Eleven Eleven: November reads

Ormond

Finished God's War by Kameron Hurley about a week ago. It was very enjoyable, kind of cross of sci-fi and fantasy - really interesting stuff with a ragtag group that are all less than perfect.

Today I finished The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding, and it was fantastic. It's also a "kind of cross of sci-fi and fantasy - really interesting stuff with a ragtag group that are all less than perfect" but much less brutal and graphic than God's War. It has some wonderful character growth (especially the enigmatic Silo) and progression from the first two books; there's also some really good world building in this one. I can't wait to see where it goes next

but civil war in Vardia with Samarla backing the Awakeners seems inevitable. Frey and his gang sure know how to stir up some shit!

I really wish the next book was available now!

Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick was a very good debut. Recommended!

I just started that today.

I picked up Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn. It is YA but I am really liking it.

Glad you like it (I did too) but Summers at Castle Auburn doesn't seem to have been designated as "YA" by the publisher. It's not listed as such in the WorldCat library records and is not listed as Young Adult in the "Locus" Index to Science Fiction and Fantasy. So I think it's considered adult in spite of its young narrator.

Glad you like it (I did too) but Summers at Castle Auburn doesn't seem to have been designated as "YA" by the publisher. It's not listed as such in the WorldCat library records and is not listed as Young Adult in the "Locus" Index to Science Fiction and Fantasy. So I think it's considered adult in spite of its young narrator.

It was in the YA - Teen section of my library with a big YA sticker on it. Didn't stop this 38 year old from reading it though.

Inspired by a discussion by some of you a few weeks ago, I picked up Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. So many of you were reading it, that I thought it was a new release - not over ten years old! I'm not quite sure how I feel. it kept me interested sure, but there were a lot of aspects of the worldbuilding, from the way the mission was set up to the alien physiology - that took me right out of the story. I had a hard time suspending disbelief. I'm not entirely certain the character development was all there either. That said, I was sort of fascinated by the alien society. Should I read the sequel?

Inspired by a discussion by some of you a few weeks ago, I picked up Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow. So many of you were reading it, that I thought it was a new release - not over ten years old! I'm not quite sure how I feel. it kept me interested sure, but there were a lot of aspects of the worldbuilding, from the way the mission was set up to the alien physiology - that took me right out of the story. I had a hard time suspending disbelief. I'm not entirely certain the character development was all there either. That said, I was sort of fascinated by the alien society. Should I read the sequel?

I loved The Sparrow and have students read it in my Psychology & Religion class. I also liked Children of God, but didn't think it was as good as The Sparrow, primarily because I thought the way Russell got her main character back to her alien world was a bit hard to believe. Given how you feel about the first book, I'd advise you to borrow Children of God from a library so you won't feel upset if you start to read it and then dislike it.

Haven't read it myself, but China Mieville slammed it good in a long rant at the WorldCon is Glasgow. It seems to surface every now and then and I mean to pick it up, but never get around to it. Thanks for reminding me to put it on the "to buy" list on Amazon. :)

Well, it would be a library lend, but my time is valuable too. So I'll probably spend it instead on Mr. Mieville's (or Mr. Abraham's) next book :)

ETA: f -> n typo changes meaning of phrase.

Archived