Game of Thrones RPG Official Site Opens, 2nd Trailer

Westeros

I think they are using Skyrim as a buzzword because that game sold a lot.

Skyrim is an open world, this will be a linear world.

Skyrim has a dozen races, this has 2 specific guys that you both play and can be each have 1 of 3 styles.

Skyrim can be played as you like, this will have specific task to carry out if you want to move forward.

Skyrim has 18 skill sets to develop, this will most likely have less.

Skyrim has a big focus on dragons, this game takes place before dragons came back.

Anyone expecting Skyrim out of this game will be heavily disappointed.

Skyrim has a dozen races, this has 2 specific guys that you both play and can be each have 1 of 3 styles.

Skyrim can be played as you like, this will have specific task to carry out if you want to move forward.

Skyrim has a big focus on dragons, this game takes place before dragons came back.

I will be disappointed if it's too much like Skyrim.

Though I expect the game to be disappoitning regardless, the track record of turning a book / TV series into a video game isn't that flash.

I should get some family member in the USA to enter the comp to win the game. As I have a PS3 it means games are not region locked.

2nd....sigh

http://www.ign.com/a...w#disqus_thread

i'm so mad at George for giving his brilliant story to these MICKEY MOUSE developers. They've ruined 2 games based on the IP already. It's really sad because they say the story is amazing but the rest of the game is so shitty you can't even appreciate it. Unfortunately he's clueless about gaming(he admitted as much) so he didn't realize what could happen in the end.

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. such wasted potential. it's like that nephew/cousin you want to smack upside the head because he's brilliant but doesn't try

We're giving away 100 copies of the Game of Thrones video game to our readers for every version.Game Of Thrones, the new roleplaying video game based on the popular HBO TV series and internationally bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire book series, is coming to Xbox 360, PS3 and PC May 15. Featuring many familiar locations from the books and likenesses from the TV series, Game of Thrones also delves into a new storyline for fans to discover while immersed in 30-plus hours of original game play.

Check the site here -

http://adfoc.us/402395491855

"Most other fantasy" could be. But A Song of Ice and Fire is the specific example cited by several developers that inspired them. ASoIaF is not LotR -- so what are the differences that made them cite it over LotR or other fantasy? Mostly it's the "gritty realism" aspect of ASoIaF, and the interpersonal dynamics.

ETA: Here's a 1UP article from 2008. There are others:

Like I said, to call DA a "rip-off" is very much overboard. But that they were directly inspired by ASoIaF moreso than LotR is unquestionable, since the aspects of ASoIaF that inspired them simply aren't features of LotR.

What features would those be? Also; there would be no ASOIAF without Lord of The Rings.

2nd....sigh

http://www.ign.com/a...w#disqus_thread

i'm so mad at George for giving his brilliant story to these MICKEY MOUSE developers. They've ruined 2 games based on the IP already. It's really sad because they say the story is amazing but the rest of the game is so shitty you can't even appreciate it. Unfortunately he's clueless about gaming(he admitted as much) so he didn't realize what could happen in the end.

gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. such wasted potential. it's like that nephew/cousin you want to smack upside the head because he's brilliant but doesn't try

Take what IGN says with a pinch of salt if I were you. these are the 3 reviews so far 1 positive, 2 negative:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/108117-game-of-thrones-reviews.html

I've been playing the game for our site as well and our review should go up shortly.

It's just unfortunate that no one seems to ever create a good licensed video game, outside of maybe the last couple of Batmans. GRRM had some initial meetings with Cyanide to help lay out the game and its plot, and while you can definitely see where his influence is it's also easy to see where the development team took the reigns and interpreted it.

As an aside, I think one of the reasons Skyrim was so popular was because of the popularity of Game of Thrones. It was a perfect storm for swords and dragons last year. :)

As an aside, I think one of the reasons Skyrim was so popular was because of the popularity of Game of Thrones. It was a perfect storm for swords and dragons last year. :)

I don't think that has all that much to do with it. 2006's Oblivion sold millions of copies well before the television series. With 2003's Morrowind the Elder Scrolls series really started to pick up in popularity. It's a series that actually predates the A Game of Thrones book by two years.

George should've sold the rights to a company like Rockstar.

Imagine if they would create the entire Westeros continent as it actually is with every city and every small town along the way.

Free roaming across the whole map. Missions here, side-missions there, work your way up from being a squire to a knight or lord for example.

Or maybe I've been playing the GTA collection and RDR too much?

Archived