The greatest comic writers?

Sci-2

One name, two words; ALAN MOORE!!!

Second I would say is Morrison. And, let me say this, I fucking hate Morrison. I hate everything this guy has ever written. I tried reading it and can not stand it at all, but, I will totally give him credit for his work even though it's totally, not my style. I would say gaiman is third overall. If gaiman had more out there besides ho's sandman stuff he would shoot up to second on my list but he does not so I have to place him (kicking and screaming) behind Morrison.

I know it's a style thing (my hatred of Morrison) I wish I could get over it, I keep trying but just can't do it. I know, it's totally my loss. Maybe one day I'll get "sucked in" by Morrison, I really hope so.

That's my top three.

HP, I think you've misinterpreted the word 'comic'. ;)

(Though it must be said that the comic adaptations of the Stainless Steel Rat books that ran in 2000AD were my introduction to Harry Harrison's works and they are excellent. Kelvin Gosnell wrote the adaptation, but the wonderfully talented Carlos Ezquerra was responsible for the art, which remain my defining mental images of the characters.)

As for the rest: Moore can't be challenged as one of the best ever. His range, his ability to work closely and successfully with artists of very different styles and methods of working, his level of detail and attention to structure, willingness to push the boundaries and ability to redefine the genre... I love Morrison's work, but in terms of importance to the medium he's got a long way to go to match Moore. (Moore does have his flaws, as a writer, but they're dwarfed by his ability.)

1980s/early 90s Frank Miller was hugely influential and talented also. His recent work is craptastic, a bad parody of what he did earlier, but it can't take away from the significance of his run on Daredevil, from Give Me Liberty, Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight, or the original Sin City. These are definitive works that no comics writer or fan should avoid, no matter what they think of the man or what he writes these days.

Garth Ennis can be great or he can be crass and awful, often in the same issue.

Grant Morrison is a great writer, but could you honestly say he has ever written anything that is definitive or genre-changing? Arkham Asylum, maybe? The sheer experimental joy of Doom Patrol, Zenith, The Invisibles, Flex Mentallo, Sebastian O, Animal Man and his other 'weird' comics are wonderful and he writes a very solid 'straight' superhero series too, but Morrison's importance is as much about his consistency and breadth as his originality. He really understands both 'straight' superhero comics and the 'alternative' series too, which is rare.

ETA - on Gaiman, recall that Sandman followed his run on Miracleman, taking over from Moore. Even if you regard Sandman as 'one hit', Gaiman's MM run was significantly different, and critically admired. Then there's Violent Cases, Mr Punch, the original Books of Magic mini-series, and Black Orchid. No one-hit wonder he.

Honorable mentions: Pete Milligan, the Hernandez brothers, Art Spiegelman (was there any series more important to making 'alternative' comics viable than Maus?)

No love for Christin, Goscinny, etc.?
I think most of the posters in this thread are just ignorant of European comics (not an insult, just a statement of facts)

Much love for Jean Giraud and Enki Bilal from me, these two are the most influential recent authors I can think of. Breaking out of genre or structure, making the medium evolve, and new author want to follow. <3 L'Incal, Blueberry, Nikopol.

I could also mention Sattouf or Satrapi, for outstanding use of the medium, in recent years.

Now, there are also those like Tardi, F'murr, Godard, Bourgeon and Loisel and many others: just like Christin/meziere or Uderzo/Goscinny, they have a place in the pantheon, but there are too many good ones to mention them all.

HP, I think you've misinterpreted the word 'comic'. ;)

Can someone please help me get this egg on my face off of it?

The really funny thing is, When Frank Miller was mentioned earlier in the thread, I thought that he must have written some humerus stories before he started to ink graphic novels.

My favorites (Ellis and Moore) have been mentioned multiple times, but I'm going to second Kalbear's callout of Matt Fraction. I've idly followed his work for awhile, and I really enjoyed the off-beat first volume of Casanova. Not sure if that fits the thread title of "Greatest" (I am generally uncomfortable calling anything "greatest"), but I think he has done some interesting work. I haven't been following this medium for a couple of years now (too busy, and not nearly enough room in the apartment to store the issues), alas.

ETA: I haven't checked out any of Siddell's work, but now I think I will have to. :)

Certainly. I don't see him mentioned around here very often, but what he has done with Gunnerkrigg Court is really quite astounding. He's developed such a personal and immersive world. Writing and drawing it himself for so long takes stamina, and if we're basing our judgements on "risk-taking", "trying to see what the medium can accomplish", and especially "innovative use of panels", Tom has a case.

I love me some Gunnerkrigg Court. The art is fantastic, especially some of the use of panels as you mentioned, not to mention the general way that the art shifts styles in certain situations to enhance the narrative. The writing is also fantastic with some really interesting characters and dialogue.

moore is an obvious one. everyone loves him.

morrison has always been interesting, but a lot of his work is jumbled and overworked resulting in stories too complex with competing ideas.

brian azzarello has not made a list yet. i would put him as a favorite.

ennis is on my list.

as much of a hammer of writing frank miller can be i will put him in the conversation.

ETA: I haven't checked out any of Siddell's work, but now I think I will have to. :)
I feel obligated to put a damper on the overall enthusiasm and play devil's advocate here: It is a webcomic that is quite interesting but story and art wise it's not worth being compared to the best in the comics field.

"Innovative use of panels" is really nothing most mangas don't already do. In fact the light-hearted slice of life in secondary world with magic angle is really reminiscent of standard-sih manga fare.

I think most of the posters in this thread are just ignorant of European comics (not an insult, just a statement of facts)

Much love for Jean Giraud and Enki Bilal from me, these two are the most influential recent authors I can think of. Breaking out of genre or structure, making the medium evolve, and new author want to follow. <3 L'Incal, Blueberry, Nikopol.

I could also mention Sattouf or Satrapi, for outstanding use of the medium, in recent years.

Now, there are also those like Tardi, F'murr, Godard, Bourgeon and Loisel and many others: just like Christin/meziere or Uderzo/Goscinny, they have a place in the pantheon, but there are too many good ones to mention them all.

Oooh, forgot all about Satrapi, Bilal & Giraud. Was going to mention Bourgeon but I couldn't remember how to spell the damn name :P

Sims seems like he should be on here, just for the achievement that is Cerebus.

I'm sure i'll get shit for that one, due to the fact the guy is a fucking loon.

Dave Sim is a little like Frank Miller - a writer who screwed up his own work with the later instalments, written after a hefty dose of crazy took hold. Unlike Miller, however, he hasn't really got a claim to be a significant writer in the field despite that. Partly this is because the early books of Cerebus simply aren't as important or influential as any of the Miller books I mentioned. Partly it's because you can't separate them from the later as easily as you can take The Dark Knight Strikes Again away and leave The Dark Knight Returns. But regardless, it's clear that Dave Sim is ultimately not one of 'the greatest'.

Dave Sim is a little like Frank Miller - a writer who screwed up his own work with the later instalments, written after a hefty dose of crazy took hold. Unlike Miller, however, he hasn't really got a claim to be a significant writer in the field despite that. Partly this is because the early books of Cerebus simply aren't as important or influential as any of the Miller books I mentioned. Partly it's because you can't separate them from the later as easily as you can take The Dark Knight Strikes Again away and leave The Dark Knight Returns. But regardless, it's clear that Dave Sim is ultimately not one of 'the greatest'.

You know, i'm not that passionate about my like of Sim, so i'm not going to argue the point.

Grant Morrison is a great writer, but could you honestly say he has ever written anything that is definitive or genre-changing? Arkham Asylum, maybe? The sheer experimental joy of Doom Patrol, Zenith, The Invisibles, Flex Mentallo, Sebastian O, Animal Man and his other 'weird' comics are wonderful and he writes a very solid 'straight' superhero series too, but Morrison's importance is as much about his consistency and breadth as his originality. He really understands both 'straight' superhero comics and the 'alternative' series too, which is rare.

Not a big Morrison fan in general, but I did love his run on Animal Man. Very fun and quite original. Good stuff, Maynard. Thanks for the reminder, Mormont.

As for the rest: Moore can't be challenged as one of the best ever. His range, his ability to work closely and successfully with artists of very different styles and methods of working, his level of detail and attention to structure, willingness to push the boundaries and ability to redefine the genre.

Curious if you could give examples. Mind you, my intention is not to prove you wrong, I find myself leaning back to Moore I am just interested in hearing people talk about the craft wrt the medium.

thanks,

Sci

um.. I also find Terry Moore and J Michael Straczynski to write up some damn fine comics... and CLAMP are queens of manga (even if in last 5 years they've basically become fanfic versions of themselves)

I feel obligated to put a damper on the overall enthusiasm and play devil's advocate here: It is a webcomic that is quite interesting but story and art wise it's not worth being compared to the best in the comics field.

I heartily disagree with you about the story. It's hardly finished yet. We haven't gotten close to revealing all the mysteries in the court. But based on how well he has handled all the inter-weaving storylines so far, and his mastery of character and tone, my recommendation is provisional on how he finishes, but optimistic that he is telling a great story.

Art-wise, yes, it's been a growth process, and sometimes it doesn't match up to comics that are company-funded and have paid artists, inkers, and colorers. But Tom knows how to present a scene and use panels to their best advantage. And his art is always serviceable, and often incredibly fun to look at.

In terms of impact on the comic scene, I'd say he's changed the playing field just by existing. Comic book stores around the world aren't selling out his stuff, companies aren't looking to Tom for guidance, but he was one of the first major webcomics around, certainly one of the best, and he's helped pave the way for the internet as a medium for getting comics out there. I won't say that without Gunnerkrigg Court, Warren Ellis wouldn't have done Freakangels, but Tom's an example at the forefront of the medium. That's impact.

As I don't think it's actually been made clear for the uninitiated, Tom Siddell writes a webcomic, Gunnerkrigg Court, which you can read here. And I must agree with TIA, in terms of tone and pacing it's masterful (though the pace can feel slow once you're caught up, since the installments are so short).

Also worth noting in the field of long-form story webcomics is Order of the Stick, worth reading for many many reasons but notable especially for its genius in breaking, climbing over, leaning on, painting and hanging lampshades on the fourth wall. It starts off with some fairly basic game-based humour, but before long it really gets going and it's great.

On Webcomics, FreakAngels is at the same time a brilliant thing and a shame. It's brilliant right up until Luke's Speech (those who've read it know what I mean I hope), at which point it's just tailing of to an obvious and anticlimactic end.

I should read more European comics really. The only one I know apart from Asterix and Tintin is Thorgal, by Van Hamme and Rosinsky.

Archived