Such a tough read

7V3N

I'm not on a month long break from the book. It has just been so boring in comparison to the others. Every character I want to know more about (Tyrion, Jaime, Jon, Arya), I get nothing about. I know others have this problem, I just need some encouragement from those who have had the same problem and made it through.

Not enough though. And not much character development.

Jaime just separates himself from crazy Cersei, Arya becomes nobody, and I haven't really gotten any Jon (mostly thoughts about him from Sam and Aemon before he dies).

EDIT: I should also note that I have ready about half of the book.

Well, heh, too bad then, and since ADWD is the same maybe you'll want to quit the series while you are ahead.

This being said, some stuff does happen in the latter half of AFFC that gave us enough to discuss for the last 5/6 years, and from what most posters said, it also does stand rereads very well. After analysis, it's my favourite of the five so far, you just have to let go your craving for hollywood-like action.

Your choice anyway.

I read somewhere that GRRM has said that AFFC and ADWD together is one book. And although am yet to read ADWD, I know that Tyrion makes a come back in it. Jaime, Jon and Arya are included in both. Although the Stark brother and sister have too few chapters to count for in AFFC, there's aplenty of them in ADWD. So if you read them at one go, you'll be satisfied I hope.

You must understand that a lot of new players are introduced to the game and they need there own chapters too.

The only problem with FFC is the readers' expectations really. After the action packed SoS, FFC calms things down and is a very exposition and buildup based book. You won't be getting much action until the final chapters, because that's not the point of the book, at all.

GoT, CoK both built up to the several climaxes of SoS (red wedding, jof's wedding, night's watch...). FFC and DWD simply couldn't be as action packed as SoS otherwise it'd be hard to buildup even more tension for the two final books.

The change of rhythm was very welcome, and necessary, imho.

If really want to read about Jon, do a simultaneous read of Feast and Dance (there's a list of the chapters somewhere, google it) but I liked how he cut the books in half. It's fun to hear all sorts of rumors about some of the characters and wonder what's happening, only to find out in the next book.

Stick with this book and pay a lot of attention to details, I missed a lot of stuff on my first read. There's a lot of foreshadowing and hints at events to come. Plus, the last few chapters are some of the best in the series.

I agree. I plowed through the first 3 books, I am struggling staying with FFC... At first I liked the introduction of new characters, but now I am bored with it and I want my Tyrion back! I am going to keep going... I do enjoy the Dorne chapters....

I just can't believe we will be 5 books in with ADWD and we still have no solid confirmations of all our theories and assumptions, I find this to be a pisser. I guess the last 2 books will be the revealers and action packed, or at least thats my hope...

AFFC was one of my favorite reads of the series (still haven't read DWD yet) largely because of the characters that GRRM chose to focus on. I'll be the first to admit that I don't really care too much for Sansa Stark, but in this book man does she start to take an interesting turn with Littlefinger...she could be a SERIOUS contender in the game of thrones in upcoming books if she learns to play from him. Also, this book is basically the fall of Cersei Lannister which I've been waiting for for a VERY long time. I loved watching her try to run things with the massive amounts of paranoia and fear running around in her head. she's crazy. Jaime goes through such an awesome and dramatic change toward personal redemption and Brienne and her crew are just fun to read about. They're such a ragtag little team but you can't help but root for them (c'mon who doesn't like Pod?). The new characters are awesome in their own right too...EVERYONE seems to be making a push towards Dany and her dragons which sets up the potential for some serious conflicts soon. Sure, there isn't as much action, but think of this as GoT but for the south...you get introduced to new characters who clearly have enemies and are all trying to push for the iron throne in one way or another...the way i see Game of Thrones ended leaving 5 ppl in contention for the throne, but AFFC ends with about 6 ppl pushing for the throne as well (Dany, Dorne, Margery, Cercei, Iron men, Littlefinger)! There will be a massive war involving all these people soon, how can the anticipation not propel you further!? The anticipation of that alone propelled me through this book very quickly. And as far as Arya is concerned she is the coolest character in the series IMHO. She is a fighter. She is what, 10 years old? She thinks her entire family is dead, yet she has the courage to SURVIVE, by whatever means necessary. She sails across the world, assumes multiple identities, murders, steals, sells fish, helps people, she does it all and anyone that says her chapters are bad is crazy! She may not be killing people left and right, but she's training to be a 10 year old assassin. and even if that doesn't work out, she could become the Dire Wolf queen if she returns to westerns and finds Nymeria! Either way, she becomes more independent, stronger, smarter, and all around more badass with every word written about her.

I'm struggling to get through AFFC as well, but am making better progress than it feels. I'm about 1/3 through so far, when it feels like I've barely breeched a few chapters. There's so many Kings Landing and Ironborn chapters, it's quite dreary...but there are little enough things that keep me going - the Jaime and the Brienne chapters. Though Jaime's are kind of falling short of how much they satisfy me compared to the previous book. I didn't care much for Dorne either, but I do see that it is important. Even knowing that though, it's still a chore to get through and I find myself flipping back to the table of contents to see how far off certain POV chapters are. I'm just glad I did a few EyeQ exercises back in the day, so I could skim through the blurbs of descriptions and House names of people that I don't care about. Some people did not like Arya's chapters in ASOS, but I really love the insight it gave us to the other parts of Westeros. I got really excited when Arya came across the Sea to Braavos in her first chapter of this book, but her next chapter is just so far away...I feel trapped in Kings Landing and the Iron Islands...

The only issue i had in AFFC is the pacing of it, compared to the books that went before it, its like hitting the brakes when travelling at Mach2 and plodding along at 30mph. But I enjoyed it, the Jamie PoVs are the best (in my opinion) and theres some good chapters & character progression to be had.

I'm drudging along trying to finish this book, just for the hope of the next to be better than this was. The lack of tyrion and jon in this are whats boring me.They seem to me at least to be the back bone story lines for these books, but I could be wrong and have them just get axed others I thought before. Aryas stories are at least helping me to keep going.

I really enjoyed A Feast For Crows (now that I've finished it, hah), but I am completely empathetic with what everyone else is saying because I definitely felt all kinds of boredom and frustration at certain points while reading this book but Brienne, Jaime, and Cersei really helped me hang in there. While I am very interested in every angle of this story and the world in which it's told, I wasn't a huge fan of the POVs from Dorne and the Iron Islands.

FINISHING IS TOTALLY WORTH IT, though. I just completed the book two days ago and there is a huge payoff in the end. I just started A Dance With Dragons, and the opening chapters are Tyrion, Dany, and Jon, so you get to pick right up where most readers seem to be wanting for right away.

Some of the chapters are tough to read, namely Brienne's and some of Sam's but the book is really growing on me. I thought I would find it hard to read after reading a few posts on this forum but I have to say that I actually like the book. Jaime's chapters are my favourite, it's been really good seeing him develop and distance himself from the madness that is Cersei. The book is a good respite from the all action ASoS.

Archived