MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

So it's time to shut up about the stupid Cardinals. Let's talk offseason. I guess that means let's talk about where Pujols and Prince are gunna end up. Or not. Instead I wanna talk about the fact that Frank McCourt has finally agreed to sell the Dodgers!!!!! This means I can finally go back to my beloved Chavez Ravine! I'm not sure which of the potential buyers I would like to see own the Dodgers (Garvey/Hershiser, Cuban, Peter O'Malley), but I do know that who ever it is shouldn't have to much trouble doing a better job than McCourt.

Epstein says that Francona is a top option for being the new Cubs manager and apparently the two already have talked. Good for him I hope he does get the job and they bring the Cubs a championship, just to stick it to Red Sox ownership. It was definitely time for Francona to go, but the hatchet job they put out on him was pathetic.

I really hope Cuban gets the Dodgers. And from what I hear the sale comes with the land where the new NFL stadium is going to be built, so maybe he can get in on that action as well. Is he rich enough to own 3 teams though?

I bet Pujols stays and Prince will either be a Ranger or a Cub.

Epstein says that Francona is a top option for being the new Cubs manager and apparently the two already have talked. Good for him I hope he does get the job and they bring the Cubs a championship, just to stick it to Red Sox ownership. It was definitely time for Francona to go, but the hatchet job they put out on him was pathetic.

I heard they're looking at Mike Maddux as well.

I really hope Cuban gets the Dodgers. And from what I hear the sale comes with the land where the new NFL stadium is going to be built, so maybe he can get in on that action as well. Is he rich enough to own 3 teams though?

Yeah, Cuban is the type of owner who'll do what it takes to win. I really like that, especially in a Dodger owner :). Orel is my favorite baseball player ever, and a true blue Dodger, so I'd also love to see him with an ownership stake. And of coarse O'Malley is an O'Malley. Hard for me to choose who I want most. Though if pressed I'd probably say Cuban, just for his willingness to spend the money to win.

I do wonder to what extent the old boy's club will and would be able to resist Cuban if he goes for it.

Cuban has gone for it. With both the Cubs, and the Rangers... They will not take his money, which is a shame because he is my favorite sports franchise owner.

A little story about Mark Cuban... I worked in American Airlines Center for the first five years that it existed. For a very brief period of time, I ran the crews that changed the arena over from hockey to basketball. I was helping a crew push risers in place, and they were a little undermanned at the time, and everyone was grunting pretty hard to move this particular piece when Mark Cuban walked around the corner. I looked at him and shouted

"Can't ya see these guys need some help? What's the matter with you?"

He took off his jacket and helped the guys push as I went behind him telling him that I was only joking, he didn't have to do anything, and that I sucked...

After the piece was in place, He shook my hand and introduced himself to me, and I told him my name.

From that day forward, any time I saw him, he would go out of his way to come over and greet me by name, or often just yell across the arena at me and tell me that I sucked. He is by far the coolest billionaire that I have ever met.

Well I'd just like to thank the Red Sox for deciding that they really wanted Theo to go a year early. It's about damn time the Cubs were set up to be run like a major league franchise should be ruin: With baseball people doing baseball jobs. With guys young enough to know that there is tecnology out there that will help them do their jobs, but who are still smart enough to know that there needs to be a balance between the old ways and the new ways. It isn't going to happen overnight and it might not happen for a few years still, but the process has actually begun.

I"m not sorry that Quade had to go, but I'm just disappointed that it didn't work out for him.

I'm every bit as excited and relieved that Theo came right out and said what he wanted in a manager and that those qualifications would eliminate Ryne Sandberg from the choices (and how cool that Theo called him to personally let him know that he wasn't going to be a candidate). Ryno will get there and I look forward to the day he does manage the Cubs, but I don't want his first gig at the big league level to be the Cubs.

I love the Joe Maddon rumor I heard tonight and so wish it could be true.

I love Wrigley Field, but I wouldn't mind seeing it razed to the ground. Re-build from scratch. I'd love to see them just rebuild Wrigley, but bigger, more modern and be everything a modern ballpark should be. It isn't impossible to make a new stadium look like Old Wrigley, but be completely new. And a Jumbotron? Why the hell not. They can do these amazing things with fiber optics and screens and all of that that the jumbotron could certainly look like the old mechanical board...

Is it Spring Training yet?

Cuban has gone for it. With both the Cubs, and the Rangers... They will not take his money, which is a shame because he is my favorite sports franchise owner.

If its a bankruptcy auction though and Cuban is the highest bidder and MLB tries to refuse him again, I suspect McCourt will sue MLB all over again and drag this out another couple years; not the outcome Selig wants. And with the courts already so heavily involved in this entire affair I think there's probably too much scrutiny for MLB to get up to its usual tricks to prevent Cuban from buying if he wants.

On the other hand Cuban has said he won't go over $1 billion and that's apparently what McCourt wants. Seems high to me but I guess the other attached assets that come with it might make it worth that might.

A little story about Mark Cuban... I worked in American Airlines Center for the first five years that it existed. For a very brief period of time, I ran the crews that changed the arena over from hockey to basketball. I was helping a crew push risers in place, and they were a little undermanned at the time, and everyone was grunting pretty hard to move this particular piece when Mark Cuban walked around the corner. I looked at him and shouted

"Can't ya see these guys need some help? What's the matter with you?"

He took off his jacket and helped the guys push as I went behind him telling him that I was only joking, he didn't have to do anything, and that I sucked...

After the piece was in place, He shook my hand and introduced himself to me, and I told him my name.

From that day forward, any time I saw him, he would go out of his way to come over and greet me by name, or often just yell across the arena at me and tell me that I sucked. He is by far the coolest billionaire that I have ever met.

Cool story, Bro. Sincerely.

Please. You've got Ryne Sandberg... :P

I love hearing people talk about him and still call him "ry-yun". Really, can't the guy get a little respect? We can say Krzyzewski and Favre, but Ryne gets mugged each time?

Didn't they also come out and say they wanted someone with major league experience or something, effectively making him a no-go?

Is this allowed?

not really...but since it's only a baseball thread...

I know you're all sick of Cardinal talk, but I wanted to pop in to mention the passing of Bob Forsch. He was one of my favorite ballplayers of all time. I was lucky enough to see him pitch in the '82 NLCS (a gem against the Braves), '82 World Series (he got trounced in that game), and insanely lucky to have a front row seat for a seemingly meaningless late September '83 start against the Expos. Forsch hurled his second career no hitter that night. Freaking brilliant.

Plus, he was the quickest SASE reply to the dozens of autograph requests I sent to players during my baseball card collecting days.

Not the best pitcher ever, but a workhorse that any club these days would kill to have pop up in the rotation.

Rest in peace, Bob.

Jonathan Sanchez for Melky Cabrera

This is like the game of Go Fish where Brian Sabean randomly and pointlessly decides he doesn't want to collect all the Sanchezes; he'd rather have the Cabreras (the ones who aren't good).

Meh. I'll miss you, Jonny, despite all the walks. I'll always remember your no-no.

....someone please remind me why we need a CF who is probably not actually good except in one fluke year and who is kind of awful at defense. Didn't we just DFA Rowand, who is all of that except slightly better at defense? Ugh. Sabes, I hate you.

On second thought, maybe I'm stuck in 2010, back when Melky represented half of the laughably bad players that one GM can pick up in the offseason. Maybe "weightlifting" really did do Melky some good and he's for real.

But probably not. I'm not any less annoyed than I was 9 minutes ago.

I love hearing people talk about him and still call him "ry-yun". Really, can't the guy get a little respect? We can say Krzyzewski and Favre, but Ryne gets mugged each time?

Didn't they also come out and say they wanted someone with major league experience or something, effectively making him a no-go?

Theo called Sandberg, apparently before the firing of Quade was released, to personally say he wasn't going to be considered at this time for the Cubs top manager spot.

Latest rumor today was that if the Cubs hired the Phillies bench coach, Ryno was on the short list to join Charlie Manuel as the new Phillies bench coach,,,

....someone please remind me why we need a CF who is probably not actually good except in one fluke year and who is kind of awful at defense. Didn't we just DFA Rowand, who is all of that except slightly better at defense? Ugh. Sabes, I hate you.

On the bright side, Melky's gonna cost you a heck of a lot less than Rowand.

On the not-so-bright side, Rowand is still costing you in 2012.

Back to the bright side: at least your team had a GM for the last month. Although if I'm getting technical, the O's didn't have a GM before that either because they called him the president of baseball operations. The new guy we have hired, also a GM-analogue, is going to be the executive vice president of baseball operations. Sometimes I hate Peter Angelos.

And don't we have a supposed franchise CF coming up from AAA? I don't understand this at all. Sanchez was maddening, but he was still a damn good option for the 5th spot in the rotation when healthy. I spose this means we get to see Zito once a week? That will be fun.

Archived