Rate the fantasy series you have read

Lord Reek

Ok. Small hijacking here. just a little.

Wizenbeak, by Alexeis Gilliand. 8/10. A"classic" fantasy series, in the sense that it ISN"T 10,000 pages of epic, where the value of epic is based upon long detailed passages that go on forever....

Does anybody remember when a series had much smaller, tighter books? Plus, I put forward the female characters in the books are actually very much not stereotypes.

GILLILAND! he's under-rated, unknown, I fear, and somebody better take the bait and check his shit out!

I found this website called www.westeros.org. Somewhere in there, there was a series thread in their forum. That's what i like to use for this problem.

I meant that it would be easier for these people to make the list.

And Night Angel is only a two because I did finish it so it can't be a one.

Here is my list (and btw I made a goodreads account a while ago and never used it)

The Wheel of Time 9.5/10

A Song of Ice and Fire 9.3/10

The Lord of the Rings 9/10

Harry Potter 9/10

Abercrombie's Books 8.7/10 (8 for the trilogy, 9 for the two stand-alone novels)

The Silmarillion and the Hobbit 8.5/10

Mistborn 8.5/10

The Kingkiller Chronicles 7.5/10

Godless World 7/10

Gentlemen Bastards 7/10

Malazan Book of the Fallen (only read the first 3 so...) 5/10

The Fire of Heaven and the Broken Man trilogies 4.5/10

Yeah, better use his characterisation and pacing, for that. After having read a few of the books, of course, to know what you're talking about.

There is no doubt that many of his characters are sub-par, however, that is to be expected in this genre. Additionally, I would say that the books targets a teen age audience. I would still recommend it to anyone who would like to lable himself a fantasy reader though, because of the reasons I listed before and others. I think the pacing is ok up until the point that Jordan just brings on too many unnecessary story lines.

The Fire of Heaven and the Broken Man trilogies 4.5/10

Man, I really enjoyed the first one of these, and I tried reading the second book back in September and just...goddamn. It's like the author had a serious head wound in between. Or was replaced by a clone.

The Blade Itself 5,5/10

I only have read the first book. The worldbuilding was mediocre and the characters were uninteresting. The only reason I kept on reading was because of Glokta.

I tried digging into this series and I was just bored. I don't understand all the love the series get. I read about 300 pages and gave up. Maybe I just stopped to soon. Is it worth going on or is it more of the same?

You should totally read the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Harry Potter for grownups (and don't get me wrong, I like Potter).

I like the Garrett series by Cook somewhat more than Butcher's series. I got a bit annoyed with butcher having all his characters end up at the grand finale without prior coordination a couple of times, and he writes his protagonist to have attitudes a lot of readers would find hard to sympathize with, both in his personal life and his views of dealing with the underworld (he is very righteous, even when a mob boss goes out of his way to help him and not be troublesome).

I will offer the Aldair series by Neil Barrett Jr as one I read recently and enjoyed. The series mostly takes place in a fantasy environment, is fairly fast-paced, and kept my interest enough to get the rest of the series after I read the first book. It is long out of print, as far as I know, but that really isn't an obstacle these days. 4 books, none more than ~150 pages. 1970's publication by daw.

There is no doubt that many of his characters are sub-par, however, that is to be expected in this genre.
I don't really care about starting a WoT discussion, but on that point I entirely disagree. Good books have good characterisation, in Fantasy or elsewhere. The only books you should expect bad characterisation from are bad books... But even if that was not true, it wouldn't make a book bad within expectations any less bad.

Why do you hate Fantasy like that? Just to be able to say that WoT is crap in some parts but since all Fantasy is crap like that then it's ok? Meh, there's more to the genre than the Jordan lookalike.

Woofdog - Whoot! Something to look for now!

I'm a pretty big fan of Barret, but I only own some of his sci-fi stuff (Through Darkest America is one series).

Plus, the Gates of Time. The first sci-fi I ever bought with my own money. He's a pretty good person, in that I sent him email a few years back, telling him that bit of trivia, and how much I still love the book...got a reply the next day, with HIS tale of his first sci-fi ever bought.

I like the Garrett series by Cook somewhat more than Butcher's series.  I got a bit annoyed with butcher having all his characters end up at the grand finale without prior coordination a couple of times, and he writes his protagonist to have attitudes a lot of readers would find hard to sympathize with, both in his personal life and his views of dealing with the underworld (he is very righteous, even when a mob boss goes out of his way to help him and not be troublesome).

I will offer the Aldair series by Neil Barrett Jr as one I read recently and enjoyed.  The series mostly takes place in a fantasy environment, is fairly fast-paced, and kept my interest enough to get the rest of the series after I read the first book.  It is long out of print, as far as I know, but that really isn't an obstacle these days.  4 books, none more than ~150 pages.  1970's publication by daw.

You know, I probably prefer Garret over Dresden at this point also. Just picked up the Garret omnibus containing the first three novels a couple of weeks ago so im at the same point in each series. Im biased though because I am a bit of a glen cook fanboy.

Archived