Possible tWOW prologues.

sweet_cersei

mHmmm, interesting, but not sure if the timeline fits, not sure if 9 months happened between the RW and now, and I think that Jeyne had to dring moon tea after the RW.

Well, assuming there is in fact an active rotation pattern in the prologue destinations and victims, it would seem to be this:

Geographically, the Odd Numbered Books (1,3,5) take place beyond the Wall. The Even Numbered Books (2,4) take place in a Southern location we had yet to see (Dragonstone, Oldtown). Of the major castles in Westeros, we haven't had a POV inside Casterly Rock, Storms End or Highgarden yet. Casterly Rock is geographically considered The West. Storms End and Highgarden are pure south.

Also, the POV Characters in the Even Numbered Books have thus far been Maesters. Therefore the Winds POV would then come from either Maester Lomys in Highgarden or Maester Jurne in Storms End. I don't remember either of those characters being mentioned and had to look them up in the Appendix.

What's currently happening in these locations? Highgarden seems to be the most peaceful castle in the kingdom right now, having seen no battles and in no immediate danger of changing that. It's run by the heir, Willas Tyrell, a cripple who we've yet to meet but we've gotten hints that he's much more clever than his father and it might be quite interesting to see where his head is, given what's happening with Cerseai and Aegon and all that.

Speaking of Aegon, last we saw him he was headed to Storms End. He, Connington, and the entire Golden Company, ready to "make the whole realm take notice." In the Arianne Preview Chapter Martin read last year, it is revealed that Aegon and the Golden Company did in fact capture Storms End, and it was "bloody."

So a POV taking place during Aegon's attack on Storms End could be quite interesting.

And one last key ingedient: In all the odd and even numbered books, the POV characters have died due to some kind of magic. Others, Red Priestess, Wights, Faceless Man, Warging-gone-bad.

Between Highgarden and Storms End, which seems more likely to produce a magic-related death of a Maester? Highgarden is, again, a very peaceful seeming place, where one-legged Willas lies around all day like the most peaceful castle in the Kingdom, where Willas Tyrell just lies around all day reading sonnets, eating lemon cakes and writing letters to his pen-pals about horseflesh. Storms End is, however, Storms End. It was designed by Bran the Builder, and "spells are woven into it," much like The Wall. And weirwood exists (in some capacity) at Storms End. That might give Bran an in. Who knows.

But anyway, as of now I'm putting my money of Maester Jurne of Storms End dying in the Winds POV

@The Black Bastard

Well thought out theory. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and because I listed Storm's End falling as a legitimate possibility in my earlier post, I am throwing in with you on this one. Can't wait to quote these posts when we're proven right.

But we've already got Joncon to show us the fall of Storm's End. Unless there was some sort of secret that the prologue character had, it'd be a bit of a waste don't you think, and I can't really think what secret it might be.

I'm also not sure about the Maester side of the pattern. I mean if there was a corresponding thing for the northern POV's like they were all Night's Watch men, then it'd make a bit more sense. I agree with the magical part of things though. Now how could Obara die by magic? Manticore venom on her spear? I can just imagine that. Balon's just escaped from her but she's too tired to pursue, though unharmed. And then:

"Then she saw the cut, slick with black oil..."

@ The Black Bastard

Stannis burned the godswood in Storm's End, so no weirwood inside the castle. Also, Highgarden stands by the Mander, where ironborn are raiding, so it's not all peace and lemoncakes there.

The whole purpose of the even numbered prologues is to introduce a place we've never seen, but will be important later in the book. Storm's End has already appeared, besides the inside going-ons of it are rather useless, unless Martin wants to show us something about Stannis' army far away. And I don't see how Highgarden may appear later in the same book.

So, I don't agree with your theory. My own guess, as stated earlier in this thread, are two possibilities: the Darkstar hunt in the Dornish Marches, although there is no maester we've known there, or Archmaester Marwyn reaching the ruins of Valyria.

I believe it will be Lancel and the scene will be Cersei's trial. Lancel will decapitate or otherwise 'defeat' Robert Strong who promptly kills him despite being injured in such a way that would mean any mortal mans death, and this will show the people of King's Landing what Robert Strong really is.

I believe it will be Lancel and the scene will be Cersei's trial. Lancel will decapitate or otherwise 'defeat' Robert Strong who promptly kills him despite being injured in such a way that would mean any mortal mans death, and this will show the people of King's Landing what Robert Strong really is.

Red-Viper déjà-vu.

Well, assuming there is in fact an active rotation pattern in the prologue destinations and victims, it would seem to be this:

Geographically, the Odd Numbered Books (1,3,5) take place beyond the Wall. The Even Numbered Books (2,4) take place in a Southern location we had yet to see (Dragonstone, Oldtown). Of the major castles in Westeros, we haven't had a POV inside Casterly Rock, Storms End or Highgarden yet. Casterly Rock is geographically considered The West. Storms End and Highgarden are pure south.

Also, the POV Characters in the Even Numbered Books have thus far been Maesters. Therefore the Winds POV would then come from either Maester Lomys in Highgarden or Maester Jurne in Storms End. I don't remember either of those characters being mentioned and had to look them up in the Appendix.

What's currently happening in these locations? Highgarden seems to be the most peaceful castle in the kingdom right now, having seen no battles and in no immediate danger of changing that. It's run by the heir, Willas Tyrell, a cripple who we've yet to meet but we've gotten hints that he's much more clever than his father and it might be quite interesting to see where his head is, given what's happening with Cerseai and Aegon and all that.

Speaking of Aegon, last we saw him he was headed to Storms End. He, Connington, and the entire Golden Company, ready to "make the whole realm take notice." In the Arianne Preview Chapter Martin read last year, it is revealed that Aegon and the Golden Company did in fact capture Storms End, and it was "bloody."

So a POV taking place during Aegon's attack on Storms End could be quite interesting.

And one last key ingedient: In all the odd and even numbered books, the POV characters have died due to some kind of magic. Others, Red Priestess, Wights, Faceless Man, Warging-gone-bad.

Between Highgarden and Storms End, which seems more likely to produce a magic-related death of a Maester? Highgarden is, again, a very peaceful seeming place, where one-legged Willas lies around all day like the most peaceful castle in the Kingdom, where Willas Tyrell just lies around all day reading sonnets, eating lemon cakes and writing letters to his pen-pals about horseflesh. Storms End is, however, Storms End. It was designed by Bran the Builder, and "spells are woven into it," much like The Wall. And weirwood exists (in some capacity) at Storms End. That might give Bran an in. Who knows.

But anyway, as of now I'm putting my money of Maester Jurne of Storms End dying in the Winds POV

Pate was not a Maester.

Pate was not a Maester.

To be fair, he was a Maester in training, so it still kinda works. That being said, I'm not entirely sure this pattern is anything more than coincidence. The magic thing is a good point though. EIther way, we'll know for sure with tWoW. If it starts with a Maester, then there's definitely a purposeful pattern here.

That would be, to put it lightly, super awesome. I can't see the trial happening so quickly or without any lead up, though.

To be fair, he was a Maester in training, so it still kinda works. That being said, I'm not entirely sure this pattern is anything more than coincidence. The magic thing is a good point though. EIther way, we'll know for sure with tWoW. If it starts with a Maester, then there's definitely a purposeful pattern here.

It's a bit of a stretch but quite a bit less crackpot than other theories out there. Which, I realise, is not saying much.

Only time will tell!

That would be, to put it lightly, super awesome. I can't see the trial happening so quickly or without any lead up, though.

Well, it has been built up the entirity of aDwD. I think it will be a great way to start the book with a bang and show the readers that this novel will be more fast-paced than the previous two. Atleast, that's what I hope it will.

Archived