Small Questions XIII

Angalin

Continued from the last thread, with the same directives:

In an effort to keep this one to 'small questions' please use the 'multiquote' function if you addressing numerous posts.

Also, if a question has been answered, it is unnecessary to answer it again.

Finally, feel free to direct boarders to existing threads on issues canvassed here.

Most recent question, which may have been answered already:

What was the name of the Knight in Dunk and Egg who was the Fiddler's right hand man?

I recall that Gormon Peake and Alyn Cockshaw were part of the Fiddler's entourage.

Mystery Knight Spoilers

The latter was the one who got thrown down the well, IIRC, while the former was the one who masterminded the whole tourney plot with Ser Tom Heddle.

i am very confused so i will ask: Is Maggy the Frog the woman that Arya meet when she is with the BWB? caus I really though she was one and the same, Is she a COTF as well? Thanks

As far as I know they are not the same person (though it has not been confirmed). Cersei thinks that Maggy is long dead. Also the dwarf woman Arya meets has some connection with Summerhall and the Targaryens.

Also based on what we've learned in ADWD, I am pretty sure that the dwarf woman is not a COTF, but she may be connected to them due to her stature, where she lives and her dreams.

Maggy, on the other hand, was a witch from across the narrow sea. She knew blood magic, and her name is a mispronunciation of the word maegi

i am very confused so i will ask: Is Maggy the Frog the woman that Arya meet when she is with the BWB? caus I really though she was one and the same, Is she a COTF as well? Thanks

Arya met the Ghost of High Heart who was a friend of Jenny of Oldstones (the woman Prince Duncan the Small abandoned his title for). She also said that the PtwP would be born from the Targaryen line.

Does Barristan ever think about what Daenerys looks like? I would like to know if my little "Dany looks like young Cersei (obv. A+J=C&J) with different coloring" crackpot theory can be debunked right away.

The only woman I recall Barristan comparing Dany to is Ashara ie the purple eyes.

Does the Ghost of High Heart not say something about feasting on the sorrow of Summerhall? That dwarf freaked me out a little.

Yes. Summerhall was the Targareyons summer castle. Apparently something very bad happened there (a fire I guess) and many folk died, including Jenny and her prince. According to the Westoros Wiki on Egg: "Barristan Selmy stated Aegon V married for love and all three of his sons were said to do the same in defiance of there fathers wishes, since Aegon wed for love himself though he let his sons do the same even though it made bitter enemies instead of fast friends. This led to treason and turmoil that ended in Summerhall in sorcery, fire and grief.

Aegon perished in a fire at Summerhall, the Targaryen summer home, while trying to hatch dragon eggs. His son, Prince Duncan the Small, and Lord Commander Duncan also perished in the incident that was dubbed the Tragedy of Summerhall. "

I think the old lady is a COTF. I think they can use glamor to hide their true looks. She is obviously very sad, asking for the same song again and again and crying while it is played. Summerhall is around 40 or so years before AGOT.

As far as I know they are not the same person (though it has not been confirmed). Cersei thinks that Maggy is long dead. Also the dwarf woman Arya meets has some connection with Summerhall and the Targaryens.

Also based on what we've learned in ADWD, I am pretty sure that the dwarf woman is not a COTF, but she may be connected to them due to her stature, where she lives and her dreams.

Maggy, on the other hand, was a witch from across the narrow sea. She knew blood magic, and her name is a mispronunciation of the word maegi

thanks

Just thinking about tPwwP...

Can we now say for sure that Dany is the Princess who was promised... as she was literally promised to marry Quentin Martell?

Aegon wasn't promised to anyone...

Viserys was promised to Arianne Martell... but he's dead...

Jon was not promised to anyone...

it's this word 'promise' i'm not sure about... it's used regularly when talking about marriages... or are people still assuming that the 'promise' referred to was that they will defeat the great other?

Just thinking about tPwwP...

Can we now say for sure that Dany is the Princess who was promised... as she was literally promised to marry Quentin Martell?

Aegon wasn't promised to anyone...

Viserys was promised to Arianne Martell... but he's dead...

Jon was not promised to anyone...

it's this word 'promise' i'm not sure about... it's used regularly when talking about marriages... or are people still assuming that the 'promise' referred to was that they will defeat the great other?

Dany was never promised to Quentyn Martell.

And I do not believe the "promise" is in any way connected with marriage promises in this case. I think it is about "promised by a prophecy" as in "the Prince will come and save everybody".

I brought this up on R+L=J, but to reiterate here...

When I read the book I had images of characters in my head. The clearest of them was Robert looking like Prince Vultan from Flash Gordon (1980 movie).

brianblessed_flashgordon_vultan.jpg

I also pictured Rob to look like Peter from Chronicles of Narnia, and Bran to look like Edmund.

What do you guys think?

I brought this up on R+L=J, but to reiterate here...

When I read the book I had images of characters in my head. The clearest of them was Robert looking like Prince Vultan from Flash Gordon (1980 movie).

I also pictured Rob to look like Peter from Chronicles of Narnia, and Bran to look like Edmund.

What do you guys think?

this is a nice subject I think it would make a nice topic!

This regards Areo Hotah's first chapter in Feast. Towards the end of the chapter Tyene raises a hand and Hotah thumps his axe on the ground and tells her to back off. Next thing the Maester comes running and looks at his palms and the back of his hand. It never says what she did though or I'm just reading it wrong. Did she prick him with her needles? Something else?

This regards Areo Hotah's first chapter in Feast. Towards the end of the chapter Tyene raises a hand and Hotah thumps his axe on the ground and tells her to back off. Next thing the Maester comes running and looks at his palms and the back of his hand. It never says what she did though or I'm just reading it wrong. Did she prick him with her needles? Something else?

Yes, the Maester sniffs his hand too. Either the needles or the blessing was the suspect thing to Caleotte. Tyene shows him the embroidery and Doran never appears to hold it or touch it.

But Doran hesitates when she asks for his blessing. Why would he be scared to place his hands on her head? She asks if he loves her and he says yes immediately . She asks for his blessing and he freezes for a second. I have a feeling Caleotte was worried there was something poky and bad in her hair:)

I bet poisonous hairpins might be in their arsenal of weapons:)

The Long Night- is this a ONE Time event in history, from when the Others first attacked and the sun hid for years? Or does this Long Night come every winter?

Also, somebody said GRRM told everyone he'd reveal the reason for season disparity at the end of the series. I was unaware of this, does anyone know where he said that?

Archived