MLB: Offseason Sweepstakes Edition

Myshkin

So what's the deal with the Astros in the AL West then? (A move I don't mind at all) But does this mean that interleague play is essentially dead as there will be a lot more regularly scheduled (meaning not bunched together as it's been) games throughout the regular season then?

Apparently it does: "The new 15-15 format will necessitate playing an Interleague game virtually every day, Selig said. As far as whether MLB will go to a more balanced schedule rather than the current format of each team playing 18 games apiece against their four division rivals is still to be determined, Selig added."

What's that high-pitched whining sound, Bonesy?

It is amazing how whining about Kershaw possibly getting robbed turned so quickly to whining about the voting not being unanimous.

Well, I tried to talk them down from the ledge last time, because there is no Batman without the Joker, but this time they're on their own.

It is amazing how whining about Kershaw possibly getting robbed turned so quickly to whining about the voting not being unanimous.

Well, I tried to talk them down from the ledge last time, because there is no Batman without the Joker, but this time they're on their own.

To be fair Kershaw is only the second pitcher to win the triple crown and not get the unanimous Cy Young vote.

So what's the deal with the Astros in the AL West then? (A move I don't mind at all)

This is a fine move, as it gives the Astros and Rangers some natural rivalry from a proximity standpoint. The Astros always felt far away from the other teams in the NL Central.

I still wish the 1998 realignment would have put the Royals into the NL Central instead of the Brewers. I think the decision of the Royals to remain in the AL is some of what has killed the franchise in the past decade. IMO.

But does this mean that interleague play is essentially dead as there will be a lot more regularly scheduled (meaning not bunched together as it's been) games throughout the regular season then?Apparently it does: "The new 15-15 format will necessitate playing an Interleague game virtually every day, Selig said. As far as whether MLB will go to a more balanced schedule rather than the current format of each team playing 18 games apiece against their four division rivals is still to be determined, Selig added."

If they are going to keep interleague, then who cares that it's all balled up into a couple of supposed 'special' weeks of interleague. There has always been an NL v NL matchup happening during that time, anyway. Wonky.

The balanced schedule always turns into a disaster. If they go that way, then just blow up the divisions and go with two 15 team leagues and have the top 5 teams in each be the playoff teams.

This is a fine move, as it gives the Astros and Rangers some natural rivalry from a proximity standpoint. The Astros always felt far away from the other teams in the NL Central.

I still wish the 1998 realignment would have put the Royals into the NL Central instead of the Brewers. I think the decision of the Royals to remain in the AL is some of what has killed the franchise in the past decade. IMO.

Well, Uncle Bud had to have his team move to the NL. If you can't be in the market with Boston and the Yankees, the next best thing is with the Cubs and Cardinals...

If they are going to keep interleague, then who cares that it's all balled up into a couple of supposed 'special' weeks of interleague. There has always been an NL v NL matchup happening during that time, anyway. Wonky.

The balanced schedule always turns into a disaster. If they go that way, then just blow up the divisions and go with two 15 team leagues and have the top 5 teams in each be the playoff teams.

I've long been a proponent of just chucking the interleague and having the all the teams all play each other at least one series each year.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: to Verlander.

Now I'm just waiting for the hilarity when Kershaw doesn't follow suit.

And Matt Kemp wins instead.

It'll be like watching drunk puppies with devil horns wearing Dodger Hats staggering around after forgetting how to lick their own balls.

Yeah, awesome for Verlander, and I agree that Kemp is likely to win it. The only argument against is if you feel that the team must be in the postseason. I look at the MVP more like "where would this team have been without this guy's play?" Imagine the Doyers this year without Kemp and Kershaw. That's another way of saying "How bad was the rest of LA's team this year?"

I saw an article that made too much sense arguing that Pujols will be one of the most risky free agent signings ever for whichever team signs him. If he's already started his decline, can anyone justify paying him with a huge and long deal? It might make some sense for St. Louis given that he's so well-liked he'd still add a lot of value even if he starts to fall off (of more value than whatever his numbers are is more what I'm trying to say), and they probably have a nice window for the next few years. But if this deal is the reason that we can't resign some other great young players like Wainwright, Freese, maybe Craig, or either of these two awesome pitchers we have coming up (Shelby Miller, Carlos Martinez), it will suck possibly for the last 2/3 of his deal. I'm completely torn.

There is some weight I think to the argument that for a team like the Nationals it would still be worth it since they gotta have someone the fans come out to see; and Strasburg only plays every 5 days.

In pure baseball terms though I agree; I would much rather have Prince Fielder. And with him I agree with the argument that he's always been a heavy guy, so he knows how to play with that weight and even if he puts on another 20 or 30 pounds its not going to hamper him that much.

Archived