What do you think the title means?

Knepah

The Winds of Winter. I can't help but read several things from the name alone. A saying in ASOIAF is Words are wind, to suggest that words can never hurt you, which we've all seen isn't true. Words and propaganda have destroyed and even killed people in this series. The phrase appeared a lot in the second half of A Dance With Dragons. I don't think the "Winter" in the title means winter as in the season either, but more-so, the North, the Lands of Winter, the KINGS of Winter. Perhaps the kernel of the next book may be about the conspiracy of the Northmen to overthrow the Boltons and the Freys in the north and replace them with the Starks. The Winds could also mean the power or the strength of the north, maybe one last uprising against the Iron Throne?

I have yet to break down Winds Of Winter, I think we may need to wait for the book to hit shelves before we can break down a title completely.

Game Of Thrones = Introduction to the realm and its back stabbing political ways

Clash Of Kings = False or legitimate claims are made to more than one throne, the five kings go to war against each other

Storm of Swords = End of the WOTFK, the start of a new rule (Tommen's/Cersei's)

Feast For Crows = Back to politics, while the aftermath of the war settle in

Dance With Dragons = I feel it is more the Targaryens as apposed to the physical dragons, Targs are the main focus in this book.

just my two cents on what the titles mean, still not sure about Winds of winter (it could be misleading like DWD was). my first post ever is complete :)

One thing we all have experienced with GRRM's writing is that he doesn't give you what you've grown to expect, NEVER. Things in Westeros always find a way to go for the worse.

'The Winds Of Winter' promises to be a lot of things. Firstly, the long awaited (and dreaded if I may add) Winter has finally arrived. And it is going to be a really, really long one. After the war of the Five kings...the continent is in a devastated state, it has little or no means to survive the cold nights. This just might be the book where the Others attack! Plus, a lot of players, old and new, have come up to claim the iron throne. So you never know what is going to happen and what exactly is the meaning!

And as a devout well wisher of the Starks, I hope, I just hope that they get to reunite.

The only thing I'm afraid of is waiting for five years to read it!

Yeah but the last book was called a Dance with Dragons and had almost no Dragons in it so you really shouldn't trust the title. It's probably just an oblique reference to winter arriving and the acknowledgement that the shit is going to hit the fan all over the place.

It doesnt have to mean actual Dragons, but referring the the Targs. Many different suitors were attempting to Dance with Dragons.

During my recent re-read of AGOT, I spotted a possible correlation between wind and the Others.

In the prologue, the Rangers were riding for 9 days. On the 9th day (when they encountered the others), they noted "a cold wind was blowing from the north" and Will felt something cold and implacable watching them.

Later, when they dismounted and were walking on foot: they noted that a "cold wind whispered through the trees". Gared sensed something wrong that made him more scared that he has ever been. Royce asked him: "Wind. Trees rustling. A wolf. Which sound is it that unmans you so...?"

Maybe "Winds of Winter" will be about the Others sweeping south of the Wall. Just a theory...

During my recent re-read of AGOT, I spotted a possible correlation between wind and the Others.

In the prologue, the Rangers were riding for 9 days. On the 9th day (when they encountered the others), they noted "a cold wind was blowing from the north" and Will felt something cold and implacable watching them.

Later, when they dismounted and were walking on foot: they noted that a "cold wind whispered through the trees". Gared sensed something wrong that made him more scared that he has ever been. Royce asked him: "Wind. Trees rustling. A wolf. Which sound is it that unmans you so...?"

Maybe "Winds of Winter" will be about the Others sweeping south of the Wall. Just a theory...

This is likely, since we all know that the NW can't do sh*t without Jon, and Jon will be AWOL for a while... Just long enough that all hell breaks loose and he isn't to blame.

I think that in TWoW the Wall falls and/or the Others somehow cross it, shifting focus on them and the winter.

This is likely, since we all know that the NW can't do sh*t without Jon, and Jon will be AWOL for a while... Just long enough that all hell breaks loose and he isn't to blame.

I think that in TWoW the Wall falls and/or the Others somehow cross it, shifting focus on them and the winter.

Just finished "Dance" & new to this site, so forgive me, but "Jon AWOL"?? I thought he was "assassinated" by his fellow Watch brothers when he decided to march south to aid Stannis. Did I miss something?

Just finished "Dance" & new to this site, so forgive me, but "Jon AWOL"?? I thought he was "assassinated" by his fellow Watch brothers when he decided to march south to aid Stannis. Did I miss something?

just that fact that people tend to misuse the expression "AWOL" these days.

There was an assassination attempt for sure. Where it succeeded or not is the big question.

I have yet to break down Winds Of Winter, I think we may need to wait for the book to hit shelves before we can break down a title completely.

Game Of Thrones = Introduction to the realm and its back stabbing political ways

Clash Of Kings = False or legitimate claims are made to more than one throne, the five kings go to war against each other

Storm of Swords = End of the WOTFK, the start of a new rule (Tommen's/Cersei's)

Feast For Crows = Back to politics, while the aftermath of the war settle in

Dance With Dragons = I feel it is more the Targaryens as apposed to the physical dragons, Targs are the main focus in this book.

just my two cents on what the titles mean, still not sure about Winds of winter (it could be misleading like DWD was). my first post ever is complete :)

I think this is a good breakdown of the books title and possible meanings.

The Winds of Winter. I can't help but read several things from the name alone. A saying in ASOIAF is Words are wind, to suggest that words can never hurt you, which we've all seen isn't true. Words and propaganda have destroyed and even killed people in this series. The phrase appeared a lot in the second half of A Dance With Dragons. I don't think the "Winter" in the title means winter as in the season either, but more-so, the North, the Lands of Winter, the KINGS of Winter. Perhaps the kernel of the next book may be about the conspiracy of the Northmen to overthrow the Boltons and the Freys in the north and replace them with the Starks. The Winds could also mean the power or the strength of the north, maybe one last uprising against the Iron Throne?

I agree the title may have something to do with the saying "words are wind", but i have translated the meaning differently. In my opinion "words are wind" means more that you cant trust only words, and only actions count rather than "words can never hurt you".

Oh dear, I fear I must wait many winters for this book...

Archived