36 replies to this topic

#1 7V3N

7V3N

Balancing Act

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

Why did Tywin choose Tyrion to go back to King's Landing to act as Hand of the King? I have always wondered. Kevan would have made more sense considering Tywin's disposition toward Tyrion. I know that Tyrion would be a great Hand, but Tywin always sees him as a disappointment, lackwit, and incapable.

#2 LuisDantas

LuisDantas

Morituri Delendi

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Whoever he sent would end up in conflict with Cersei and Joffrey (or else fail to fulfill his mission). Tyrion was eager enough to prove himself and was seen as "expendable" by Tywin.

A very smart decision by Tywin, I must admit.

#3 Alexia

Alexia

Sailing the Stanvos Ship

• Members
  • 8,255 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Tywin doesn't see Tyrion as a lackwit or incapable, else he wouldn't have sent him. And he relies on Kevan and wanted him close for his advice.

#4 zmflavius

zmflavius

Mister Doctor Professor

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm fairly certain that Tywin is aware that Tyrion is fairly mentally agile, almost certainly more so than Kevan, who is still reasonably intelligent. I'm also fairly certain that Tywin was aware that Tyrion was of no use traveling with an army. Finally, Tywin needed someone reasonably loyal to him in KL, and Tyrion fit the bill. Basically, on a scale of 1-10, Tyrion probably ranked around 7-8 in terms of his ability to manage the city, maneuver against Varys, Littlefinger, and Cersei, and control Joffrey, while Kevan ranked perhaps 6-7. However, Kevan ranks the same level in military matters, whereas Tyrion is at best a 3, or a 1, excluding his clansmen, who are of dubious military worth anyways. Basically, it's more efficient to send Tyrion and keep Kevan as an adjutant or something.

#5 Lions-and-Roses

Lions-and-Roses

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

I think Tywin wanted Kevan at his side to help him with the strategies in battle. Tyrion was his only other choice, if you ask me.

#6 LadyRayRay

LadyRayRay

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

in military matters, whereas Tyrion is at best a 3, or a 1

This is a good point. Tyrion did not really prove himself in battle. He's not physically capable of being a war-hero. But it's obvious to readers as well as the characters in the book that Tyrion has a sharp mind (he says so himself) and his cunning is a weapon most needed at pulling the strings in King's Landing.

#7 7V3N

7V3N

Balancing Act

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

Looking at the family tree, it seems that Tytos had no siblings (although I'm horrible with remembering the Lannister family line) so Tywin's had few family members that he could trust.

#8 Francisco R. Fonseca

Francisco R. Fonseca

Squire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think Tywin knows Tyrion's intelligent as well and can thrive in KL. He knows how to play various people and use hus cunning since that's all he admittedly has. Kevan is needed to offer strategic advice whereas Tyrion has no real ability to lead troops.

Edited by Francisco R. Fonseca, 18 March 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#9 sumant30

sumant30

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

I think Tywin knows Tyrion's intelligent as well and can thrive in KL. He knows how to play various people and use hus cunning since that's all he admittedly has. Kevan is needed to offer strategic advice whereas Tyrion has no real ability to lead troops.

I agree with you, tywin lannister is a very able commander as well as he knows the people he has with him.

#10 Cory

Cory

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I agree that Tyrion is intelligent, I believe he will do very well, and be a great hand of the king. However, I doubt tywin thinks as highly of him, tywin does not have Great love for Tyrion, gave him a suicide mission in the battle, additional evidence is, jaimie lannister is a member of tge kings guard he may father no children, take no wives, hold no lands. Tywin still has not made Tyrion ( oldest living son) heir of casterly rock but rather gives Jaimie the honor, which he may never accept. Tywin believes in two things, gold and his family (blood, lagacy etc. ) he does not name Tyrion hand to honor him, but to make sure his family stays powerful in KL

#11 Mephesto

Mephesto

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think that Tywin believes that Tyrion is smart, and cunning, and has a sharp enough tongue to reel Joffrey in.

Outwordly Twyin does dispise his son, but after all he is is son, I do think that deep down he loves and respects Tyrion, but is unable to show that because he deems it weak.

We all know how important the appearance of strenght is to the Lannisters.

#12 Cory

Cory

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

And not to mention tywin blames Tyrion for the death of his beloved wife

#13 podrick_payne45

podrick_payne45

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think Kevan would have been a solid choice. But i think he thought that Tyrion would be more capable of handling Cersi and Joffery. I think Twyin was concerned that Cersi would screw everything up and he thought Tyrion had the smarts, personality, and Ba** to handle the King and Queen Regent.

#14 Mephesto

Mephesto

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Later on in the series other characters say that Tywin did leave a true heir (in terms of a child that was just like him and able to carry on the Lannister name the way that he intended) and they say that the heir is not Jaime, not Cersei, but Tyrion.

Tyrion has the characteristics that make Tywin great. He just has to do it with a stunted body. Although that is probably the thing that makes him so much like his father. Tywin was trying deperately to overcome the image of his father being weak and passive, and disgracing the Lannister name, and Tyrion is desparately trying to overcome his horrific body, and both had the goal of being respected and/or feared by all men.

Jaime was the son of the great Lord Tywin, he had all the money in the world, he was gorgeous, and an incredible fighter, he didn't really have anything to over come.

Cersei is gorgeous, rich, but mentally she isn't stable enough to run the kingdom the way that Twyin would.

I do think that Tywin can see just how much like him Tyrion is regardless if he will admit it to himself or not.

#15 WakeTheDragon

WakeTheDragon

Hedge Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

I agree that Tyrion is intelligent, I believe he will do very well, and be a great hand of the king. However, I doubt tywin thinks as highly of him, tywin does not have Great love for Tyrion, gave him a suicide mission in the battle, additional evidence is, jaimie lannister is a member of tge kings guard he may father no children, take no wives, hold no lands. Tywin still has not made Tyrion ( oldest living son) heir of casterly rock but rather gives Jaimie the honor, which he may never accept. Tywin believes in two things, gold and his family (blood, lagacy etc. ) he does not name Tyrion hand to honor him, but to make sure his family stays powerful in KL

Jamie and Cersei are older than Tyrion. Their mother died birthing Tyrion.

#16 Cory

Cory

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Yes, my point on why tywin/ cersei hate Tyrion so.

#17 Quentyn Baratheon

Quentyn Baratheon

Council Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

Well, Tywin/Kevan duo work really well, and as jaime is not with him, he makes use of the only son left.
And as a bonus, he gets rid of the mountain clans.

#18 BoarHunter

BoarHunter

Commoner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

In the book Tyrion also says something like (no exact quote because i dont have the book at hand)

You've already given him up havn't you?

I think Tyrion is sent to KL because Jaime has just been captured, Tywin has a war to fight and thinks Jaime is already dead. He suddenly realises that Tyrion needs some experience in ruling.

#19 smithy

smithy

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Wasn't it because Jaime was being held by Robb? Tywin wanted one of his sons to do it for him?

#20 PrinceOberyn

PrinceOberyn

Freerider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

The one who Tywin really trusted was Kevan, he is his best counselor. But he couldnt get rid of him for battle, Kevan was too worth. He needed all his bannermen to keep the strenght, and he didnt rely on them to rule in KL. Jaime was KO, so he just had Tyrion, who Tywin already knew was capable of the work, although he hated him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyrion, tywin, hand, lannister, kings landing, hand of the king