Ebooks are better. They just are. Stop crying. They are.

Ken Stone

Also an ebook is invincible. It cannot be destroyed. Your book can be stolen, dropped in a lake, or set on fire. Any of which will destroy the stupid thing. Until the day I die I will have the ability to fire up any device I own and read DwD. Not only that, but I don't have to pack it when I move. It is always with me. Everywhere. Like magic.

OK, please explain this part to me. Seriously, I really don't know how this works. Don't you have to download the ebook after you purchase it into any device you want to read it from? If there was a flood or fire that managed to destroy ALL of your electronic devices at once, why wouldn't that also destroy your ebooks?

It's simply not a case of one or the other. I have a Nook, which I use generally to read light stuff, (like zombie fiction, whoo-rahhh) But the books I want to "collect", as in the ASOIAF series, I buy hardcover. I do occasionally miss the hours of perusing new and used books stores looking to find an unknown gem. I actually found AGOT on the discount table at B Daltons in 1997, But the truth of the matter is I live in a 2nd largest metro area in the country and the closest new book store is 20 miles away. We learn and adapt, or we perish. lol

The ability to search thru the 2 million book library of Barnes & Noble, download samples I can read at my leisure. and when I decide to buy, have the book instantly, no standing in long ass lines on a Saturday afternoon. All that works like a new age charm for me. I miss record stores too, in a way, but again, buying music online allows me to be the song I want, not the whole damn CD just to get the one or two songs I like.

Remain flexivble people.

al qaida explodes an EMP. byebye ebooks.

Teeheehee I was about to mention this. When the nuclear holocaust (or else S.M. Stirling's "Change") occurs, then paper will become quite superior. Also mechanical typewriters, one of which I am proud to own. :)

OK, please explain this part to me. Seriously, I really don't know how this works. Don't you have to download the ebook after you purchase it into any device you want to read it from? If there was a flood or fire that managed to destroy ALL of your electronic devices at once, why wouldn't that also destroy your ebooks?

When you buy your ebooks from Amazon they store it in the "Cloud". You install the Amazon app on a device and you can read any books you have purchased from Amazon on that device. Amazon even has an app for the Chrome web browser, so you can read your books from any device that runs Chrome. If you buy a new device you just install the app (it takes a couple of seconds), give it your Amazon account and password and off you go.

When you buy your ebooks from Amazon they store it in the "Cloud". You install the Amazon app on a device and you can read any books you have purchased from Amazon on that device. Amazon even has an app for the Chrome web browser, so you can read your books from any device that runs Chrome. If you buy a new device you just install the app (it takes a couple of seconds), give it your Amazon account and password and off you go.

Works for the Nook as well. Except that you download from Barnes and Noble.

Ken,

Books are just as portable as the devices you list, don't need batteries, and are easier to filp around in if you are reading non-fiction or a book with a glossary/appendiecies.

No books are not as portable. How much does your library weigh? Mine weighs nothing. Well it does, but my ebook library doesn't.

ETA: The point is I already have my phone on me. I'm going to be carrying a phone so it's a bonus that I can read my books on it. You are carrying your phone and a book on top of that. An ebook isn't "portable" because you don't have to port it anywhere. It is always with you, all the time (assuming you have a smart phone or a computer nearby).

For me the best is to have both ebooks and tree books. Some books lend themself to one format over the other.

I love hardcovers myself. They are best for getting autographs from authors, for books with lovely covers, for books with maps you actually want to be able to read, and for the general experience of holding a book and drifting through the pages. I also like to be surrounded by bookshelves filled with books at home so I'll always keep buying my favorites in this form.

But ebooks are best for travel, when you are sick and trapped at home and need a new book NOW, for books that weigh over 5 pounds, for books with horrific covers, and for books that are sequels to books with cliffhangers where you can't wait until you get to a bookstore to find out what happens in the sequel.

Hell, if I really love the book I generally purchase it as an ebook as well as in hardcover form.

Textbooks are better in physical edition than on the Kindle.

Scot

Kindle is way better for portability. I used to drag a half dozen books with me on vacation, using up 1/3-1/2 of my luggage space. Now I carry something with me that fits in my pocket and has dozens of titles. Win.

So if your house catches fire you could lose your books.

If Amazon gets hacked you could lose your e-books.

Looking at recent history this is not a very convincing argument.

Thanks for explaining that to me.

I must admit though that my initial reaction to that is to be a little creeped out. First, it wouldn't really feel to me like I "owned" something unless it was stored on a device I had immediate control over. I don't trust the "cloud" to always be available when I want it.

I also don't like the idea of accessing books I supposedly own in this way because it seems to be a further erosion of privacy. If you read your books this way, not only does Big Brother Amazon (or B&N) know what you've bought, but they theoretically can know exactly when and where you are reading it. I just don't trust them with that sort of information about my private life.

A separate issue is a personal problem with screen size. I can just barely imagine myself reading a book on a screen the size of a Kindle or Nook if I had to. But read a book on a screen as small as a cell phone? I actually saw today for the first time an acquaintance of mine reading a book on her cell phone and she showed me what it looked like. Personally I just can't imagine ever wanting to read an entire book on a screen that tiny. I just don't think it would be a pleasant experience for me.

Of course I am not big into electronic devices anyway. I only use my cell phone for the convenience of making calls when I'm away from home and for making long distance calls because with the plan I have long distance is cheaper over the cell phone than the land line. But I almost never keep the cell phone on while I am not using it and therefore don't receive calls on it very often. And I don't text or use the phone to access anything else, though I guess it does have the ability to access the Internet if I'd want it to.

So if your house catches fire you could lose your books.

If Amazon gets hacked you could lose your e-books.

Not if you have multiple devices, since it downloads the e-books to those devices. I've got a Kindle, Kindle for PC at home, and another Kindle for PC on my work computer - each of which has all my e-books (58 of them). I'd have to lose all three devices plus a complete foul-up on Amazon's end to lose my e-books, whereas my physical books can be destroyed by fire and other forms of damage.

I'm convinced that if you don't have an e-reader, you simply have no idea of how incredibly convenient e-books on a Kindle are. Even describing the advantage of it only partially gets at the convenience. I can take notes and highlight passages without marring the book, jump from page to page easily, read it in almost any situation, jump from page to index and back with ease - the list goes on. Sorry, Scot, but until you actually try a Kindle or an equivalent e-reader, you simply don't know what you're missing.

Archived