The Martells

Knepah

While I was reading I always pictured the Dornish as really dark. It may be weird, but Xerxes from 300 was always my image for Oberyn. Really tall skinny dark guy. But then in Feast my mental image became lighter. Arianne was sort of Turkish looking, Quentyn was just white. Anyway......

I think Banderas is an inspired choice for Oberyn. Seems to me he's the perfect age, perfect build, and has a Dornish enough look. And come one, can't you just see him yelling "You killed her! You raped her! You killed her children!". He's a great actor. Sure he's out of the show's league, but he'd only be in 3 or 4 episodes.....and he doesn't do many big movies anymore (except VO)....maybe theres hope? Just a little? He'd be in the end of season 4, maybe by then the show will be a massive success? Maybe he's a fan?

Drench Ciaran Hinds in spray on tan and he's the perfect Doran. I don't think he's that busy, I saw him on Broadway a year or two ago. I think a Doran performance is all about the voice, Hinds has an epic voice. Ian McShane is a bit too agressive sounding, the most important thing about Doran is how cautious and reserved he is. Maybe McShane could portray that, I can't really picture it.

Arianne is easy...just get any dark skinned Spanish/North African/Middle Eastern sexpot and you're good to go.

This is the worst part of the TV show for me, I hate seeing characters I've envisioned for years come to life as something completely different. I know it's a good TV show and it's going to happen regardless but I just don't like it -.-

I want to play Quentyn! =D

No, seriously, reallt curious to see who they'll pick up for him... I felt so close to the character during the book, and I look like him... and took quite some theater lessons, I might try the casting for fun when it comes!

• 2 weeks later...

I could see Indira Varma as Ellaria, easily. She's been in HBO programming, as well, which always seems to be a plus. And she is British.

Besides her, I kind of like the idea of Paz Vega in the role. Great actress, can be sultry and naughty (just watch Sex and Lucia), and as others have suggested I've always imagined the Dornish drawl is basically what you get with Spanish-inflected English.

Or another possibility: Uruguyan actress Bárbara Mori, if you want to go with someone less familiar. I don't know, something about her looks are striking -- possibly because she's a a quarter Japanese? Plus a drop of Lebanese in the background, apparently -- and she's acted well in some productions. Rakesh Roshan actually cast her in a Bollywood film, Kites, which is interesting and perhaps speaks to her appeal.

Still haven't found the right Arianne Martell. Back in the day George invited Linda and to provide some views and notes on characters to Tom Meier for the Dark Sword ASoIaF miniature designs. Interestingly enough, Salma Hayek -- my image of Arianne Martell (look at her in <em>Ask the Dust</em> and shave some years [no shaving away from that gorgeous figure, OTOH; Hayek actually put on a bit of weight for the role, and all to the good]) -- was brought up by George in discussing a completely different character (I won't say which, but I'd bet no one would guess it).

I noted my view of her as Arianne, in any case... and George said that could work, but responded that his actual mental image was more like actress Apollonia Kotero (Apollonia"]https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&q="Apollonia+Kotero"+"Purple+Rain") (circa, presumably, the 1980's when she was in Prince's orbit). Wikipedia says Mexican and Spanish descent, elsewhere it's said she's of Mexican and Italian descent. Either way, I can see what he's thinking there, and just haven't come up with anyone who quite fits. Need to look up who's doing well in the telenovelas these days...

Another that came to mind recently (a Google shows a couple others have had the idea):

Edward James Olmos as Doran Martell -- the gravitas, the world-weariness, hey, even the bags under the eyes! Listen to that

! He'd be excellent.

Naveen Andrews as Oberyn and Dev Patel as Quentyn (he's a bit too attractive compared to Quentyn in the book, but then so is everyone else so I don't think it'll matter!)

I was just watching Lost and thinking Naveen Andrews would be a great Oberyn. Too bad you got there first! We've already seen Andrews play a charismatic volatile bad ass very well. Red Viper makes a huge impression in the books in just a few chapters, so we need an actor with a lot of presence and he has that. He's 43, so a good age to have the oldest Sand Snake in her mid twenties if he started in his late teens.

Cliff Simon as Oberyn Martell!!!! His IMDB page, and a some good photos of him. Most well known role: Ba'al on SG1 (probably one of the most popular Goa'uld characters on SG1).

Lol. Funny you mentioned him. I suggested him as Euron in the Greyjoy thread. I loved him in Stargate as Ba'al and as a villain. I think he would make an excellent Euron. I like him, but I personally can't picture him as Dornish, though. Oded Fehr is still my choice for Oberyn. :drool:

I would totally dig either Indira Varma or Paz Vega as Ellaria Sand. Both are excellent choices. I always pictured Nymeria resembling Paz Vega, but she is more of an age with Ellaria. I think she would be great.

Edward James Olmos as Doran! Hell yeah!

EJO would make a fantastic Doran! I wish I'd thought of him.

And I would kill to have Indira Varma in this series. She's one of my favorite actresses. She'd make a great Ellaria but I really would want her to have a bigger part. Unfortunately the only bigger part would be Arianne and I don't know if she could pass being young enough to do it. So Ellaria it is!

D&D, make it happen!

The first 2 are awesome choices to play the Red Viper. I especially think the 2nd one would bring the edge factor that the character has.

However I'm more interested in who you guys think would be an excellent Doran Martell. And I'm very excited to see who they get to play the beautiful Arianne Martell

Edward James Olmos as Doran Martell would be a good choice...depending on his accent of course. I'm just basing it off his role in the movie "Selena".

Salma Hayek was brought up by George in discussing a completely different character (I won't say which, but I'd bet no one would guess it).

Margaery ? Lady Nym ? Lyanna ? Asha ? Meera ?

She could maybe play one of The Sand Snakes or Arianne herself....? But her style of acting is a little annoying to me.

ya her acting is a little over the top, but she sure is pretty, and if she played Arianne then we might finally get a nude scene out of her

Archived