Rate the fantasy series you have read

Lord Reek

Rate the fantasy books/series you have read from 1 to 10 and if you feel like eloborating, please do. Note that this is not a "your favorite fantasy series" thread. Rate the good ones, the bad ones and the mediocre ones.

Song of Fire and Ice 10/10

Never enjoyed anything in entertainment as much as I do reading this series.

Harry Potter 9/10

My first glimps into fantasy and boy, did I enjoy it. It has a couple of flaws though. Harry is not a really interesting character and the whole "evil lord" thing bothers me. It's escapism at it's purest though. Hogwarts is my favorite place that doesn't exist.

Life of Pi 9/10

Just one book, and no standard fantasy but and adventure story with a fantasy feel to it because everything feels so fantastic yet realistic. Intens, emotional and brutal,

The Farseeer trilogy 8/10

I liked the character building and the depressing feel this series had to it. The end was so bittersweet and had a couple of unresolved issues and mysteries and I really liked that.

The Gentlemen's Bastard 8/10

What can I say? The whole con artist thing is fantastic and very refreshing. I really like the world building too.

Kingkiller Chronicles 8/10

Decent worldbuilding, an interesting protagonist and a university where magic and science are both taught. These elements do it for me. I also like the central theme of storytelling.

Tawny Man Trilogy 7,5/10

Not as good as the Farseeer trilogy but still a good read. I liked the first two books but the third one ended so unrealisticly that it bothered me. The happy ending was too forced.

Liveship Traders 7,5/10

Exactly same things I have to say about Tawny Man Trilogy

Elantris 6,5/10

Original setting and background to the story but the plot felt cliché and the characters were not very interesting.

The Magicians 6.5/10

It all felt very "hey I'm gonna write an adult Harry Potter book" to me. Nothing happened in large parts of the book, but some ideas were original and I liked the brutalness of Filloroy.

The Blade Itself 5,5/10

I only have read the first book. The worldbuilding was mediocre and the characters were uninteresting. The only reason I kept on reading was because of Glokta.

Series that weren't interesting enough get past the 100 page mark:

Dark Tower series

Malazan book of the Fallen (sorry groupies)

Rain wild Chronicles (I think the whole dragon thing is by far the most boring part of Hobbs work).

Another series (can't remember the name) that begins with a girl that wakes up with a red arm: an ancient sign that marks people with magic skills. Then her parents get killed thanks to a 'dark lord'. Cliché after cliché, ugh.

Rate the fantasy books/series you have read from 1 to 10 and if you feel like eloborating, please do. Note that this is not a "your favorite fantasy series" thread. Rate the good ones, the bad ones and the mediocre ones.

You're kidding, right? I've read more than 150 books in the last 6 months *alone*, the majority of those fantasy. I'm not about to go through and rate every one of them here.

I'll second the vote for you to go check out goodreads. Many folks, like me, have several hundred books rated in their book lists over there. And there's lots and lots of great reviews over there in addition to the ratings!

150 books in a little more than 150 days? I don't believe you. That wouldn't even work if you have no school, work, social life, hobbies and sleep.

O ye of little faith! It all depends how long those books are!

Seriously Contrarius 150 books in six months, thats about six a week by my dodgy maths, pretty good going!

Cont does the audio-book thing.

Still, I've read about the same number using my eyes.

Gotta remember - not all fantasy or sci-fi is in the form of massive books. 300-500 pages (or less) is far more common, if you read stand alones.

I think we're all wondering what happened to LORD OF THE RINGS. Just saying, even if you didn't like it, wouldn't you at least judge it.

That is, unless you haven't read it :P

And in that case, I highly recommend you go read it FIRST, before reading anything else.

I just recounted my list. Two corrections: there's actually 168 books on the list now, and since this is the beginning of December it's actually been 7 months since I started keeping the list. :)

Reading The Neon Rain right now. Gotta love Burke's writing, wonderful stuff.

Seems I have found someone else here that likes Harry Potter as much as I do. Regardless of what people say is bad about them, they are fucking great. Just finished re reading them I Don't even know how/why I started. I'd rate it about as high as you based on just how much I enjoyed reading them.

Archived