93 replies to this topic

#81 The Dragon has three heads

The Dragon has three heads

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I believe the Citadel would do anything to save itself, even if it ment thousands of lives(the grey plague anyone?).

As a religion the red lot can't even decide who their savior is, so that shows how fractured they are internally.

I believe it's the Valyrian religion which is actually magic but dogma made it a religion, thts integral to dragon breeding and is part of Danny's miracle.
Fire and blood.

#82 NotSoSilentSister

NotSoSilentSister

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

I believe the Citadel would do anything to save itself, even if it ment thousands of lives(the grey plague anyone?).

When the Grey Plague broke out in Oldtown, Quentin Hightower ordered the city closed and everyone killed who tried to escape. That was not so much saving the Citadel, but thousands and thousands of lives of Non-Old-Town inhabitants who would have died if the plague had spread over Westeros. It's basically a textbook example of someone acting in accordance with the principle that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. The ruling class of Oldtown decided to sacrifice their own city (and potentially themselves) for the greater good of the rest of Westeros.

As far as I remember he was not opposed in this by the Maesters, who were also being put at high risk by this decision as the Citadel is located in Oldtown. One could even assume that they downright supported the decision (because otherwise it's hard to imagine how Hightower could have enforced it; the Maesters definitelly being part of the ruling class in Oldtown) - in this case the Grey-plague incident would be an argument for the altruistic bent of the Citadel.

#83 The Dragon has three heads

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Yes perhaps, unless it was In fact the Maesters who let the plague out, intentionally or not...

#84 NotSoSilentSister

NotSoSilentSister

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

Yes perhaps, unless it was In fact the Maesters who let the plague out, intentionally or not...

Is there any hint whatsoever in the text for that theory? What would the Maesters have to gain from such a ploy? Especially since they themselves are put at great risk by it?

#85 The Dragon has three heads

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Is there any hint whatsoever in the text for that theory? What would the Maesters have to gain from such a ploy? Especially since they themselves are put at great risk by it?

I don't think so, and it may have been unintentional, but I wouldn't be surpirsed if it was some experiment gone wrong as opposed to "a ship from the east".

#86 lysmonger

lysmonger

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

I think the maestars specificially chose really bad advice for the targaryens at really good times...

Yes, you should attack Dorne this way....

No, your bastard brother wont jump to rebellion when you try to marry his halfsister off....

#87 NotSoSilentSister

NotSoSilentSister

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I don't think so, and it may have been unintentional, but I wouldn't be surpirsed if it was some experiment gone wrong as opposed to "a ship from the east".

It's not entirely impossible. But we know from Tyrion and the Jon Connigton chapters that Greyscale is a thing in Essos and has been for quite a while (the shrouded Lord rather predates Quenton Hightower), so applying occam's razor, "a ship from the east" looks pretty plausible.

#88 Asha Greyjoy:Feminist Icon

Asha Greyjoy:Feminist Icon

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:22 PM

Perhaps Doran Martell, Westerosi equivalent to Hans Blix, can write a strongly worder letter to Dany about her dragons.

Sorry to resurrect a long dead thread, but I can't not give respect to this solid esoteric political reference. Well played, Past-Tensed Captain Breath.

#89 Aerys Blackfyre

Aerys Blackfyre

Council Member

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

this is the best theory I've read in a long while!

#90 srini

srini

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

According to Archmaester Marawyn, there is a secret society within the order of the maesters which is opposed to sorcery, prophecies, glass candles and dragons. They promote their views and interests in Seven Kingdoms, by intrigue.

They were responsible for extinction of dragons.

Probably, Sabotaged Targaryen's attempts to hatch dragons from petrified eggs.

May had a hand in the overthrow of House Targaryen.

Will oppose restoration of House Targaryen to Iron Thrown.

#91 The Dragon has three heads

Council Member

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

"Information is ammunition".

Adam Steiner.

;)

#92 Mulled Wino

Mulled Wino

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

So if there is a chance to rid the world of magic completely, without the risk of it coming back to be used by one group or the other, I think it is a good thing. If there is a possibility to reach consensus on not using it, sure why not? The latter is less likely to me though.

I just don't see where this is coming from.  Seems to be a crux of your argument but there is magic in plenty of places in the world other than Westeros.  Active magic hatched the dragon eggs in Essos.  There seems to be a few other hubs of magic that Maesters can't touch.  I think its much more logical to assume the maestros want to control magic as it pertains to Westeros.  

Additionally, the maesters are with the Lords and bound to service.  Leaving out info or purposefully ignoring requests from these lords regarding magic, COTF, Others and all of that is shady on their part.  If they were as stand up as you seem to believe, they should be sharing the info they have with their lords they are bound in service too.  

#93 #Fire and Blood

#Fire and Blood

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

I get the whole Maesters do not like magic thing......but we must not forget about the Hightowers. 

The Hightowers are credited with finding the Citadel.  We also know that there are many reports of many generations of Hightowers locking themselves in their towers for decades at a time.  It was reported to us in the books that the current hightower has locked himself up top, and is frantically trying to get some magical spells to work.

The Maesters may be against certain types of magic; but if the Hightowers are the one's wielding the power, I think it would be a different story entirely.

#94 ICRYRAGE

ICRYRAGE

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

I think everyone has one part of the Conspiracy, part of magic comes from dragons, so they wanted to get rid of them, but another part of magic comes from Blood.  I think the Maesters are also trying to breed out some of the Magic abilities that the Targs and Starks have in them.  (perhaps other families as well.)  The Starks have Warging abilities I think that come from the children of the forest, (though the marsh king) the Targs have their own abilities.  If you breed Starks to southern lords then over several generations these natural skills will fade away.  I think that is the secret that is happening at the Citadel.  Also the book from the first book that Ned reads is a history of all the houses and their lineages.  Why would the Maesters have such a detailed book if not to control the family lines?