The Wheel of Time is complete!

fionwe1987

RJ is a hack and a sellout! :leaving:

:) I remember those days, seeing the WoT thread at the top of the forum and nearly splitting an eyeball trying to read OsRavan's posts.

2012 is going to be a good year.

Before it all ends.

Does this mean 2012 will be the year that OsRavan breaks through the seals and envelops the Westeros pattern? :P

Not the most smooth writing, but who else thinks that this closing prophesy from ToM is just one more sign that some really dark and doomy stuff is in store in aMoL?

I guess that depends on your defintion of "dark and gloomy".

My prediction is that WoT will end much like The Dark Tower.

Rand will get to the climatic encounter, go through a door, and we'll all find ourselves back in the Two Rivers, with "The Wheel" starting all over again, 14 volumes to go!

Now THAT's gloomy!

:devil:

Does this mean 2012 will be the year that OsRavan breaks through the seals and envelops the Westeros pattern? :P

A wind moved through the forum early in 2012, blowing away all rules of grammar and punctuation....

An internet debate began about the literary merits of Robert Jordan.

It was neither the beginning nor the ending, for there are no beginnings or endings in the turnings of internet debates.

It was a beginning.

the WoT world is as well developed and interesting as any i've read, and i love spending time there.

The world is indeed interesting. It's too bad that for several books, nothing interesting happens in that interesting world. When I go see a play, I don't want to just stare at a pretty set while the actors are busying brushing their teeth and picking their noses, you know? Besides, by book 7, almost all the major culture strands have been defined and explored, except for maybe the Sencheans and the Sea Folks.

But still, glad you enjoyed them books. :)

Re: LL

Nah, TP. I mean this in a non-snarky, non-GRRM-is-my-bitch sort of way: I don't expect it'll be finished, ever. George has other projects that he loves and that's okay. I want him to live to be 130 and only work on things he loves and if those aren't GoT, then I'm just happy he's happy.

Yes I am okay with it, too, but that's mostly because I see ASoIaF more or less as an ex with whom I'm on very friendly terms where we occasionally get together for dinner and a fuck. Some days I'll miss it, but most days I don't. When I do miss it, I txt it for some no-strings attached mutual satisfaction, and then we're done for a few more months. Meanwhile, we're both seeing other people and enjoying life. Not a bad type of relationship to be in, imo.

My prediction is that WoT will end much like The Dark Tower.

Ah, come on, man. Don't curse the series, and throw on some spoilers.

I can't wait to read this. Most anticipated read for next year, by a long shot. Good on BS for producing the ending. The man deserves a great deal of credit.

Ah, come on, man. Don't curse the series, and throw on some spoilers.

I can't wait to read this. Most anticipated read for next year, by a long shot. Good on BS for producing the ending. The man deserves a great deal of credit.

Aw, crap, you're right about the spoiler thingy. Let me go back and change that....

FWIW, I do plan on finishing WoT, though without the reread, and while still skipping those ones I skipped. And I agree on Sanderson He did about as good a job as you can do in capturing the voice of a different author. Not a perfect "imitation", but very, very good.

Well, seeing I absolutely love the mistborn series and the way of kings I am going to read through all of WOT this year. I have read the first 3 1/2 books but I don't remember crap so I'm gonna reread them all in a row to be prepared for the last book. Anyone else want to tackle this massive task with me. I'd love to have a group of people to do this with. New or old readers, we could have some great conversations about the books as we finish them. Any takers?

I remember quitting during the third book. Reason? I was only a 12-year-old kid and couldn't read English so well by then. Now I'm routinely handling conference calls with American customers...

While the extremely long writing time is easy to make fun of, I think it's sort of encouraging that things like these are possible. Patience is still alive in these times. I'm almost wondering if I shouldn't try to find a copy of the books and read them all when the last one is out. It's a uniquely long piece of story, even longer than Prousts' À la recherche du temps perdu, and viewed as one single novel (as well it could) it's one of the longest ones ever published. It has paved the way for multi-piece fantasy series in a way that ASoIaF, among many others, have benefited greatly from (a fact that GRRM himself has pointed out that he's thankful for).

Stop calling it GoT. fucking fl00bs.

Thank you for addressing that, john.

Lo, it shall come upon the world that the prison of the Greatest One shall grow weak,

like the limbs of those who crafted it. Once again, His glorious cloak shall smother the

Pattern of all things, and the Great Lord shall stretch forth His hand to claim what is His.

The rebellious nations shall be laid barren, their children caused to weep. There shall be

none but Him, and those who have turned their eyes to His majesty.

In that day, when the One-Eyed Fool travels the halls of mourning, and the First Among

Vermin lifts his hand to bring freedom to Him who will Destroy, the last days of the

Fallen Blacksmith's pride shall come. Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death

has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction

shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.

And then, shall the Lord of the Evening come. And He shall take our eyes, for our souls

shall bow before Him, and He shall take our skin, for our flesh shall serve Him, and He

shall take our lips, for only Him will we praise. And the Lord of the Evening shall face the

Broken Champion, and shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Let

the screams begin, O followers of the Shadow. Beg for your destruction!

-from The Prophecies of the Shadow

Not the most smooth writing, but who else thinks that this closing prophesy from ToM is just one more sign that some really dark and doomy stuff is in store in aMoL?

Yeah, I think it's going to get super dark and doomy. Right before everyone dances through a field of flowers and defeat evil with the power of their friendship and heart.

Yeah, I think it's going to get super dark and doomy. Right before everyone dances through a field of flowers and defeat evil with the power of their friendship and heart.

That is the long and short of my thoughts as well. Though RJ was never about dark and gritty. Harry Potter is darker and grittier than WoT. But I still love the series and am very much looking forward to the end. Sanderson knows how to write a climax, and hopefully this book will be packed with them.

I can't imagine skipping the Towers of Midnight. It has Mat being awesome in it.

Mat being awesome is like the one thing that makes the series really worthwhile. The worst book is the one he doesn't appear in, because it's dedicated to Perrin being a git and not doing anything.

If it really gets to you then just read all the rand, mat and perrin chapters in order. Then It's consistently decent with suprisingly minimal plot gaps.

That's exactly how I am doing my recent re-read. I read books 1-3 in their entirety. For books 4-11 I am only reading the chapters that Rand, Mat, or Perrin appear in. I've blazed through the books this way and it has been a much more enjoyable, cohesive read, with a much tighter plot. I know some diehards will disagree, but you really don't miss anything skipping the powerpuff girls chapters and the insignificant extras that pop up from time-to-time. If anything, it is more interesting to read Rand, Mat, or Perrin's view on things, that are sometimes incorrect, due to fog of war. I treat the Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne chapters like an appendix.

Sanderson has been great for the series. Gathering Storm is one of my favorites, and Towers of Midnight was great as well. So no!! Don't skip them unless you want to skip maybe the best part of the series.

That's exactly how I am doing my recent re-read. I read books 1-3 in their entirety. For books 4-11 I am only reading the chapters that Rand, Mat, or Perrin appear in. I've blazed through the books this way and it has been a much more enjoyable, cohesive read, with a much tighter plot. I know some diehards will disagree, but you really don't miss anything skipping the powerpuff girls chapters and the insignificant extras that pop up from time-to-time. If anything, it is more interesting to read Rand, Mat, or Perrin's view on things, that are sometimes incorrect, due to fog of war. I treat the Egwene, Nynaeve, Elayne chapters like an appendix.

Sanderson has been great for the series. Gathering Storm is one of my favorites, and Towers of Midnight was great as well. So no!! Don't skip them unless you want to skip maybe the best part of the series.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. It's a shame that literally none of the female characters in WoT are even remotely interesting. They're all just pieces of girl-power cardboard posters and actually quite annoying. None of them do anything interesting that isn't seen 3 books off and completely stereotypical.

I think anyone who skips Egwene and Nynaeve chapters in particular is going to be completely blindsided in the finale. In some ways, they're more central characters than Perrin and Mat.

Egwene has just become a main character in a role that was already filled, and Nynaeve has become Egwene's bitch. How are they important? Egwene isn't going to do anything different from what Siuane and whatsher-face (the evil one, I want to say Eladia?) were doing. Granted, I'm rather interested in knowing what magical heart-felt bonds of friendship will result in the absorbing of the Black Tower, and how the issues will be resolved between Rand and the world's most mediocre collection of political schemers. A.K.A. The White Tower Sisterhood of the Traveling Pent-Up-Sexual-Frustrations. But those things aren't interesting because of the Saidar Puff Girls, they're interesting in spite of them.

Egwene has just become a main character in a role that was already filled,

By whom was this filled, exactly?

and Nynaeve has become Egwene's bitch. How are they important?

Well, no matter what you think of the power dynamic between Nynaeve and Egwene, Nynaeve remains a higely important channeler simply because she's the only one with certain very crucial skills that will play a big role in some very central prophesies associated with the end. If Rand has to die to live, you can bet your ass Nynaeve is going to be involved. If someone has to detect and destroy his link to Moridin, you can bet your ass Nynaeve will be involved. If someone has to finally destroy the taint in his brain and sever his link to the Dark One (which gives him access to the True Power), you can bet your ass Nynave will be the one to do it... Need I go on? Not to mention, she remains the only character with the most realistic idea of the flaws of the Aes Sedai, and the one likely to set them on the right path.

As for Egwene... does the critical importance of her talents in the World of Dreams need to be mentioned? Hasn't the mountain of foreshadowing done its job?

Egwene isn't going to do anything different from what Siuane and whatsher-face (the evil one, I want to say Eladia?) were doing.

Then you haven't read the books. In fact, since you claim you never pay attention to these parts of the books, there's no way for you to know how that statement makes no sense.

Granted, I'm rather interested in knowing what magical heart-felt bonds of friendship will result in the absorbing of the Black Tower, and how the issues will be resolved between Rand and the world's most mediocre collection of political schemers. A.K.A. The White Tower Sisterhood of the Traveling Pent-Up-Sexual-Frustrations. But those things aren't interesting because of the Saidar Puff Girls, they're interesting in spite of them.

Yea... no.

I hope that there will be no more fan fiction. BS's books are horrible.

In short, BS, you have got your 15 minutes fame, leave the series alone, move along.

And thanks for butchering WoT.

2012 : the last fanfiction in hardcover

2013: the last fanfiction in paperback

2014-2015: RJ' original, untouched materials in hardcover without any bs from BS (If they will include BS's "thoughts", then i will cut them out.)

Archived