The Official Tyrion Lannister appreciation thread

Son of Jon Snarkgaryen

He should have said no to spreading the rumor about Shireen. that chapter show that he doesn't have a softspot for the cripple,bastards, and broken things. He knew that Shireen wasn't part of the war. I expect something from Littlefinger and Varys, but not Tyrion. That chapter prove he really is his dad's son.

The problem I have with people who hate on Tyrion is that they primarily focus on one novel, ADWD. I feel like a character should be judged on their entire arc, not just the part that makes them look the worst. It's kind of like hating Sansa because she is so sheltered and disloyal to her family in the first book, with the primary difference being that the timelines are reversed. So if a character starts out in a negative light and builds up to be a better person they are fine, but if they do the opposite we only judge them by the most recent material? I just think it is unfair to define Tyrion by all the bad things he's done in ADWD, while ignoring many of the good things he did in AGOT, ACOK, etc.

I believe it is an insult to the complexity of his character to paint him as wholey bad, just as it is to paint him as pure good. GRRM himself has stated that Tyrion is the most morally neutral character in the series. This means he isn't bad, he isn't good, he's some of both. This is a series known for having very grey characters, so it shocks me that so many people want to label Tyrion as this evil guy when there is so much more to him than that. He isn't the good guy that Davos is and he isn't the bad guy that Ramsay is, he's somewhere in between.

I judge him for every dark deed he has down, the rape of Tysha, the arming of the clansmen, and the murder of his own father.

Tyrion is a fabulous character precisely because of his badness. If he was completely good he would be boring. He has sins for which he needs to atone, but he's also been kicked around an awful lot. The guy has psychological issues.

I appreciate his intelligence, his bookishness, his ability to strategize and his fierce survivorship (I think I just invented a word). No matter what life throws at him (including what he ends up throwing at himself) he keeps going. He keeps trying to find ways to turn each situation to his advantage. Tyrion is a fighter in the truest sense of the word. He does occasionally wallow, but who doesn't? I also like that he can find humor in awful situations. He's also been known to laugh at himself.

His many serious flaws will likely be his undoing, but he will remain fascinating up until his last breath.

Archived