The Black Library

Lord of the Night

Mark of Damnation, by James Wallis (former Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay publisher/guru) is a pretty good read if you can get a copy.

I say that with the conviction of someone who read the first 100 pages or so last night without realising it was so late. It's a tale of mystery, spies, intrigue, honour, tentacles and grime that is somewhat akin to a Song of Ice and Fire.

There's also a sequel, but after that the author and BL parted ways. Shame, as there were two more novels planned.

Karl Hoche is a proud army officer, sworn to destroy the insidious forces of Chaos. Having unveiled a dark plot within the Reiksguard, Hoche attracts the attention of a clandestine group sworn to combat the Runious Powers. His new life leads him into the heart of the enemy, where a hideous transformation begins... Still loyal to Sigmar, but hounded by those he seeks to protect, Hoche must keep his dark secret and resist the temptations of Chaos long enough to ensure victory for the Empire.

I also read the Space marines omnibus by Graham McNeill. i really liked Nightbringer and Dead Sky, Black Sun but found the second one Warriors of Ultramar kinda drab. The novel was mostly about a Tyrannid invasion and lacked any real intrigue like the other two, although I really liked the parts with Snowdog.

I just don't see my self buying them, as most EU books from SW are one time reads only for me, I am guessing these would be the same. Maybe Ill drop on Gaunt's Ghost some time just to get the experience.

Speaking as someone who's enjoyed quite a few of the Star Wars EU book (well, a few anyway), I can safely say that the BL output I've read so far blows them all off the table (except maybe Traitor). It helps that the WH40K universe is a lot more varied and Games Workshop seems to encourage a lot more tonal variety (from ultra grimdark to comedy) from its authors. Or it may just be that they seriously lucked out and got some authors (at least Abnett and Mitchell, but I've heard solid things about McNeill and Brown as well) that wipe the floor with the EU lot, obviously apart from Stover.

So now I just started NECROPOLIS and it's AMAZING so far.

The first two books are okay, but it's Necropolis where shit gets real. It's epic with a slice of epic on top and the whole thing drowned in epic sauce. It may be the best book in the GG series, which may sound harsh (Abnett has writen 11 books in the series since) but isn't meant to be. Several of the others are only molecules short in brilliance, but Necropolis - the SF equivalent of the Battle of Stalingrad with the Ghosts acting as the Red Army trying to hold a city that is almost indefensible. - is hard to beat.

The first two books are okay, but it's Necropolis where shit gets real. It's epic with a slice of epic on top and the whole thing drowned in epic sauce. It may be the best book in the GG series, which may sound harsh (Abnett has writen 11 books in the series since) but isn't meant to be. Several of the others are only molecules short in brilliance, but Necropolis - the SF equivalent of the Battle of Stalingrad with the Ghosts acting as the Red Army trying to hold a city that is almost indefensible. - is hard to beat.

Yep, that's defo the vibe I'm getting from it. I'm enjoying the shit out of it so far!

I haven't decided if I'm going to go straight into the next GG omnibus (THE SAINT I believe) or try out Ciaphas Cain next in my BL reads.

I'm trying to remember, but there are some minor references to the GG series in CC (they're different series by different authors, but take place in the same universe, with the GG taking place 200-300 years earlier) when Cain ponders on how to handle his commissar duties with his occasional forays into direct military command, and cites Gaunt's experiences as inspiration. I don't think there's much in the way of spoilers (I understand that other BL authors are not allowed to make any reference to the outcome of the Sabbat Worlds campaign so as not to restrict what Abnett can do in the remaining books), but it may be marginally more advisable to read most of the GG books before switching to CC.

Also remember there's the brilliance of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies to check out as well ;)

I'm trying to remember, but there are some minor references to the GG series in CC (they're different series by different authors, but take place in the same universe, with the GG taking place 200-300 years earlier) when Cain ponders on how to handle his commissar duties with his occasional forays into direct military command, and cites Gaunt's experiences as inspiration. I don't think there's much in the way of spoilers (I understand that other BL authors are not allowed to make any reference to the outcome of the Sabbat Worlds campaign so as not to restrict what Abnett can do in the remaining books), but it may be marginally more advisable to read most of the GG books before switching to CC.

Also remember there's the brilliance of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies to check out as well ;)

All noted. Thanks Wert. ;)

Wow, people getting me all excited about some of these, and there is almost zero kindle crossover on these, plus my library doesn't think they are around. I do not have room on my shelfs for more tie in novels!

All the BL books are available as ebooks for Kindle, but strangely you can't buy them from amazon, only from the official Black Library website: http://www.blacklibrary.com/ebooks

I've only read Ciaphas Cain so far and really enjoyed the series. It's a bit repetitive at times, but still great entertainment. I've avoided the more serious books of the BL so far, but after Werthead's post I'm really tempted to get Eisenhorn...

All the BL books are available as ebooks for Kindle, but strangely you can't buy them from amazon, only from the official Black Library website: http://www.blacklibrary.com/ebooks

I've only read Ciaphas Cain so far and really enjoyed the series. It's a bit repetitive at times, but still great entertainment. I've avoided the more serious books of the BL so far, but after Werthead's post I'm really tempted to get Eisenhorn...

Weird. I didn't even know that was an option. Thanks.

Both Eisenhorn and Ravenor are very good. Definitely give them a shot. Wertheads reviews are actually what convinced me to try them. I'm pretty much hooked on 40k now.

Sorry, bad typing on my part. Bought the first Eisenhorn book. Site says they are not doing omnibuses in ebook format, so I thought I would risk the money on one, then look for omnibus if I like it(would still be cheaper to buy first book AND omnibus than all three books on kindle, how crazy is that?)

I don't know. Not a big fan of their whole system ATM. How can making it harder to get books be a good buisness plan? Here I want to try something new and most likey cool, and I can't find the damn books. And my order didn't go through, so I don't even have the first book like I thought.

Ill try again another time.

True, their ebook prices are ridiculous. Even the Ciaphas Cain short stories are 2.99€ each, when in print they're part of an omnibus along with three full books for 12€... With Eisenhorn it's similiar, so I'll probably get them in print as well.

Likely because GW is, like, scarey with how much control they have over where you can get product from. Basically - them. They don't much like middlemen eating their profits.

Did you know.......GW's games are based on a system they stole? And lost a lawsuit over?

Ya. Obviously selling directly from site cuts middle man, but now this is how its going to work. Rather than pay the 15 the omnibus would cost directly from website if priced ebook were same as their print version, I will get it for 10.20 from Amazon(using a gift card), whom you know they sold it to for a bit less than that. Ya, they still get their money, but it doesn't make sense to me, especially as their own site recomends the omnibus as a starting point. Doesn't the pusher wasnt to get a gateway drug into your hands, THEN start milking you for more cash?

Archived