NBA 2011-2012 Season

The Imp's Advocate

Wow, two fantastic games so far with Celtics-Knicks and Bulls-Lakers.

Bulls collapsed, but did a great job coming back and pulling out a win. D-ROSE! MVP! and Deng was huge in that game too.

I never expected the Celtics to lose by a lot, since they're tough veterans and it's just opening day; they put up a good fight. The Knicks predictably haven't figured everything out yet, but Mello's talent carried them to victory.

The Dallas blowout was depressing, the Heat are looking very good for the post-season. Hungrier stars, and a better supporting cast.

Today has been great so far. Totally on board with the NBA right now, this is exciting.

As a Maverick fan, I would like to say that the Heat represented themselves impeccably yesterday... for a team to stand there and have to watch a championship banner raised that they lost last year had to be hard. They handled it with class. Then they came out on the floor, and the best players in the game played as a team. I was impressed.

As for my Mavericks, why is Odom here and Chandler gone? This may be the worst shuffle in the league this year.

I'm in San Francisco for Christmas visiting my parents, and have managed to procure tickets for Bulls-Warriors today. The last NBA game I went to was Nets-Raptors in London, which while fun (what with it being a triple overtime game and all), was missing a certain something by being played in front of a largely ignorant crowd with no real allegiance to either team. Plus, in this match there will actually be some good players (Sorry D-Will, didn't mean you). Should be awesome! :)

ST

Wow, the Warriors are really on track to become the Davids of the early season, taking down the complacent Goliaths of the Bulls and the Knicks. I really don't know why Chicago and New York seemed on cruise control for these games with the Warriors. The Bulls barely came back to win against the Lakers, and New York had a really close game against the Celtics (both of which are playoff teams, but definitely on the decline). Those games were great to watch, but losing to the Warriors in such lazy fashion right after is not an auspicious start. Both the Bulls and the Knicks need to pick it up.

Not to knock the play of the Warriors, but a huge part of their two big wins has been the other teams' complacent play. They'll face the Lakers and Miami shortly, we'll see if they can keep it up.

The Lakers are in for a rough season; they're so big-market and possess Kobe Bryant, every team is going to bring their A-game. Getting a win against The Goddamn Lakers is always a big deal, and everyone senses that they're vulnerable.

The Heat are playing like champions. They almost lost to the Bobcats, but they didn't play lackluster basketball like the Bulls or the Knicks, and clinched the win.

Is this what it feels like to get Dirked? Durant with the hail mary at the buzzer sealed it for OKC.

Dear Dallas:

Is it always going to be like this? My heart can't take it.

Now to settle in for a Knicks game. I only have to watch until the first half is over, since that's when all the good stuff happens. *cynical Knicks fan*

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...almost three weeks since a post.

So, 20% of the way into the season, the C's are 5-8 and Rondo is out most likely for tonight and maybe for another game as his wrist recovers. The towel is not being throw in yet....but it is out of the pocket and in hand. Starting off without Pierce for a few games did hurt, but they just look, well, old. Haven't been able to see anything specific yet, but it is looking like Ainge is going to be moving forward with breaking up the big three this year and trying to rebuild

Wow...almost three weeks since a post.

So, 20% of the way into the season, the C's are 5-8 and Rondo is out most likely for tonight and maybe for another game as his wrist recovers. The towel is not being throw in yet....but it is out of the pocket and in hand. Starting off without Pierce for a few games did hurt, but they just look, well, old. Haven't been able to see anything specific yet, but it is looking like Ainge is going to be moving forward with breaking up the big three this year and trying to rebuild

I've been seeing a lot of reports saying that KG just can't jump properly anymore, and without his defensive presence and ability to get a shot off whenever he likes the Celtics just aren't the same team. Accurate?

Been watching the Rockets bounce back from their 3-7 start with a nice win-streak. Admittedly it's been against some pretty crappy teams, but the team seems to be gelling a bit - Martin even looked like he had his 3-point shot back against the Hornets for a while there. I've had a lot of fun watching Chandler Parsons posterising people. His 360-teabag on JaVale McGee was particularly awesome :D. And Dalembert has been a revelation - the defense we brought him in for, but also some big offensive nights as well. If he can keep putting those up he'll be more than worth what we paid for him.

ST

I haven't had the opportunity to watch many regular season games. I did catch the triple overtime Hawks-Heat some weeks back, and that's about it.

That 360 teabag is AMAZING. I can't stop watching or laughing.

That 360 teabag is AMAZING. I can't stop watching or laughing.

Parsons is nuts, here is is staring down Blake Griffin

The Ricky Rubio show is great, the no touching rules in the NBA suit his game perfectly. He's already played on the world's biggest stages and has no fear. That team is fun to watch, and Rick Adelman just wins wherever he goes.

http://sports.yahoo....?gid=2012012012

“He is unflappable. He missed every shot, and then he makes a big 3 to tie it,” coach Rick Adelman said. “The thing I like about him is that he’s a competitor. He doesn’t back down from anybody and he keeps an even keel. He doesn’t get too high or too low. He just plays. He’s been very good all year. He’s played in the fourth quarter of every game, even when he wasn’t starting.

“He’s got a real gift. He’s a great passer in the open court and he’s just a smart player. You’ve got to give him rope and let him go because he’s got that ability. And because of him, we’ve really kind of changed and simplified things we’ve done just to put the ball in his hands. He’s been better than I thought he was going to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Two days late, but I gotta say I will not be watching anymore Rocket games. Martin is the worst flopper in the game. At least everyones favorite Spur drives to the basket before he drops. Kevin Martin just waits untill someone is near him before launching the ball up and falling.

NBA must add some type of after game review and fine for this bull.

Two days late, but I gotta say I will not be watching anymore Rocket games.  Martin is the worst flopper in the game.  At least everyones favorite Spur drives to the basket before he drops.  Kevin Martin just waits untill someone is near him before launching the ball up and falling.

NBA must add some type of after game review and fine for this bull.

I can ignore his flopping( well, I can try to ) when he's consistently dropping 25 a night, but he's been so inconsistent this year and literally brings nothing to the table when his shots aren't falling. His free throws are also down a considerable amount compared to last year.

I can ignore his flopping( well, I can try to ) when he's consistently dropping 25 a night, but he's been so inconsistent this year and literally brings nothing to the table when his shots aren't falling. His free throws are also down a considerable amount compared to last year.

I think the reason his free-throws are down is because the NBA is actually doing something about the type of play skynjay was objecting to. Martin used to thrive on getting to the line by initiating the contact himself - rip throughs, jumping into people who bite on his pump fakes, etc. With the refs no longer giving him those calls, his game has suffered. I actually think he's flopping quite a bit less than last year, in part because if you're not getting the call, a flop is not a particularly effective tool.

Personally I don't think I'd mind flopping provided the refs are good at spotting and ignoring it. Unfortunately, I don't think they are.

ST

I've been seeing a lot of reports saying that KG just can't jump properly anymore, and without his defensive presence and ability to get a shot off whenever he likes the Celtics just aren't the same team. Accurate?

Been a while. Yeah, this is basically true - he still has the drive & enthusiasm, but the explosiveness is just about gone. They've put together a nice little win streak, Pierce gets into 2nd place on the C's all time scoring list, but given the miles they have I just can't see them having enough left to compete in the playoffs.

Personally I don't think I'd mind flopping provided the refs are good at spotting and ignoring it. Unfortunately, I don't think they are.

I think it is a similar argument for soccer - for me, instead of them ignoring it and letting them play on, penalize the person for doing it. Whether in game or fine after the game, it's unsportsmanlike (again, IMO) to do that.

I'd love to see an official "flop less" edict come down from the powers that be. It ruins my enjoyment of the game watching big men flail around like they have no control over themselves. Windmilling and crashing to the ground is not part of basketball. You do not ever flop in street ball. Would that the players remembered that.

Jeff van Gundy has said before in his commentating that he likes hard, physical basketball (which is why the Knicks under his coaching were a bunch of thinly disguised thugs.... I love the Knicks, but it's true). I do too, to a point. And the refs ought to let players play. All of the players in the professional league are more than capable of playing cleanly when they want to, some just have fits because they know some refs think basketball isn't a contact sport.

Maybe the rulebook needs some revising, with new rules added in for excessive flopping, traveling violations, and carrying.

Edit: It's on hiatus for right now, but you guys may be interested in http://refcalls.com/ and their sister site, topflops.com.

I've seen refs throw technicals for excessive flopping. I wish they'd do that more often, it's pretty rare.

In other news

JEREMY

LIN

JEREMY

LIN

FIRST ASIAN-AMERICAN DUNK EVER

Even though he is from Harvard (a rival Ivy school) I really hope he is for real. I am worried how he may do against the more athletic point guards, but he did well against Wall. I am cautiously optimistic here.

In other news

JEREMY

LIN

JEREMY

LIN

FIRST ASIAN-AMERICAN DUNK EVER

Amazing story. He's been on a tear the past three games. Can we trade the rest of the roster and get him some supporting players now? :)

I am worried how he may do against the more athletic point guards, but he did well against Wall. I am cautiously optimistic here.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that particular matchup. Wall is in a funk and doesn't play a lick of defense. Noone on the Wizards do really (see the ridiculous defense on Lin's dunk).

Still, a great showing by Lin. Hope he keeps it up, he is fun to watch.

Archived