Did Shae get a raw deal?

The_Salt_Wife

• 2 years later...

Everyone forgot she was part of a lie that almost got Tyrion killed? So because she was a whore and because he should have seen it coming its ok? It was his mistake to trust her but that dose not make it ok to lie and help kill innocent man...

• 1 month later...

She got a raw deal. Yes, she lied about Tyrion, but that was to save her own skin. Tywin/Cersei wouldn't think twice about giving a common whore an excruciating death unless she complied with their demands.

Shae's mistake was to get involved with dangerous people, and she paid with her life for it. But that doesn't mean she didn't get a raw deal. Being a whore isn't a capital crime, and neither is lying under threat.

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't read every single page, forgive me if I missed something, but I feel everyone is forgetting a pretty important factor. Tyrion was a prisoner fleeing from undeserved excecution who decided to confront/murder his powerful father on the way out. He HAD TO kill any hostile witness he encountered during this or suffer and die in their stead and, more importantly for Tyrion in this situation, give up the chance to confront/kill his father.

In that way killing Shae was just like Arya killing the guard when fleeing Harrenhall - a neccessity for self preservation. (Not saying self defence! but both killings had to be done for those characters to reach their goals and be free) Only I'm less sorry for Shae than the guard, because he was just doing his guarding duty and was scarcely aware that Arya existed, while Shae chose to be Tyrion's enemy. If she had been his friend - and I don't mean one true soulmate, just a friend like lowlife Bronn (who was also just with Tyrion for money) or sneaky Varys or messed up Jaime - Tyrion could have told her to shut up and pretend to sleep or get the hell out of there and be quiet, or maybe it would have been best to take her with him on the way out. But she proved to him that she was an enemy and he had to expect her to betray him again and get him killed for sure this time. Really, Tyrion's only decision was how to kill her and what to say first. (and of course that decisions were made for personal reasons relating to their history)

He did not set out to murder her. He set out to murder his father. Her death was an unfortunate coincidence - so yeah, you can say she got a raw deal. I shed no tears.

I do not know why I think this, but I have always thought Shae was placed in Tyrion's way by his father. I believe Shae was warming Tywin's bed first. I thought she was reporting back to Tywin all the while.

She took her chances with Lions.

I do not know why I think this, but I have always thought Shae was placed in Tyrion's way by his father. I believe Shae was warming Tywin's bed first. I thought she was reporting back to Tywin all the while.

She took her chances with Lions.

That would certainly make it ironic. Tyrion would have spent his time with Shae thinking that Tysha was a whore hired by Tywin, and that Shae was the real deal... whereas the exact opposite was the case.

My opnion on this is: hell no. She totally threw Tyrion and Sansa under the bus with her perjury not to mention making a mockery of their relationship. Not that she actually deserved to be killed for it, but I don't feel sorry for her at all.

I've never forgiven Tyrion for his actions in the Tower of the Hand, but that's much more to do with murdering his own father (the worst form of kinslaying, which is about as taboo as violating guest right) thus bringing down his family. His brother Jaime had just gotten him off the hook and he insults him and then repays him with this?

I am also genuinely disturbed that I feel like I'm about the only person in this category; just about everyone else seems to be happy that Tyrion killed Tywin yet have a problem with him killing a whore.

Um, I for one am genuinely relieved you find yourself alone in this belief. So the murder of prostitutes is generally no big deal. Is the rape of common girls also okay-ish? Depending on the status of the rapist, perhaps?

The Lannisters deserve to go down three times over, Tywin especially. The mistreatment of Tyrion alone deserves them this fate and then there is everything else.

That would certainly make it ironic. Tyrion would have spent his time with Shae thinking that Tysha was a whore hired by Tywin, and that Shae was the real deal... whereas the exact opposite was the case.

Isn't just? Tyrion has great reason to hate his family

Archived