but if we get to 7 seasons, who is going to worry that much?

Turning aFfC and aDwD into TV will be challenging (and there almost certainly will be more stuff cut from those potential seasons) but you can't say not much happens. That's just silly. And just because Ramsay doesn't appear in S2, it doesn't mean he is cut forever. Roose didn't appear in S1 and yet here he is in S2. People shouldn't worry so much.

Not really. Reek's involvement can easily be replaced by one of Theon's Ironmen. The only serious issue is with how they wrap up S2 but that's just one scene. Sure, i'd like to see Ramsay in S2 but given how massive S2 already is, I can see why they'd have to cut some material.

I sort of understand what you're saying, but Roose barely has a role in book 1. Sure he is there at moat cailin and he leads the host against Lord Tywin, but his role was easily replaced (by no one actually)

If you cut Ramsay and give his role to another Ironman it is really going to take a lot away... Especially that last scene when he shows up in armor and everything

It also is when you REALLY start thinking damn, these Bolton's are terrrible, terrible people... You already feel unsure about them with Arya's interaction with Roose, but when Ramsay pulls that you know a new enemy is introduced

If you cut Ramsay and give his role to another Ironman it is really going to take a lot away... Especially that last scene when he shows up in armor and everything

I am curious to see what they'll do with the ending alright but then, i'm not saying that removing Ramsay is a small thing. I am saying that it doesn't "ruin the series" and Theon can still end up in the exact same place with or without a visible Ramsay in S2.

I doubt Ramsay is cut. I'm fairly certain Theon's CoK arc is going to get cut in two with half of it saved for Season 3. I think we'll get introduced to a character named "Reek" very early in S3.

that would be disappointing for me... that leaves Bran with very little to do (even less than in the book because i doubt they will include wolf dreams) and it means it will be even harder to do A Storm of Swords with all thats happening else where...

Plus it would differ Robb's season 3 arc because he is supposed to be a king that has lost his kingdom and has won all the battles, but losing the war.

that leaves Bran with very little to do and it means it will be even harder to do A Storm of Swords with all thats happening else where...

Plus it would differ Robb's season 3 arc because he is supposed to be a king that has lost his kingdom and has won all the battles, but losing the war.

Even D&D have said that aSoS will take more than 1 season, so adding some aCoK to S3 wouldn't make much of a difference to that. Given how much they have to cover in S2, it may only help them film S2.

Not that i'm 100% behind the Reek in S3 idea. Either way we are going to see most of Bran's arc in S2. But it is possible that they'll delay the end of Theon's arc till S3 (post Bran basically) and introduce Reek in a very different way then.

Robb's position wouldn't really change either. Bran will still be gone by the close of season 2.

that would be disappointing for me... that leaves Bran with very little to do (even less than in the book because i doubt they will include wolf dreams) and it means it will be even harder to do A Storm of Swords with all thats happening else where...

Well Bran really doesn't have much to do anyway. He has what 4 chapters in SoS and 3 in Dance? That's going to be around 7 chapters of material to spread out over what's likely 3 seasons if Season 3 and 4 are SoS and 5 is Feast/Dance.

I expect them to end Bran's S2 arc with him and Rickon "killed" offscreen. That would allow them to use some CoK scenes in Season 3 and possibly introduce The Reeds. Either way though, they are going to have to write alot of new material for Bran's story unless you want Bran to only be in 3-4 episodes each season.

Either way though, they are going to have to write alot of new material for Bran's story unless you want Bran to only be in 3-4 episodes each season.

I'm guessing we'll see little of Bran after S2 like in the books. Pity but they have so many other things to cover.

Reek S3 just doesn't work.

We know that Jaime escapes in S2.

Catelyn doesnt' release Jaime until she "knows" her sons are dead and her only remaining child is Sansa. Why on earth would Cat release Jaime if Reek has not "killed" her sons, or even appeared?

I think it's more likely that Ramsey and Roose are merged into a single character, and Roose is the one that disguises himself as Reek, screws with Theon, and murders the miller's sons. This would fit with the other rumor that Arya is Tywin's cupbearer instead of Roose's.

ETA: it's also possible that Ramsey is not involved in Theon's arc as "Reek," and someone else kills the miller's sons. Then Ramsey appears in his official capacity in S3 and burns Winterfell/captures Theon.

Most likely one of the Ironborn persuades Theon to kill the miller boys. Possibly somebody like Dagmer. Maybe even Asha. Or Theon just comes up with the idea himself.

Ramsay probably gets talked about in S2 or early S3. His capture and the real Reek's death probably happens offscreen early in S3. Then later that episode we get introduced to "Reek" and S3 plays out from there.

ETA: it's also possible that Ramsey is not involved in Theon's arc as "Reek," and someone else kills the miller's sons. Then Ramsey appears in his official capacity in S3 and burns Winterfell/captures Theon.

This is exactly what people mean by having Reek appearing in S3 instead of S2.

So Bran and Rickon are still dead before the end of S2 to pave the way for Catelyn's actions. The rumours involving Arya and Tywin, have Robb with Roose, so he wouldn't be running around the North also. It wouldn't make sense anyhow, since he has to get south again to meet Jaime and help with the RW.

Reek S3 just doesn't work.

We know that Jaime escapes in S2.

Catelyn doesnt' release Jaime until she "knows" her sons are dead and her only remaining child is Sansa. Why on earth would Cat release Jaime if Reek has not "killed" her sons, or even appeared?

I think it's more likely that Ramsey and Roose are merged into a single character, and Roose is the one that disguises himself as Reek, screws with Theon, and murders the miller's sons. This would fit with the other rumor that Arya is Tywin's cupbearer instead of Roose's.

jaime escapes is different from jaime is released. we've already seen that hbo is not afraid to alter the story where they think it will suit them. like killing off characters who will have a role in later books.

Jamie escaping, rather than being released, is not happening. It could be that he is released by Cat before she finds out about Bran and Rickon. Her motivation would be much weaker, but it is possible they would go that route if they felt they needed to.

I just don't like it, as it is the big event that occurs in S2 (outside of the Battle for Blackwater). I guess I can live with it though, if that means that Reek/Ramsey are not being cut and the sacking of Winterfel is just being moved to S3. It does leave Bran's part in S2 extremely light.

Any one else think that the characters of Ramsay and Roose might be combined? I know the whole father-son dynamic of the two villains works brilliantly in the books, but for the TV show, it might be easier to just merge the two together to avoid having hundreds of named characters. would it work?

Any one else think that the characters of Ramsay and Roose might be combined?

No. Both are in totally different locations, doing different things.

Jamie escaping, rather than being released, is not happening. It could be that he is released by Cat before she finds out about Bran and Rickon. Her motivation would be much weaker, but it is possible they would go that route if they felt they needed to.

I just don't like it, as it is the big event that occurs in S2 (outside of the Battle for Blackwater). I guess I can live with it though, if that means that Reek/Ramsey are not being cut and the sacking of Winterfel is just being moved to S3. It does leave Bran's part in S2 extremely light.

I think we can safely say that Jaime is going to be released. Fundamental part of the series. And I am confident that Cat will know about Bran and Rickon before hand. If Bran and Rickon don't make their escape attempt, that whole Theon arc goes nowhere in S2. I wouldn't be surprised if they go right to the end of aCoK but they are going to at least show their attempted escape.

• 2 months later...

Alright, so first, almost everyone can be cut, Ramsey of course is no exception .... he is not one of the kings, not one of the Starks, Lannisters or Targaryens... those are about all the essential characters. All the rest, can be taken out, rewritten, merged, divided, whatever the directors want, and think will appease the public :). For example, most of the ironborn have been cast.... is there anyone outhere who likes the story arc of the Iron Islands??? Hell no, some like Asha, some like Victarion, there are nice scenes.... for us it was the perfect place to cut for the TV show.... For them, exactly the opposite. Why? Simple.... in the first season, all the TV non-reader viewers, loved the dothraki and Drogo... now they are gone, they need to be replaced, and the vikings in the west are perfect!!! I am sure they will be loved, more and more by the TV audiance...

Now, I hope they producers are wise enough to keep the Boltons. Why? because they are actually perfect for the show. Everyone loves to hate Gleeson's Joffrey, a good story needs good villains, and the Boltons are perfect!!! We don't really talk about this, but Ramsay and Roose have great stories of their own, evil all the way, but extremly well written, with a lot of twists and turns. Hell there is a troll audiance outthere who would like them to win in the end , hehe :)

I read the first 4 books of ASOIAF and thought it cant get better, then i read the Reek chapters. Whoa! I mean... Whoa! Lol The Reek & Ramsay relation is prob the best part of ASOIAF, if AGOT does not include it, than im afraid it will just be A song of Renly and Lores

A couple things to take into account:

1. "Reek" doesn't do a whole lot in ACoK, or much to really make an actor want to play him. Once we get into ADwD though, he's one of the series' vilest villains, a role the producers will want to relish and get a wonderful actor for the audience to love to hate, in lieu of the deceased Joffrey. So saving him could be tied into wanting to wait on one of the biggest future aces, up there with the Red Wedding.

2. One of the biggest differences between show and book is that the books can have a character disappear, like Jaime in S2, while the show can't just get rid of one of its lead actors for a season or two. And of course, Theon's basically absent for S3 so they're going to want something to give to Alfie Allen, who I'm sure will be getting much juicy material in S2.

The reason I'm saying this is because I think S3/4, for Theon, could be a "bridge" between his ACoK material and his ADwD material, introducing him to Ramsay, torture stuff, etc.

it's also possible that Ramsey is not involved in Theon's arc as "Reek," and someone else kills the miller's sons. Then Ramsey appears in his official capacity in S3 and burns Winterfell/captures Theon.

That is what I think will happen, although I can see the burning Winterfell done in the S2 but with its leader's face obscured.

Archived