The Black Library

Lord of the Night

Is there anybody else here who reads the Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k novels?

They are my all time favourites, from the huge series like Gotrek and Felix and Ultramarines to the stand-alone novels like Daemon World and Blood Gorgons. In fact if it wasn't for Black Library I would never have gotten into reading sci-fi, and then again Black Library got me interested in Fantasy by Malus Darkblade who will forever remain one of my favourite fantasy series and characters, and if it hadn't been for that I would never have read ASOIAF. So I pretty much owe my literary interest to Black Library and authors like Graham McNeill, Mike Lee, C.L Werner and Dan Abnett.

Some of my favourite series from the Black Library are...

The Night Lords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden

One of the best Space Marine stories in the entire range, and they are Chaos Space Marines to boot so its ten times better. Perhaps the only series with villains that are undeniably evil yet sympathetic and ones you can root for over the heroes. Other novels have likeable villains but none of them were every sympathetic, when they got killed you felt they deserved it. When a Night Lord dies in the series, apart from one very satisfying death, its a harsh thing that makes you feel sorry for that particular warrior. Its also very funny, one of my favourite scenes in the first novel Soul Hunter is one of the funniest moments in the series, The protagonists, First Claw, a group of Space Marines which are genetically altered superhumans that stand at eight ft tall, are standing in a burnt out prison on a conquered world, their squad leader has just walked off to meet Abaddon the Despoiler, the Warmaster of Chaos who is one of the most powerful beings in existence with a notorious short temper, they are being guarded by two Terminators, elite warriors in armour that makes them walking battle-tanks, and the character Cyrion, whose voice is described as like rumbling thunder, merely looks at them and says, "So.... how are you?" Absurd and hilarious.

The Chronicles of Malus Darkblade by Dan Abnett and Mike Lee

The series that got me into Fantasy, that led me to others like Sword of Truth and A Song of Ice and Fire. Malus Darkblade is a great anti-hero that is a joy to read not because he's the best fighter, its repeatedly proven that he isn't; not because he's the smartest, again others have outsmarted him; not because he's the most powerful, he is the hated 5th son of a family and isn't even permitted to have the same last name as them. But because he never gives up. Malus fights against impossible odds and never quits, despite being possessed by a Daemon who owns his soul and with a year to recover five artefacts scattered around his homeland with his only constant ally being his faithful mount Spite, a mix of a T-Rex and a raptor, or else be damned forever, and even with that Daemon chattering in his head and his entire family out to get him or use him up, Malus soldiers on.

Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium by Sandy Mitchell

One of the funniest series i've ever read. Cain is an odd hero, he's a Commissar attached to an Imperial Guard regiment, responsible for maintaining discipline and order, and for advising commanders and he has saved more worlds than most ever see through his actions. And his driving motivation is to get the hell out of the fighting and survive long enough to enjoy a comfortable retirement. As he says it best, "The problem with being in mortal danger for most of your life is that people tend to assume you like being in mortal danger and go out of their way to provide it for you." Written in a first-person format from Cain's memoirs as he finally earned his semi-peaceful retirement Cain, along with some helpful additions and footnotes from Amberly Vail of the Inquisition, tells the stories of his accomplishments and what was really going through his head when he, nearly always silently unwillingly, went into danger countless times, aided only by his reeking and utterly stoic and unflappable aide Gunner Ferik Jurgen. A really great series about either a coward or a true hero with a immense inferiority complex, the author isn't even sure himself, so make of that what you will.

So does anybody else here read Black Library? And if so what are your favourite novels and series? And why?

LotN

Love the Gotrek and Felix novels, they really captured the atmosphere of a doomed but stubborn world. The characters were interesting, the demons were suitably creepy, the descriptions bleak without bogging down the narrative into a mire of depressing hopelessness.

Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium by Sandy Mitchell

One of the funniest series i've ever read. Cain is an odd hero, he's a Commissar attached to an Imperial Guard regiment, responsible for maintaining discipline and order, and for advising commanders and he has saved more worlds than most ever see through his actions. And his driving motivation is to get the hell out of the fighting and survive long enough to enjoy a comfortable retirement. As he says it best, "The problem with being in mortal danger for most of your life is that people tend to assume you like being in mortal danger and go out of their way to provide it for you." Written in a first-person format from Cain's memoirs as he finally earned his semi-peaceful retirement Cain, along with some helpful additions and footnotes from Amberly Vail of the Inquisition, tells the stories of his accomplishments and what was really going through his head when he, nearly always silently unwillingly, went into danger countless times, aided only by his reeking and utterly stoic and unflappable aide Gunner Ferik Jurgen. A really great series about either a coward or a true hero with a immense inferiority complex, the author isn't even sure himself, so make of that what you will.

I absolutely loved Ciaphas Cain. His lying and manipulating, his comments on all involved (most of all Sulla's horsefaced braying), and most of all his swashbuckling. I laughed out loud in the first part of Hero of the Imperium, after he is introduced to his regiments and promptly finds himself with a mutiny on his hands. The notes by Vail are also quite funny. I don't really think he is a coward, though, because he stands up and fights when he as to. He just prefers not be around when that happens...

And I learned what a "callipygous spectacle" means. Hint: it involves Colonel Kasteen.

So does anybody else here read Black Library? And if so what are your favourite novels and series? And why?

I started with Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts somewhere last year. I liked it more than I thought I would, enough to keep reading. I was afraid they'd be easy stories with little to no depth, and easy wins for the good guys (like Drizzt in the 40K universe). I'm glad to say, they were a lot better than that. Abnett had to find his stride, but with Necropolis, he's there. I also read his Eisenhorn ominbus, which I thought was OK too, but it started to get a bit repetitive. One thing that sets me back a bit, though, is that I'm not very familiar with the 40K universe. I had some friends that played the boardgame in the nineties, but that's all I ever saw. Some things which are crystal clear for the afficionado's (for instance Titans) meant nothing to me. Not that there was no getting around that, but it detracted from the read. What got me going eventually was reading Wert's reviews of Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain.

I've also read the Ultramarines omnibus by Graham McNeill. That was not as good as Abnett. I'm not sure if I like the Space Marines storylines. I have a few Horus Heresy novels on my shelf, together with the Blood Angels omnibus, all of which I found secondhand for a few bucks. Don't know when I'll get to them though.

Yup, love me some Black Library. Gotrek and Felix are great fun. I have the Malus Omnibus on my shelf but haven't read it.

Read the Eisenorn and Ravenor trilogies and the first Gaunts Ghost omnibus this year and enjoyed all of them. Eisenhorn and Ravenor were my favorites but I definitely enjoyed the intro into the Gaunt series.

Love the 40k universe.Edit: I agree with Antonius. Going in, I was afraid it was just a forgotten realms clone. Definitely several steps above that though. I have found most of what I have read highly enjoyable. And im definitely going to read the ciaphas Cain series.

I absolutely loved Ciaphas Cain. His lying and manipulating, his comments on all involved (most of all Sulla's horsefaced braying), and most of all his swashbuckling. I laughed out loud in the first part of Hero of the Imperium, after he is introduced to his regiments and promptly finds himself with a mutiny on his hands. The notes by Vail are also quite funny. I don't really think he is a coward, though, because he stands up and fights when he as to. He just prefers not be around when that happens...

And I learned what a "callipygous spectacle" means. Hint: it involves Colonel Kasteen.

I love his political manoeuvring as well. But one thing about Cain that I really love is his swordplay, he is amazing with his chainsword. Best example is in The Traitor's Hand when he duels a World Eater and actually holds his ground, in that situation 99.5% of mortals would have been crushed without effort, Cain was actually able to stand up to a Berzerker, one of the galaxy's most fierce fighters, and insult him at the same time. I also don't think he's a coward, I think he's a hero who thinks the worst of himself and doesn't recognize his accomplishments.

Yeah hehe that was a funny scene. Was surprised he never tried to 'recreate' with her.

I started with Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts somewhere last year. I liked it more than I thought I would, enough to keep reading. I was afraid they'd be easy stories with little to no depth, and easy wins for the good guys (like Drizzt in the 40K universe). I'm glad to say, they were a lot better than that. Abnett had to find his stride, but with Necropolis, he's there. I also read his Eisenhorn ominbus, which I thought was OK too, but it started to get a bit repetitive. One thing that sets me back a bit, though, is that I'm not very familiar with the 40K universe. I had some friends that played the boardgame in the nineties, but that's all I ever saw. Some things which are crystal clear for the afficionado's (for instance Titans) meant nothing to me. Not that there was no getting around that, but it detracted from the read. What got me going eventually was reading Wert's reviews of Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain.

I've also read the Ultramarines omnibus by Graham McNeill. That was not as good as Abnett. I'm not sure if I like the Space Marines storylines. I have a few Horus Heresy novels on my shelf, together with the Blood Angels omnibus, all of which I found secondhand for a few bucks. Don't know when I'll get to them though.

Gaunt's Ghosts is good but I feel its overrated. Too many of its original cast have died and the series is nearing its end, the current arc titled The Victory is likely the second last arc. Eisenhorn is better, though Hereticus was a bit weaker than the others. That said Cherubael kicked ass in it and was dripping with awesomeness in every scene he was in. I had read about 40k for a bit before I got into the novels but if I ever found something that I didn't understand I just looked it up on the Lexicanum, it provides answers quickly.

As for Space Marines I prefer their stories. Chaos Marines especially. Ultramarines is good but its not the best Space Marine story, if you consider giving the Astartes a second chance I would recommend the following as great reading for them. Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, The Tome of Fire trilogy by Nick Kyme (Salamander, Firedrake, Nocturne.), and definitely the Horus Heresy. Best series i've ever read and it has Garviel Loken, one of 40k's greatest characters. If you read the Heresy you'll learn why the 40k universe is such a crappy place and why the Imperium has degraded over time.

Love the Gotrek and Felix novels, they really captured the atmosphere of a doomed but stubborn world. The characters were interesting, the demons were suitably creepy, the descriptions bleak without bogging down the narrative into a mire of depressing hopelessness.

Yeah G&F are brilliant, my favourite of that series though is Grey Seer Thanquol (My avatar shows Thanquol with his mighty horns and staff.) There has never been a cooler villain, he is a genius of incredible proportions, a mighty sorcerer to be feared, a cunning plotter that cannot be outsmarted and he is the chosen of the Horned Rat... or that is what he thinks at least. Thanquol is my favourite fictional character, and his own series is in my Top 3 series. If anybody can kill Gotrek and Felix, it'll be Thanquol.

LotN

IS there a website with any sort of comprehensive listing of all these anywhere? Anytime I even think about it I look at the shelves and shelves of warhammer related books and go GAH. And the wiki page hasnt been updated in years, so poo.

Yeah G&F are brilliant, my favourite of that series though is Grey Seer Thanquol (My avatar shows Thanquol with his mighty horns and staff.) There has never been a cooler villain, he is a genius of incredible proportions, a mighty sorcerer to be feared, a cunning plotter that cannot be outsmarted and he is the chosen of the Horned Rat... or that is what he thinks at least. Thanquol is my favourite fictional character, and his own series is in my Top 3 series. If anybody can kill Gotrek and Felix, it'll be Thanquol.

Damn it's been years. Have to check this out.

@Grack - not sure if there is anything comprehensive but I'd start with the first Felix and Gotrek omnibus.

Just picked up "Age of Darkness", edited by Dunn - An anthology that has stories covering odds and ends from teh Horus Heresy. I quite enjoyed it, the stories are all pretty solid, and shine a light into some of nooks and crannies the novels miss...or hint at.

The last company of loyal Iron Warriors, a squad of uncorrupted Thousand Sons, a handful of Salamanders...

I've always enjoyed the over the top universe, ever since the first Jac Draco novel, but the Black Library stuff I've read over the last 10 years seems to be a step up in writing, books I'd enjoy even if they weren't tie-ins.

Of the Heresy novels...I think Fulgrim might be my favourite, although the Alpha Legion novel is amzing, and Titanicus is another well worth reading.

So these are good? Cause looking at the website they look pretty, I don't know, cheesy looking. I hear a lot of good things about Dan Abnett so how are those "Malus Darkbane" or whatever books?

They're cheesy. Incredibly, unapologetically and awesomely so.

There has never been a cooler villain, he is a genius of incredible proportions, a mighty sorcerer to be feared, a cunning plotter that cannot be outsmarted and he is the chosen of the Horned Rat... or that is what he thinks at least. Thanquol is my favourite fictional character, and his own series is in my Top 3 series. If anybody can kill Gotrek and Felix, it'll be Thanquol.

I loved how in Temple of the Serpent A) He was the only survivor and B) The Slann let him live becuase he figured with his tendency for backstabbing he'd cause way more damage to his own kind than to anyone else :P

• 2 weeks later...

I only just started with these books, and I began (as they say you should) with Abnett's GAUNT'S GHOSTS omnibus THE FOUNDING. I read FIRST & ONLY part a few months back and really enjoyed it, then GHOSTMAKER right after whcih I liked, but for different reasons (namely character depth of the Ghosts)...then I took a break.

So now I just started NECROPOLIS and it's AMAZING so far.

I've heard the Cain books should be next on my list. But so far, I am absolutely LOVING the BL books.

I hear such good things about Abnett so I started looking around. And, my library has like six Warhammer books. I just don't see my self buying them, as most EU books from SW are one time reads only for me, I am guessing these would be the same. Maybe Ill drop on Gaunt's Ghost some time just to get the experience.

I hear such good things about Abnett so I started looking around. And, my library has like six Warhammer books. I just don't see my self buying them, as most EU books from SW are one time reads only for me, I am guessing these would be the same. Maybe Ill drop on Gaunt's Ghost some time just to get the experience.

As someone who also reads SW EU (and yeah, I usually only read them once as well) I can see how you'd think that. But I actually feel that BL books are a bit more epic and therefore a bit more re-readable.

Yeah, doing up the first GG Omnibus to see if you dig it would be good, that's what I did.

The "Lost" books for GG (3 books inthe series), are really good. Abnett writes a ton, and I think he likes to try new tricks for different books, so he doesn't get bored. As a result, they seem to avoid getting stale or too boiler plated.

Mind you - Picked up a used copy of "Battle for the Abyss", by Counter. It's pretty, umm, weak, style wise. Reads like a poorly edited first draft.

Archived