#241 Jaime L

Jaime L

Die Mannschaft is the cruelest animal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,641 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Portland is so cursed.

They were looking so loaded a few years back. Now Roy has retired, they've finally severed ties with Oden who may never play again, and they've let McMillan go at the top. They still have Aldridge to build around, and Nic Batum is a nice asset, but it does seem like they're in complete rebuilding mode now.

It is a bit surprising to see how far Portland has fallen. They had the world on the platter a few years ago. They were supposed to be what OKC is now and maybe woulda been had they taken Durant. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and hard to chalk up what happened to Oden and Roy as anything more than horrendous luck.

#242 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

It is a bit surprising to see how far Portland has fallen. They had the world on the platter a few years ago. They were supposed to be what OKC is now and maybe woulda been had they taken Durant. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and hard to chalk up what happened to Oden and Roy as anything more than horrendous luck.

So, speaking of "how far they have fallen", Agent 0 is back:

http://www.cbssports...-gilbert-arenas

23 games left, $300k, just over $1mm for a full season. Might be worth the risk as long as he has bought a gun cabinet in the interim.

#243 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

There has always been speculation some teams tanked years to get a better draft pick (SA). This however seems to be one that wouldbe eminently provable:
http://sports.yahoo....ut_ankle_032812

If the Drs clear Curry to play and he doesn't, I've got to think that would raise eyebrows and questions. Not to mention the fans view, actually, I think they are stilled boo'd out after the Mullins # retirement.

#244 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

And in this weeks version of WTF....the Celtics are in first place? holy crap the east is full of suckitude.

#245 Calibandar

Calibandar

Herald of Winter

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Incredible performance again by Oklahoma to beat Chicago Bulls. They were up some 35 points after the 3rd quarter and took off both Durant and Westbrook, allowing the Bulls to close the gap to 14 points. Seen a couple of really impressive matches from Oklahoma lately, they also thoroughly took apart the Miami Heat two weeks ago. Amazing team. Ibaka, Perkins and Harden are very good players next to the two superstars as well.

Miami Heat beaten again, this time by Celtics. Orlando also beaten. Celtics have been on a bit of a roll lately. As have the San Antonio Spurs btw, they are on an incredible streak.

So it looks like the playoff teams may look like this ( if I understand it correctly)

West:

Oklahoma
San Antonio
La Lakers
La Clippers
Dallas
Memphis
Denver
Houston

East:

Chicago
Miami
Orlando
Indiana
Atlanta
Boston
Philadelphia
New York

Excellent players that to me seem like they should be transferring to a truly top side:

Kevin Love ( incredible player)
Kyrie Irving
John Wall

Edited by Calibandar, 02 April 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#246 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Kevin Love ( incredible player)

I will be suprised if he leaves MN - they are putting him in place to replace Garnett as the all time Face Of, with good reason. When he came out of UCLA I really thought he'd be a good, above average player but nothing to write home about. Even if the ppg are a product of the team he is on, averaging more than 12 rebounds for his career so far is pretty bad ass. It would be a lot of fun to see this kid surrounded with some more talent.

#247 Biter

Biter

Hired Goon

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

So it looks like the playoff teams may look like this ( if I understand it correctly)

West:

Oklahoma
San Antonio
La Lakers
La Clippers
Dallas
Memphis
Denver
Houston

East:

Chicago
Miami
Orlando
Indiana
Atlanta
Boston
Philadelphia
New York

If these are the playoff teams, that would mean 14 of the 16 teams that qualified last year make the playoffs this year as well. (the other two teams are New Orleans and Portland).

Will Utah be able to pass either Denver or Houston in the standings (they're currently 1.5 games behind both of them)?

Edited by Biter, 02 April 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#248 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

So little going on in the NBA right now that a Bulls 2 game losing streak is news.

And this just in: Blake Griffin isn't human. Wish I could link the follow up dunk he had last night with his eyes level with the rim.

#249 Calibandar

Calibandar

Herald of Winter

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

This is what you mean:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=m4t5U6iiBrg

Great player. Really big guy at 6'9 or 6'10, and then tremendously athletic. My brother-in-law is freakishly tall really at 6' 8.5, and he doesn't have the muscularity or athletic ability of Griffin by a long shot. But as a 6'2 guy myself I am overwhelmed by his size when I get close to him. Pretty amazing to consider that you've got 6 ft point guards who have to make their way past these giants.

#250 Relic

Relic

Haaruk's Mortal Sword

• Members
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Melo had one of those games that reminds everyone why he's a top 10 talent in the NBA and absolutely buried the Bulls. Those threes were so fucking clutch.

#251 Trebla

Trebla

Al Swearing Again

• Forum Moderators
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

That was painful. I'm not used to seeing Rose and Deng both choke. They both have been clutch. But this time they did and Carmelo made them pay. I'm glad this is a home and home. They play again at the UC on Tuesday. Hopefully they can return the favor. Good win for the Knicks.

#252 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

3 games up with 10 to play and the Sxers are looking like yesterdays fish. I would never have guessed that the Celtics could have actually hosted a playoff series this year and right now they're looking at a first round with Atlanta.

#253 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

HELP!

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Grr, why won't you lose, Knicks! I want a lottery pick from you!

On the plus side though, Houston is now 2 games up on 9th spot...looking better and better for a playoff place /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />.

ST

#254 Former Lord of Winterfell

Former Lord of Winterfell

Council Member

• Members
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Anyone else see the Stan van Gundy/Dwight Howard media circus? Never been a huge fan of SVG, but he now vaults into top 5 for my favorite coaches. Dude had no power, was at the mercy of ownership, just twisting in the wind...then completely reverses it by nonchalantly admitting in public that Howard demanded he be fired. Then Howard doesn't know that he did it, and got blindsided by the press after putting his arm around SVG. Classic.

I'm sure ever coach, assistant, water boy, etc. who has ever been hung out to dry by a superstar was on their feet cheering SVG on.

#255 Relic

Relic

Haaruk's Mortal Sword

• Members
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

Im so sick of Dwight Howard and all the bullshit surrounding him and the Magic. The SVG thing was amusing in its awkwardness but enough with these clowns already. Let's focus on the teams and players that want to WIN this year.

#256 Former Lord of Winterfell

Former Lord of Winterfell

Council Member

• Members
  • 13,681 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Im so sick of Dwight Howard and all the bullshit surrounding him and the Magic. The SVG thing was amusing in its awkwardness but enough with these clowns already. Let's focus on the teams and players that want to WIN this year.

Well, I guess that leaves out me and my Cavaliers. We're driving that Sherman right on through till the lottery, baby!

#257 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

100% meat like product

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

And.... Odom finally was cut today by Mark Cuban. This guy was an absolute disaster. Watching him play games this season has been one of the most frustrating things in sports to me. What an incredible waste of space. Dude was caught several times on the court yawning... literally yawning. I hope his actions have consequences and that he is out of the game for good.

#258 BLU-RAY

BLU-RAY

And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

• Members
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

Odom is a mess. IDK who even takes a chance on him; the Lakers could probably, but would he even play for them again? Beyond that, who the hell is going to believe they can get production out of him?

Watch him become a Net by next season. Stamp it.

#259 Calibandar

Calibandar

Herald of Winter

• Members
  • 7,376 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

Im so sick of Dwight Howard and all the bullshit surrounding him and the Magic

Indeed. Even as a recent ( but devoted) NBA follower I have to say this is a total farce. With the transfer window just having ended, and Howard just having signed a new contract with Orlando, why in the world would he now want to leave and requesting for his contract to be annulled? That makes zero sense to me. He either wants to stay, or he doesn't, and if he didn't, he could have gone during the transfer window.

A shame, because he really is a great player.

Great match between the Knicks and the Bulls btw. Carmelo Anthony was superb, Derrick Rose back after 12 matches absence for the Bulls.

#260 Relic

Relic

Haaruk's Mortal Sword

• Members
  • 24,062 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Knicks play the Bulls again tonight. And then play the most important game of the season vs the Bucks on Wed.

Cal, i think you are slightly confused by the Howard stuff. Hie didn't sign a new contract, just agreed to play out the final year of his existing deal. He basically had a player's out clause in his 5 year deal, where he could have opted out after the 4th year to test the free agent market. Secondly, he didn't ask for his newly signed extension to be annulled. The most recent drama surrounded Howard's request to upper management to replace his head coach, Stan Van Gundy, who is a pretty damn good coach but has a attitude that is very different from Dwight's own.