Gendry?

The_Maltese_Wolf

i dont quite get obsession with Gendry on this forum - he is a simple bastard, low-born and commoner

he is good where he is - his smiting and martial prowess within BWB bringing him more fame than his heritage and origins unless he has severe case of sword in the belly in the meantime.

in the long run he is nice detail but most likely unimportant unless there is some major twist in the story

if there is a Baratheon bastard that may accomplish something as Robert's descendant that is Edric Storm

if there is a Baratheon bastard that may accomplish something as Robert's descendant that is Edric Storm

How? He's, what, like ten as of the end of Dance? Not to mention he's in Lys (or was it pentos?). He's even more insignificant than Gendry is at the moment.

Hey all you aSoIaF lovers out there! Just wanted to see what the general community think Gendry's role is in the whole thing. Considering the amount of time (or rather, space) he got in the first couple of books, it seems obvious to me that GRRM has big(ish) plans for him - but where does he fit in? Will he somehow become King of the Seven Kingdoms? Will he re-acquaint himself with Arya at some point or something completely different? Despite reading all five books I still consider myself quite the n00b but personally I pondered the thought of him becoming part of Sansa's story (her knight in shining armor riding in - with a bull's helm) and uniting the Starks and Baratheon's like Robert and Lyanna were meant to do. I dont know when, I dont know how but thats just a theory I thought about - any other concepts?

I was ready to see big things of Gendry, too, but am disappointed because it seems he's been more or less dropped. He was the one the King's Guard came looking for when Arya thought they were after her, so obviously there are at least some Lannisters who know his identity and the threat that he poses to the Joff/Tommen reign. However, since it's not looking too good for Tommen as far as retaining the throne, the threat Gendry would pose would be to Stannis instead. If Stannis even knows of Gendry's existence, and then there's also the question of Edric Storm. I wonder if/how this will come into play in the next two books, and I also wonder if somehow, can't he and Arya get together, please, please GRRM?

I was ready to see big things of Gendry, too, but am disappointed because it seems he's been more or less dropped. He was the one the King's Guard came looking for when Arya thought they were after her, so obviously there are at least some Lannisters who know his identity and the threat that he poses to the Joff/Tommen reign. However, since it's not looking too good for Tommen as far as retaining the throne, the threat Gendry would pose would be to Stannis instead. If Stannis even knows of Gendry's existence, and then there's also the question of Edric Storm. I wonder if/how this will come into play in the next two books, and I also wonder if somehow, can't he and Arya get together, please, please GRRM?

Stannis met him, Gendry described him to Eddard as the bald one that looked at him as if he raped his daughter...

How? He's, what, like ten as of the end of Dance? Not to mention he's in Lys (or was it pentos?). He's even more insignificant than Gendry is at the moment.

Stepstones I believe, with that Estermont guy

but he is recognized by Robert, Gendry isn't but everybody seem to put Gendry as the next king at very least

he is nobody and no sane Lord (well, maybe Vargo Hoat, but he is dead) would back his claim (even it there was any claim to back)

as the great grandson of aegon tragaryan gendry is a candidate to be one of the pwp/aa 3 heads. he is the compelling evidence catelyn needs to thwart the lannister claim to the throne and like while young griff is advertised as being one of the smallfolk we know gendry is.

Do you know how many houses have Targ blood in their veins? And according to you each and every one of their descendants is possible AA (since only requirement is Targ blood apparently) + there are still probably half dozen Robert's bastards -

and despite all this Gendry and Gendry alone is the Messiah that will save the world, unite every Lord in Westeros under his rule, lead the army of shining knights against Others, wield magical sword (not the common one every male is born with but a fiery dragonsteel kind), fart the thunderbolts, heal by laying of hands (hemorrhoids included), shoot the lighting beams from his eyes, piss elixir of life, ensure free health insurance, eradicate pale mare, give Mel multiple orgasms, have good luck with Harrenhall as his seat, shit twice the Tywin's gold...

also Cat is no longer playing game of thrones and she is interested in Gendry's ancestry as much Septon Utt is interested in children's wellfare

The HBO series has no relevance at all to the books; they have added and taken away stuff. I have watched it and they are trying to make Cersei much more likable in the series than GRRM did in the books, which I prefer. I think he wrote her way too irrationally. In the books, a pregnancy carried to term before Joffrey has never been mentioned and since she aborted the child she did conceive from him is a good sign that it doesn't exist. GRRM coming back with I hid my pregnancy, I thought birthing his legitimate heir and disposing of him, or whatever is just going to look foolish.

Last I checked, Edric Storm who actually did have a noble mother is still alive and well liked by Stannis. If any of Robert's bastards is going to get the stamp of legitimacy, it is going to be him not Gendry.

Unless, of course, Edric dies. It could happen. It really wouldn't surprise me much if Gendry did eventually become king.

I got the impression from Cersei's story on TV that she made it up in order to make Cat feel too sorry for her to suspect her of any involvement in Bran's fall. If it turns out that there was a Cersei/Robert baby in the TV version, it will be so that instead of aborting by drinking moon tea, Cersei poisoned it using Tears of Lys.

The HBO series has no relevance at all to the books; they have added and taken away stuff. I have watched it and they are trying to make Cersei much more likable in the series than GRRM did in the books, which I prefer. I think he wrote her way too irrationally. In the books, a pregnancy carried to term before Joffrey has never been mentioned and since she aborted the child she did conceive from him is a good sign that it doesn't exist. GRRM coming back with I hid my pregnancy, I thought birthing his legitimate heir and disposing of him, or whatever is just going to look foolish.

Last I checked, Edric Storm who actually did have a noble mother is still alive and well liked by Stannis. If any of Robert's bastards is going to get the stamp of legitimacy, it is going to be him not Gendry.

Unless, of course, Edric dies. It could happen. It really wouldn't surprise me much if Gendry did eventually become king.

I got the impression from Cersei's story on TV that she made it up in order to make Cat feel too sorry for her to suspect her of any involvement in Bran's fall. If it turns out that there was a Cersei/Robert baby in the TV version, it will be so that instead of aborting by drinking moon tea, Cersei poisoned it using Tears of Lys.

Hmm ok conspiracy theory cap - on.

Ok so Gendry was obviously too young to remember his mother properly but of that info that he has of his mother, which could be easily changed and which is a little harder to manipulate?

• Died when he was little - cannot be taken as truth because obviously Gendry cant know whether his mother is truly dead or not as a child.
  • Worked in an alehouse - can easily be invented to hide the truth.

Things harder to manipulate -

• She used to sing to him - Any woman can sing to her child, but the most intriguing is...
  • Yellow Hair - You cant cheat your genes (see Joffrey) so if Gendry was told that his mother had black hair and over time his hair lightened out (which is possible) then he'd know it wasnt true.

Ok so considering Im in conspiracy theory mode, think about this - what are the odds that Gendry is the child of Robert and CERSEI (yes, u read right) and not a common yellow haired girl. This could lead Gendry to indeed be the legitimate son of Robert and the true heir to the crown and would indeed put him right up there as an important piece of the Iron Throne puzzle if the rest of the world were to find out. It would go along with the fact that Cersei sent guards to attack and kill Gendry when he, Arya and Yoren were heading to the Wall - why would she want Gendry killed if he is only a bastard son and has no legitimate right to the throne? The only thing that might not click is why Robert wouldnt want to have his legitimate son around - Cersei I could understand as she loves Jaime but how could she manage to get Robert to abandon his true born first son?

I know its sounds crazy and is probably just a ridiculous conspiracy theory but must admit it would make Gendry interesting again if it were to be true. Thoughts?

I have always thought that too. That she lied to Ned about the abortion.

I know Cersei is evil and hated Robert, but why would she sent away one of her own sons to be raised as a bastard? It seems so complicated (pretending she wasn't pregnant or that she lost the baby during the pregnancy, going through labour without Robert or any of his brothers or Jon Arryn knowing, then sent the baby to be raised by a wench without seeing him or going to visit him secretly, all to finally murder him after Robert died? why would she do something like that?

If I were writing these books, I'd hook up Gendry and Jon. They would be cute being all sullen together. It's very possible Gendry (Baratheon) has the same inclinations as his uncle Renly.

And/Or he could marry Sansa to unite the Baratheon and Stark houses.

I definitely think that GRRM has some kind of plan for Gendry, even if it isn't to be King of Westeros.

I know Cersei is evil and hated Robert, but why would she sent away one of her own sons to be raised as a bastard? It seems so complicated (pretending she wasn't pregnant or that she lost the baby during the pregnancy, going through labour without Robert or any of his brothers or Jon Arryn knowing, then sent the baby to be raised by a wench without seeing him or going to visit him secretly, all to finally murder him after Robert died? why would she do something like that?

Because she is crazy? She has said that Ned forced her to off Robert sooner than she would have liked, so her sending the City Watch to kill him isn't shocking, especially if her original plans to off Robert went awry. She sent one of her own sons away because he was Roberts rightful heir. She despised Robert, she couldn't stand the thought of someone of his blood sitting the throne. It's not that surprising knowing what we know of Cersei.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Gendry is Cersei and Roberts son. His one thought of his mother is that she had blonde hair. So its possible that he is remembering Cersei, her golden hair is one of her defining features, so it's not surprising her child's lone memory of her would be that.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.

Because she is crazy? She has said that Ned forced her to off Robert sooner than she would have liked, so her sending the City Watch to kill him isn't shocking, especially if her original plans to off Robert went awry. She sent one of her own sons away because he was Roberts rightful heir. She despised Robert, she couldn't stand the thought of someone of his blood sitting the throne. It's not that surprising knowing what we know of Cersei.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Gendry is Cersei and Roberts son. His one thought of his mother is that she had blonde hair. So its possible that he is remembering Cersei, her golden hair is one of her defining features, so it's not surprising her child's lone memory of her would be that.

I think Cersei would have been foolish to send away a Baratheon looking child if she and Robert actually had one. The reason Cersei sent away/killed all of Robert's bastards was because they looked so typically Baratheon, while her children did not. If she had managed to have one child that looked like a Baratheon that would probably put any suspicion's people had (or Cersei thought they would have) to rest as there could be no denying that Cersei had a child that looked like Robert and genetics (or fate, whatever the hell they believed made children look like their parents) just played a weird game with the other children.

IMO Cersei became mad after Joff's death, that's when she becomes paranoid and obsessed with the prophecy (which said that she would have three children, not four).

The only scenario where I can see Cersei keeping a baby fathered by Robert is if there is also a chance that Jaime was the father. Then she might keep the baby hoping is Jaime's (and even in that case IMO Cersei would have an abortion just to be sure), and when he is born is obvious is Robert's son. But even in that scenario I don't understand why she would sent the baby away and 14 years later decide he has to die. If she hated him for being Robert's, why not kill him while he is a baby? if she loves him and can't kill him, why sent him away? and if she loves him to some degree but doesn't want a son of Robert as heir to the throne, why order the guards to kill him?

I just think it's also unlikely that Cersei would be able to hide a pregnancy, at some point she would start to show, and she can't just go away during almost a year without people wondering where she is and asking questions. Hiding a pregnancy is extremely difficult, a loose dress wouldn't be enough.

Although you can never be sure with GRRM, he would have a lot of explaining to do to make the readers believe Gendry is Cersei's son. Then again, it might be possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see any possibility that Gendry could be Cersei's son. He is too old.

Book1 - When Ned visits Gendry he notes that he is of an age with Robb (14)

Book2 - Arya mentions that he is 5 years older than her (10) which would make him (15)

by book2, Robb and Jon are both 15 - so they are all the same age.

Robert's Rebellion - before the rebellion, Ned's older brother is killed, so Ned marries Catelyn - she mentions that she got pregnant right away (this was mentioned when she and Robb are talking after his marriage) so during the revolt Catelyn is with child. When the war is over and Ned finally returns, he brings Jon Snow with him.

After the rebellion, Robert marries Cersei and there is no way she let Robert 'have' her before the wedding... so any child they would have had together would have to be at least 1-2 years younger.

It wouldn't make sense for Martin to create someone with as much characterization as Gendry and then leave him. Especially with the whole being Robert's bastard thing. Martin doesn't just add things like that for the hell of it. There's always a reason. He's got plans for him. It wouldn't make sense not to.

That, and I like Gendry. I've been dying to see a POV from him.

Archived