Bran Stark - the next White Walker?

David C. Hunter

Hey yall. Crackpot theory. Straight to the point. Is it possible that Bran is in the middle of a transformation of turning into an Other/White Walker?

Many theories are going around saying that maybe the Starks are always supposed to sacrifice their firstborn child, much like what Craster was doing beyond the Wall(Who many believe is also a Stark).

Rob is dead and Jon is a bastard so Bran Stark is the next one up. Another question is brings up is how did Craster trade with the Others? Did they walk up to his house and knock on the door or did they send one of their minions like 'Coldhands' to retrieve the child? Much like the same way coldhands seeked up Bran?

As of right now, Bran is living in a cave which is filled with Bones, surrounded by COTF and is the understudy of one of the most powerful warg/greenseers in the world. They are also surrounded by Wights. We dont know the reason why Bran is there. Presumably to unlock his hidden potential. For what purpose? I doubt its because they 'care' for him, but for mutual gain.

Now Bran is having visions of human sacrifices and tasting blood in his mouth from the paste, many who have suspected that it is the blood of his old friend jojen. Whatever the case, jojen is extremely depressed the entire time in the caves and no matter what anyone says, I dont like the COTF and I dont trust them. They behave like aliens to me more than creatures of 'elvish' lore.

So what do yall think? This is a crackpot theory of course

For all the talk of Bran turning 'evil' or turning to the side of ice and winter, I can't help but feel that a boy who would call his wolf Summer must have some resistance to being turned to the cold side.

As for Craster's sons, I am pretty sure he just left them to die of exposure by dumping them out in the cold. I doubt there was any contract signed saying that "If you, Craster, give to us, The Others, X number of male infants a year we will leave you and your wives unharmed". It is more like Craster just wanted to be the only male in his compound so he dumped his sons. By happy coincidence the Others left Craster and his daughter/wives alone after that. Now Craster tells his womenfolk that the sons are offerings to the Others, thereby justifying his murders to himself and his women.

For all the talk of Bran turning 'evil' or turning to the side of ice and winter, I can't help but feel that a boy who would call his wolf Summer must have some resistance to being turned to the cold side.

I'd call that irony.

But everyone, even the most brutal of killers known to mankind, were once innocent children. What Bran was before he was corrupted is irrelevant.

However, that's not to say that I think he will become "evil", per se, as I don't think it's a clear-cut, black and white issue.

Rather, it's a question of perspective; one side vs. the other. Bran will champion the CotF against the "realm of men", which mankind will view as "evil", but the CotF certainly will not. So, it all depends on who you're rooting for.

And consider this; I wouldn't compare Bran to a serial killer at all (I only used the example to illustrate the fact that innocent children don't stay innocent forever). Bran is never going to turn into a sadistic monster, IMO, as the word "evil" implies. Rather, he will believe in his mind that his cause is the righteous one. He'll never see himself as evil at all. In his mind, he'll be doing the right thing.

For all the talk of Bran turning 'evil' or turning to the side of ice and winter, I can't help but feel that a boy who would call his wolf Summer must have some resistance to being turned to the cold side

Thats like saying that roose bolton cant be evil because he named his pet leach carl.

At least come up with something better than that, I dont think bran will be evil, but useing the others to get justice for his family I could see. Also name one thing so far that bran has done that has been heroic or good. I couldnt think of much, but I can come up with a ton of stuff that points the OTHER way. Also he comes from the line of the Kings of Winter I think he is on the the cold side.

Thats like saying that roose bolton cant be evil because he named his pet leach carl.

At least come up with something better than that, I dont think bran will be evil, but useing the others to get justice for his family I could see. Also name one think so far that bran has done that has been heroic or good. I couldnt think of much, but I can come up with a ton of stuff that points the OTHER way. Also he comes from the line of the Kings of Winter I think he is on the the cold side.

Alright, alright, keep your wig on! It was just something I thought of the other day (the Summer thing).

I am not a Bran fan, not that I hate him or anything, he simply doesn't interest me much. I usually don't comment on Bran-themed threads because I don't have much to say about him. Just wanted to put the Summer thing out there - now I will back away s-l-o-w-l-y...

Personally I think Bran will become the warger/ leader of the others to take revenge for his family. There is no other reason why he would be there. Even if the COTF aren't working with the Others it seems like. Oth factions have similar goals. Btw when I said bran transforming into an Other, I meant more internally than physically

Bran wouldn't name his wolf without a long deliberation. The name Summer seemed to have appeared to him as a revelation in dream. It was even the final word of a chapter. I agree with Jem that it is significant.

It is remarkable that Bran was such a dutiful Stark in Winterfell in spite of his handicap, his young age, his despair, the contempt and pity he would see in the eyes around him. But, I fear his resentment of injustice could lead him to dark deeds.

Personally I think Bran will become the warger/ leader of the others to take revenge for his family. There is no other reason why he would be there. Even if the COTF aren't working with the Others it seems like. Oth factions have similar goals. Btw when I said bran transforming into an Other, I meant more internally than physically

At least come up with something better than that, I dont think bran will be evil, but useing the others to get justice for his family I could see. Also name one thing so far that bran has done that has been heroic or good. I couldnt think of much, but I can come up with a ton of stuff that points the OTHER way. Also he comes from the line of the Kings of Winter I think he is on the the cold side.

You're right, he hasn't been that heroic so far at all. Hearing Ned die didn't fill him hatred towards the Lannisters, or need to bring justice on them, or anything like that. My biggest disappointment Branwise is lack of strong opinions about the War (or for that matter, this whole becoming tree thing he's resigning himself too), so for us to revisit him and see him having gone all Lady Stoneheart on us, I can't see that happening.

For Catelyn, who just lost it when Bran got hurt, ended up being a not so nice person to Jon and not being able to take care Rickon, made an oath to "kill them all" together with her 14 year old son, and ripped her face off in despair when Robb died, Lady Stoneheart was the natural conclusion of where she was going.

Bran is not set up to be that guy. We've seen Martin set up such a character, very different from Bran. Hell, the first thing he was taught was "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." This would be the opposite of that, ssending an army to kill a whole bunch of people very far away.

I'd call that irony.

But everyone, even the most brutal of killers known to mankind, were once innocent children. What Bran was before he was corrupted is irrelevant.

However, that's not to say that I think he will become "evil", per se, as I don't think it's a clear-cut, black and white issue.

Rather, it's a question of perspective; one side vs. the other. Bran will champion the CotF against the "realm of men", which mankind will view as "evil", but the CotF certainly will not. So, it all depends on who you're rooting for.

And consider this; I wouldn't compare Bran to a serial killer at all (I only used the example to illustrate the fact that innocent children don't stay innocent forever). Bran is never going to turn into a sadistic monster, IMO, as the word "evil" implies. Rather, he will believe in his mind that his cause is the righteous one. He'll never see himself as evil at all. In his mind, he'll be doing the right thing.

Before he was evil? I think Bran is far from that at the end of ADWD.

Are you actually reading the book, or inventing your own fantasy story as your skim through.

Before he was evil? I think Bran is far from that at the end of ADWD.

Are you actually reading the book, or inventing your own fantasy story as your skim through.

did you even read what he said. He said he didnt think bran was evil. He said IF Bran goes over to the darkside that it wouldnt matter what he did as a kid.

What would ned say about warging in to another human agaist there will? What woud He say about eating human flesh as a wolf?

Nothing good, but the former is a crime Bran just isn't fully realizing how wrong it is the latter is Summer doing it, with Bran inside his head, not Bran making Summer do it (and even if he did, this is the Far North at wintertime, you can be picky about your food or die, no inbetween).

Deciding that destroying the Seven Realms is the right thing to do something I'd say he'd have to feel strongly about, rather then justsomething he's going along with. And save for possessing Hodor, going along with what somebody else wants is all that Bran has been about so far.

You can blame the south for this honestly. The north never had any ambitions of conquering the iron throne, they just wanted to be free of southern rule/influence. Now when the north and thus winter comes it will cover the 7 kingdoms. Like wise when the targaryans come(aegon, dany, dragons etc) they will move against the north for conquest probably ignoring good council and burning everything in sight. But the north will probably stay true to the ultimate which is to get the south out of the north and river lands, but I doubt dany or aegon will

Accept a separate northern kingdom and just like Napoleon and hitler they will try to march in the north and winter, bran, COTF, others, Starks, flying camels will utterly destroy them, even the precious dragons.

If bran takes control of the white walkers it will be to free the north and river lands from southern influences and the dragons, then prepare to solidly food and shelter for the long winter. The dragons will be the invaders

The short answer to the OP is that I don't think Bran is going to be a White Walker firstly as he's going down another path and on his way to becoming a Greenseer, and secondly because the Starks are not giving up their first-born to become White Walkers. While I have a shrewd suspicion that there is indeed a link between the Starks and the White Walkers, if this is indeed the case its the younger sons like Benjen who go north, while the first-born inherits.

Either way the question of whether the White Walkers are evil are, as we've discussed, a subjective one and after all they are the guys wearing the white hats :cool4:

Bran is 10 and paralytic. I don't think that he could wield his sword and save all the damsels in distress of the North. I find him saving Jon from the wildlings heroic. Deciding to go beyond the Wall to find the 3EC is very ballsy, too.

I cannot say what exactly Bran is transforming into, in this series we see that anything is called with many names, and often similar but different things can be interpretated to be the same by someone, inside or outside of the fiction: in the forums many of us have "surely identified" everything and its opposite as being all that we wanted or thought or understood. It is to say: it is not totally clear to me that a Greenseer is what Bloodraven has become or what Jojen is.

To the point: I cannot say if Bran is in the process of becoming a White Walker because I do not know what a White Walker is.

If a White Walker is a sleeping undead, awaken by the sacrifice of a living child (Craster's?) to some end that was meaningful for the ones who did it, or if a White Walker is an extradimensional being I do not know. I may suspect, but I do not know.

My question is: what a white walker is?

It would different if the thread question was: "Is Bran transforming into an initiate being, in contact with ancient, secret lore about the world and the history of his land, country and family, which includes the percieved need of some form of sacrifice and is somehow connected to strange trees, caves, winter, blood and darkness?"

It would be a less appalling thread title, but I'd answer with a quick: "yes".

Again: what a white walker is?

• 10 months later...

Reading Arya's chapters in ACOK makes me believe that Bran and Arya are just kids living in thier messed up world, getting into whatever they come across(Arya:FacelessMen; Bran:COTF). Jaqen calls Arya an evil child, but she thinks she is a wolf and the ghost of harrenhal. They don't know whats happening but they just keep going because if they look back they are lost (Dany is the only one who says it out loud lol) But I think they both have a high possiblilty of joining a NEGATIVE side not evil, per se, and they will join only because they are ignorant of other happenings in the world of ice and fire.

Archived